Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
RedLeif508

Default Pilum rules?

I was wondering if anyone had special rules for the Roman pilum?
"If it hits and the opponent has a shield that absorbs damage the defender drops his shield." or something like this?

I'm very new to TFT and only have just received the Melee and Wizard rules in PDF from SJG/Kickstarter.

thanks
Old 09-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Pilum rules?

Personally, I want some adjusted shield rules anyway, especially for missiles, as I think they'd tend to either strike the shield for no damage to the wearer, or hit the wearer and not the shield, so I'd tend to replace the hits stopper per attack with some sort of roll which detemines that, such as adding a different-colored die to a to-hit roll on shielded people, and then if it's less than or equal to a number (say normal shield rating +1, so):

Small Shield: 2
Large Shield: 3
Tower Shield: 4

The weapon hits the shield and does no damage to the wearer.

Depending on the weapon, though, it might stick in the shield, with a similar chance such as:

arrow/quarrel/pilum*: 4
javelin/spear/axe: 1
mace/club: 0

Every pilum or axe stuck in a shield probably gives the user both the added encumbrance weight of the weapon, and about -2 DX per weapon stuck in the shield. The shield can still be carried, but you'll likely want to drop it and/or somehow get rid of the stuff in your shield. A normal weapon stuck in your shield may just take an action to remove, but removing a pilum that's penetrated could be harder... not sure exactly - I'd probably do a bit more research before finalizing details.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
hcobb

Roll to miss the shield, with some penalty for the larger shields?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
larsdangly

Here's my treatment of the pilum, from my longstanding house rules:

Pilum: The Pilum is a javelin with an intentionally bendable metal shaft and a wide, square head. Its purpose (beyond hurting people) is to stick through a shield, rendering it unusable in combat. If a shield is used to block or parry a thrown Pilum, roll 1 die; on a 1-3, it sticks through the shield. It may be removed with a successful 3d saving throw vs. DX, but otherwise the shield is useless.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Here's my treatment of the pilum, from my longstanding house rules:
If a shield is used to block or parry a thrown Pilum, roll 1 die; on a 1-3, it sticks through the shield. It may be removed with a successful 3d saving throw vs. DX, but otherwise the shield is useless.
That is good. I may use this but will try the following first:
If a shield is used to DEFEND against a thrown Pilum and the attack fails, the defender must pass 3/DX or drop his shield. The shield can be readied on another turn by passing 3/ST to remove the Pilum from the shield.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
XRaysVision

Plus, it shouldn't be able to be used twice or as a stabbing type spear. These, of course, are scenario based rules. So, if you have a scenario, or melee, involving a pilum apply as necessary. Likewise if you have a scenario involving a hoplite, you probably don't want to allow him the throw his spear.

As I see it, it's your game, make it do what you want it to. If it makes sense to both players, then you'll not have any arguments (as long as you make the special rules clear before you begin).

Last edited by XRaysVision; 09-23-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Auto correct doesn't know pilum
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
RedLeif508

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
As I see it, it's your game, make it do what you want it to.
great point
Old 09-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
platimus

Quote:
As I see it, it's your game, make it do what you want it to
This is true. I'm tempted to generalize my little house rule to all thrown pole-arms.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote