Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default GURPS Dark Universe

The Dark Universe is Universal's (failed) attempt to create their own cinematic universe around the classic horror movies. Since it is unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon, how would you use a Dark Universe setting in your games? Are there any indie properties that you would want to mix in with the Dark Universe?

For example, I would love to integrate the work of the original Mythos Circle in with the Dark Universe, perhaps adding in the Tick for a little bit of humor. The classic movie monsters bridges the tone of the original Mythos Circle and the Tick, allowing for a wide range of games within the same setting. Also, I would like to see the Tick punch out Cthulu.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Astromancer

Default Re: GURPS Dark Universe

There was an episode of the Tick where an Eldritch Horror rented an apartment in the same building as the Tick and Arthur. Everybody including the Eldritch Horror thought the Eldritch Horror's roommate was creepy. But the Eldritch Horror pointed out that the roommate was quite and paid his rent on time.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
Kale

I actually quite enjoyed the original Mummy movies. They were campy as all get-out but just worked somehow.

"Hey, O'Connell, looks like I've got all the horses!"
"Hey Benny, looks like you're on the wrong side of the river!"
Old 03-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #4
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
I actually quite enjoyed the original Mummy movies. They were campy as all get-out but just worked somehow.

"Hey, O'Connell, looks like I've got all the horses!"
"Hey Benny, looks like you're on the wrong side of the river!"
Those weren't the original Mummy movies...
Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

The original Mummy movies were actually not that bad.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
pestigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Those weren't the original Mummy movies...
I was trying to remember if Boris Karloff was ever campy in The Mummy and then remembered there were other mummy movies I've never seen :)
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
aesir23

I think I'd set it in the 30s and 40s like the original films, and would make it very much a Pulp Monster Hunters type campaign. I'd also ground the literary monsters in their respective time periods. So Frankenstein's monster has been running around since 1818, Dr. Jeckyll transformed into Mr. Hyde in 1887, and Dracula came to London in 1897, the exact same year a man named Griffin learned to turn into the Invisible Man.

So, in Campaign Year 1941, America is about to enter the war in Europe, Lawrence Talbot has become a Wolf-Man, and the PCs are very much concerned about what the Nazis might do if they got ahold of Jeckyll and Griffen's respective research. Worse yet, Romania seems about to end their neutrality and join the Axis...and there are things in the Carpathians whose power could turn the tide of the whole war.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I think I'd set it in the 30s and 40s like the original films, and would make it very much a Pulp Monster Hunters type campaign. I'd also ground the literary monsters in their respective time periods. So Frankenstein's monster has been running around since 1818, Dr. Jeckyll transformed into Mr. Hyde in 1887, and Dracula came to London in 1897, the exact same year a man named Griffin learned to turn into the Invisible Man.

So, in Campaign Year 1941, America is about to enter the war in Europe, Lawrence Talbot has become a Wolf-Man, and the PCs are very much concerned about what the Nazis might do if they got ahold of Jeckyll and Griffen's respective research. Worse yet, Romania seems about to end their neutrality and join the Axis...and there are things in the Carpathians whose power could turn the tide of the whole war.
So then, Imhotep woke up in 1932, and Kharis in 1940, but perhaps before that, in 1911, another mummy was brought back to life by electricity?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 AM   #9
dcarson

With 50 some years Dr. Jeckyll (Hyde mostly) could have a number of descendants that under the right stress could get dangerous. Some of them might have even figured out how to do this on demand.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:28 AM   #10
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
So then, Imhotep woke up in 1932, and Kharis in 1940, but perhaps before that, in 1911, another mummy was brought back to life by electricity?
Absolutely. I'm essentially going for a 20th century League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vibe.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote