Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 09-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
hal

Default Revisting Traveller Ship designs

Hello Folks,
Has anyone revisited the older ship designs in light of the rules from GURPS TRAVELLER: STARSHIPS?

The only reason I ask is because I took the time to revisit the ship design process in light of the "compact bridge" option as well as the Smaller Utility module (for ships up to 250 dtons in volume) and other odds and ends.

For instance, the Sulieman class ship when all is said and done, has a cargo capacity of 12.5 dtons not inclusive of the turret space. When I went about redesigning the the ship using GURPS MODULAR VEHICLES (software) a repository that had a bit more of the GURPS TRAVELLER STARSHIPS material in it, along with ONE minor change on a module - I was able to build the same ship using the same performance values (ie 2.3 G manuever drive, 4 staterooms, etc) same DR, same compartmentalization etc. My final design however, ended up with 16 dtons worth of cargo space instead of 12.5

How?

I created a module called "Manuever Drive 10/Improved". The stats on that module were based on GURPS VEHICLES and upgrading the thrust from the original 40 tons to 49 tons. This changed the stats to read as follows:

Volume: 1 dton
Mass: 4.165 stons
Cost: .196 MCr
Crew: .0167
stons Thrust: 49
stons Lift: 49
Power (Mw): 4.9

I had noted that the amount of volume used for the TL 10 manuever drive was less than the volume (by percent) of the other tech level 12 drives, and then upped it to come closer to the volume by percentage. By upping the thrust to 49, I could get the approximate same thrust with 5 thruster units as would have taken 6 with the original 40 ton thruster.

In any event, I wondered if anyone has revisited the old designs and upgraded them per GURPS TRAVELLER STARSHIPS?

For what it is worth, when I got the deck plans for the Empress Marava, it showed an extra stateroom than was supposed to be there based on its stats. As a consequence, I created the "improved" thrusters, used those on the Empress to get enough space savings, in order to have a "half stateroom" added. That design got called the Empress Marava Model B.

Just curious to see if I should include that in the list of ships that I've done. Thus far, it looks as my other thread isn't really anything anyone else wants. If others would like for other designs to be added - I'll be content to do so. If anyone else wants to ADD designs they've done, that's good too.

If no one is interested, that's no biggie either. ;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Pomphis

Default Re: Revisting Traveller Ship designs

I noticed the empty space in the TL10 thruster too, but only improved to get 48 tons thrust. I did it with VE2, These are my TL10 non-weapon Systems:

Missile Guidance Module, TL10: 2.75 tons, 0.25 dt, 3.9375 MCr
100x LR-Lasercom, 100x Hardened Robot Minicomputer DX+2, Gunner (Missile) -14

Area Jammer -7 Module, TL10: 1.5 tons, 0.25 dt, 0.375 MCr

ECM-6, TL10: 1.3 tons, 0.25 dt, 1.155 MCr
Area Jammer -6, Deceptive Jammer -6, 1.1 MW Fusion

Fighter Sensors, TL10: 23.375 tons, 2 dt, 17.725 MCr
2x AirSearch AESA Scan 42, 2x PESA Scan 40, Radscanner Scan 34

Recon Sensors, TL10: 24.375 tons, 2 dt, 28.525 MCr
2x PESA Scan 42, Radscanner Scan 36

HP-M-Drive, TL10: 4.08 tons, 1 dt, 0.192 MCr
48 tons thrust, 4.8 MW Fusion

Drone Module, TL10: 1.783 tons, 1 dt, 0.0777 MCr
Spacedock for 90 cf, 1 Airlock, 3 Roomy Crewstations with G-seat/Crashweb/Terminal/Superior Access,
3 VLR-Lasercom, Hardened Microframe, 5 kw Fusion

Full Life Support, TL 10: 8.28 tons, 1 dt, 0.085 MCr
Start-Up & 80 Full Life Support

Total Life Support, TL 10: 4.44. tons, 1 dt, 0.04 MCr
Start-Up & 20 Total Life Support

Bridge Addition: 0.21 tons, 1 dt, 0.02 MCr
4x Roomy Crewstation with Bridge Access, G-Seat, Crashweb, Terminal, HUD/Pupilscanner,
VLR-Com/Scrambler, LR-Lasercom/Scrambler, 1x Duplicate Computerized Controls

Engineering Bridge, TL 10: 0.72 tons, 2.5 dt, 0.3 MCr
10x Roomy Crewstation with Bridge Access, G-Seat, Crashweb, Terminal, HUD/Pupilscanner,
VLR-Com/Scrambler, LR-Lasercom/Scrambler, 1x Hardened Mainframe (Complexity 7)

Gunnery Bridge, TL 10: 0.9 tons, 2.5 dt, 0.75 MCr
10x Roomy Crewstation with Bridge Access, G-Seat, Crashweb, Terminal, HUD/Pupilscanner,
VLR-Com/Scrambler, LR-Lasercom/Scrambler,
10x Hardened Genius Dedicated Microframe (Complexity 7), 10x Targeting+8
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
hal

Thanks Pomphis. I'll have to take a hard look at the systems and possibly enter it into my GMV Repository file. :)

I probably should open up a new thread on the next topic involving Translating HIGH GUARD to GURPS TRAVELLER...
Old 09-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Pomphis

If you want more stuff, just say so. I made more.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
If you want more stuff, just say so. I made more.
When you made the "stuff", by chance, did you include the Vehicles 2e that went into it? *hopeful look*
Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Pomphis

If you mean weight, volume, power and cost for the components, I am afraid I didnīt keep the paperwork. They were all done with pen and paper and I only typed down the results.