Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Cowrie

Default Periodic recharge, new limitation, or something else?

I'm designing a power, and as part of it's modifier, I want all of it's abilities to require daily recharging via 1 hour of meditation. The closest limitation I can think of for this is Periodic Recharge, up to 24 hours, -5%, from Power-Ups: Limitations. However, there are some potential problems with that. For one, the text of that limitation specifies that recharging takes about a minute. For another, it states that access to the source of the power has to be "a major difficulty", and while finding a place to meditate may not always be especially convenient, I don't think it qualifies as a major difficulty. Do you think upping the recharge time to an hour and making access to the "source" easier balance out so it should still add -5% to the modifier, or does it need a new cost? If there's something that might be a better fit than Periodic Recharge, that would also be a welcome suggestion.

Finally, just to be clear, a single hour of meditation recharges all of the abilities granted by the power, rather than requiring another hour for each ability beyond the first.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Periodic recharge, new limitation, or something else?

Thelast bit is the kicker. Each power with the limitation takes the time, so it stacks. Since you want an hour and probably have less than 60 separate powers that should be ok though.
It might be better to use Pact or Discipline of Faith if you can work out something.
I would trat Gren Lanterns as as a Pact that included "Every 24 hours must recite the Oath on the Lantern" along with Sense of Duty to the Corps or something.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Nemoricus

A close parallel to this is the Chi power modifier from Dungeon Fantasy 1, which is a -10% limitation with Discipline of Faith (Chi Rituals) as a required disadvantage. This doubles the character's expenses for rations and requires that they take 1d hours per day to meditate. If they don't, the next time they use their abilities, they burn out for 1d days.

Since your powers only need 1 hour per day to stay functional, it's significantly less limiting. At most, a -5% limitation and the required disadvantage Disciplines of Faith (Meditation) [-5]. Adjust the name to taste.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
starslayer

Isn't this limited ammo fast reload with takes extra time?
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
Anaraxes

There's no limit on the number of uses in that 24-hour period, so Limited Ammo isn't an exact fit. Pact or Required Disad seems the closest fit.

You might also stretch Trigger to fit. Meditation is "very common; available almost anywhere", which makes it -10%. Except that this lasts for 24 hours. PU8 takes Trigger up to 8 hours of activation time per "dose", at 1/8th the normal limitation value, or a mere -1.25%, in this case. On the other hand, Trigger doesn't cover increased values from Triggers that take a long time to "consume" compared to just swigging your Potion of Mr. Hydeification. That might push it back up to the same -10% level for Required Disad (Disciplines of Faith) or Pact.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
A close parallel to this is the Chi power modifier from Dungeon Fantasy 1, which is a -10% limitation with Discipline of Faith (Chi Rituals) as a required disadvantage. This doubles the character's expenses for rations and requires that they take 1d hours per day to meditate. If they don't, the next time they use their abilities, they burn out for 1d days.
Very roughly, Discipline of Faith could be seen as something like Increased Consumption 1 (Cost Only -50%) [-5] and Extra Sleep 3.5* [-7], rounded down to [-10] due to the "sleep" not necessarily leaving the character quite as vulnerable when in the form of meditation. With that in mind, the 1 hour meditation is worth less than -2%. I'd personally be willing to give the character the benefit of a -5% Limitation, however.

*When turning a set value into nd+m - or changing [i]n/i]d+m into a set value - you use averages, such that every 3.5 is equal to 1d. So, to get 1d hours of extra sleep, you'd take 3.5 levels of Extra Sleep.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Emerald Cat

I'd look at the Requires Ritual limitation from Power-Ups: Limitations (p. 5). If you don't conduct a "ritual" once per day or session, your abilities shut down. Your meditation requirement sounds like it has the difficulty of the simple ritual while requiring the time commitment of a complex ritual. I'd split the difference and call it a typical ritual, for -10%.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
Cowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
I'd look at the Requires Ritual limitation from Power-Ups: Limitations (p. 5). If you don't conduct a "ritual" once per day or session, your abilities shut down. Your meditation requirement sounds like it has the difficulty of the simple ritual while requiring the time commitment of a complex ritual. I'd split the difference and call it a typical ritual, for -10%.
I like this solution. However, I'm not sure if this would be another case where, as Refplace said, each ability with the modifier stacks for time.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote