Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Dealing with Primordials [Infinite Worlds]

So, I am curious, what does Infinity do when they encounter Primordials? In this instance, we are talking about entities that are capable of creating entire galaxies without major effort. Is it even capable of detecting such entities or does it just blithely assume that such entities will not notice its activities? Or does it just erase the coordinates and pray that the entity does not get curious enough to come visiting?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Dealing with Primordials [Infinite Worlds]

It's really a non-issue that isn't addressed in the setting. The inclusion of beings like that would be completely up to the GM, who would decide on Infinity's response.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:59 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, I am curious, what does Infinity do when they encounter Primordials? In this instance, we are talking about entities that are capable of creating entire galaxies without major effort.
Are we? Where in Infinite Worlds are these beings?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:28 AM   #4
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, I am curious, what does Infinity do when they encounter Primordials? In this instance, we are talking about entities that are capable of creating entire galaxies without major effort. Is it even capable of detecting such entities or does it just blithely assume that such entities will not notice its activities? Or does it just erase the coordinates and pray that the entity does not get curious enough to come visiting?
Beings like that do whatever they want to. I assume Infinity would mark that timeline as "There be Monsters!" and never go there, hoping that these entities won't just decide to visit Infinity anyway.

And hoping that nobody else finds out about them.

There are some power-levels beyond which even Infinity can't deal.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Infinity isn't dumb like most fictional super organizations. They'd avoid those time lines like Umbrella corp. should've avoided zombies, Weyland-Yutani corp. the aliens, SCP foundation EVERYTHING, etc.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Beings like that do whatever they want to. I assume Infinity would mark that timeline as "There be Monsters!" and never go there, hoping that these entities won't just decide to visit Infinity anyway.

And hoping that nobody else finds out about them.

There are some power-levels beyond which even Infinity can't deal.
A lot actually. Superheroes are usually enough to scare them away.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A lot actually. Superheroes are usually enough to scare them away.
Yes, but it's usually possible to just kill supers if necessary. The described Primordials not so much.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Yes, but it's usually possible to just kill supers if necessary. The described Primordials not so much.
That assumes both the ability and opportunity to do so. A world with supers tends to have telepaths, and the threat to The Secret is usually enough for Infinity to steer clear of Supers worlds.

Which is ironic, as most super worlds know dimensional travel is possible, and usually have people who can do it. And they can do it better than Infinity.

But, Infinity isn't really know for dealing with the multiverse well, considering that they believe they, alone, own all transdimensional technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Worlds, pg 8
Technically, all parachronic equipment in existence is the property of Infinity Unlimited, and the Infinity Patrol has the right (and duty) to supervise its use.
This does not go over well with other people who develop dimensional technology.

I'm sure Infinity is looking forward to a war against Paragon City's Portal Corp.

Well, it's not really an issue, after all, Infinity is just a Nemesis Plot.

But, as for Primordals (also, a Nemesis Plot--everything is a Nemesis Plot, even when it isn't), as I said before, their existence or non-existence is not incumbent in the setting, it's entirely up to the GM.

Additionally, with the incredible inability of Infinity to look past Earth, they, likely, would never detect, notice or even realize such a being existed. After all, Star Trek didn't know the Q-Continuum even existed until one of their number made themselves known, and Star Fleet is (usually) much better at finding things than Infinity is.

And, if you're considering involving beings like them in your games, ponder the "it's awfully nice these God-like beings let us play with our starships" problem Star Trek has.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
[That assumes both the ability and opportunity to do so. A world with supers tends to have telepaths, and the threat to The Secret is usually enough for Infinity to steer clear of Supers worlds.

Which is ironic, as most super worlds know dimensional travel is possible, and usually have people who can do it. And they can do it better than Infinity.
Well no. They can't. They have individual world jumpers but they don't have the mass produced world-shifting technology that Homeline or Centrum has and Homeline really doesn't want them reverse engineering it.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Well no. They can't. They have individual world jumpers but they don't have the mass produced world-shifting technology that Homeline or Centrum has and Homeline really doesn't want them reverse engineering it.
Well yes, they absolutely can. You're assuming that Homeline/Centrum are the only agencies in the multiverse. They're not. The fact that Homeline and Centrum even developed parachronics is just a Nemesis Plot. The above-mentioned Portal Corp. has the knowledge of dimensional geography to assist heroes in waging a war against the Council and Fifth Column in multiple dimensions, simultaneously. And they have the hardware to back it up. Not small skirmishes, massive city-blasting battles. Sure, with Super Heroes, it doesn't take as many to rattle a city--but we've brought them. I mean, when we went for the final battle against Mot . . . we brought everyone.

Their portals are stationary, housed within massive bunkers on Peregrine Island. But, they don't have to move, they can put their targets anywhere within the selected dimension the operators choose. Oh, did I mention they can also see into those dimensions, without going there first? Might be important to mention.

Sure, Portal Corp. has been trying to keep a handle on the tech, but, the Villains in the Rogue Isles have their own copies of the world-spanning tech.

Oh, and I forgot to bring up that the Heroes and Villains of Primal Earth (the name for their world) fought a war against parachronic invaders. And won. The Rikti War. And they got upgraded versions of that nice, juicy parachronic tech from the invaders (they had already developed their own, starting in about 1986). And the Rikti were a significantly higher TL, probably around TL11, due to force field technology. (And let's not get into the Devouring Earth. Dimension-spanning organisms are terrifying.)

So, yeah, Homeline/Infinity and Centrum ain't got nuthin' on Portal Corp.

Portal Corporation is exactly the sort of group that Infinity has nightmares about. Superior in every way and with Super Heroes protecting them and backing them up.

Heck, our Super Group base has mini portals that let us get to Echoes of past locations. And a vast majority of the heroes can summon a portal to Ouroboros where they can access time-travel magic. Those that can't just haven't been taken there yet. It will happen, because it already has.

But, much like the Primordals, other realities exist at the whim of the GM. And, this and previous discussions with you about Homeline/Infinity indicate that you are enamored of them. Your interpretation of the Infinite Worlds book tells you they're the good guys. Mine tells me they're the bad guys. And the best part of this: We're both right.