Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
Langy

Default Ranged Permeation w/ Meld

I've been tinkering with a character idea (inspired by playing Watch_Dogs). Basically, a character who can possess and/or permeate through computer networks if he can see them (and who can look out through networked cameras, etc). I want him to be able to permeate with a network from range if he can see it and he should be able to rematerialize anywhere that that network can see through its connected cameras (or, if none, he can pop out next to a terminal like normal for Permeate with Meld 2). The possession aspect (being able to actually control the computer) is covered under plain-old Possession (Digital), and the popping out of the computer and being 'one with the network' is covered under Permeation with Meld 2 - what I'm wondering on is how to make it so he can permeate with the network while at range.

Is it as simple as slapping 'Ranged' on Permeation along with Sense-Based (Sight)? Or should I come up with a complicated Warp build to model it?
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Ranged Permeation w/ Meld

Isn't that some form of Jumper (Digital Reality) with Special Portal?
Old 06-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Langy

Default Re: Ranged Permeation w/ Meld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Isn't that some form of Jumper (Digital Reality) with Special Portal?
No - Permeation with meld coupled with Possession work better, as they've got distinct gameplay effects. The way I decided to model it is:

Permeation (Computer Network, Very Common; Sense-Based, Sight, -20%; Can Carry Object, Light, +20%; Meld 2, Limited Senses, +240%; Power, -10%) [132]

Possession (Alternative Ability; Cybernetic Only, -50%; Full Memory Access, +10%; Power, -10%) [10]

Regular Regeneration (Environmental, Computer Networks, -20%; Power, -10%) [18]

Warp (Reliable 10, +50%; Extra Carry Capacity, Light, +10%; Range Limit, 100 yards, -40%; Power, -10%; Special Portal, Computer Network, -20%; Sense-Based, Sight, -20%) [70]

Network Talent 4 [20]

For a total of 250 points, which fits nicely - I was thinking that adding this to an Action template would work out well for a 500 point Supers game. Something like the Weapon Master, to make a super that can do information gathering/infiltration nicely as well as not be completely useless in combat.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote