Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Bira

Default Octopus Carnival - GURPS Content Posts

I've recently started an English-language RPG blog named Octopus Carnival, which is going to be mostly focused on GURPS. Since I noticed several other threads where people link to the GURPS posts in their blog, I thought I would start my own here.

So here are the links for the first few posts!

Most of them concern a longer-term project to adapt Dragon's Dogma as a GURPS setting:

Adapting Videogames talks about my approach to doing that.

Dragon's Dogma: High Concept looks at the game's themes and overall mechanics and discusses the best approach to turn that into a GURPS setting.

Dragon's Dogma: Adventuring in Gransys looks at possible campaign types.

I also decided to do something a little different over the weekend: Pathfinder Iconics in Dungeon Fantasy: Amiri takes the iconic Barbarian character from Paizo's Pathfinder and stats her up as a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy character. I'll do the others in the future!
Bira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #2
The_Ryujin

Default Re: Octopus Carnival - GURPS Content Posts

Welcome to the super secret brotherhood of GURPS Bloggers who Blog To Much!!

Decoder ring and secret plans for world domination are in the mail.

Your first order of buiness is to click the below link, follow it's institutions and get yourself set up with Doug's GURPSday announcement thread.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=141175

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Joe

Great to see another GURPS-related blog starting up (partly because it provides me with more evidence to support my theory that we're living through the first years of a GURPS Renaissance!)

You say in your first post that you were inspired by Mailanka's "Psi Wars" series. It somehow makes me very happy to see this. That's a great series, and it's pleasing to see other people taking note of it and being inspired to do their own thing.

May Octopus Carnival have a bright future!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Pseudonym

Welcome to the machine, my son, I've added your blog to the feed reader on my blog. Looking forward to see what you post in the future.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Your first order of buiness is to click the below link, follow it's institutions and get yourself set up with Doug's GURPSday announcement thread.
He's already contacted me. I am somewhat behind on getting him into the system, so to speak, but will be working that this week. I will ensure to run all of his posts the first time they appear so none get missed.

My script currently has an issue with Atom feeds, and only runs RSS. I have a sample fix from the last blog I added that uses an Atom feed, but it needs a few new PERL libraries and I haven't set them up yet (and I'm nervous about doing so and breaking what I have that works already - I'm not a coder/programmer, I have a lot on my plate, and if my PERL breaks and I can't easily run GURPSDay, I've killed a very easy system in favor of nothing)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
He's already contacted me. I am somewhat behind on getting him into the system, so to speak, but will be working that this week. I will ensure to run all of his posts the first time they appear so none get missed.

My script currently has an issue with Atom feeds, and only runs RSS. I have a sample fix from the last blog I added that uses an Atom feed, but it needs a few new PERL libraries and I haven't set them up yet (and I'm nervous about doing so and breaking what I have that works already - I'm not a coder/programmer, I have a lot on my plate, and if my PERL breaks and I can't easily run GURPSDay, I've killed a very easy system in favor of nothing)
Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, I feel ya on the coding stuff... the baby steps delving into that I've done only reinforces my bias that computers are basically magic and coders are wizards.

And the fact that you even have time to post on the forum at all right now also boggles my mind. I had a friend who wanted to set up a game publishing company a little over a decade ago and even on the small scale we were looking at was terrifying in its complexity. Also.... while you're here... any chance of some Powered by GURPS goodness from Gaming Ballistic Ltd. in the future? And by that, I mean more would it even be a possibility rather then is it something on your "to do list" right now since you already got more then enough on your plate just getting your flagship game off the ground.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
Bira

Thank you for the warm welcome!

DouglasCole, if it helps I can try to convert the feed to RSS.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bira View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome!

DouglasCole, if it helps I can try to convert the feed to RSS.
If you can do RSS (and frequently that's just an URL change, but if you can't, I know someone that JUST did it and I can put y'all in touch) that makes my life much, much easier from a "get Bira on the GURPSDay roster" perspective.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Bira

OK! I'm using Jekyll, so I'm sure there's a RSS feed template for it somewhere. I'll let you know when I'm done!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #10
Bira

From what I see here, it seems that the template I'm using for the feed produces RSS 2.0, with one atom tag mixed in and a reference to the Atom namespace inside the <rss> tag. It's actually similar to the Gaming Ballistic feed in that regard.

If it's giving the GURPS Day parser script trouble, I can make any changes it requires, since that feed is supposed to be especially made for it :).

Tags
blog, blogs