Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 AM   #21
Hide

Default Re: ORICHALCUM UNIVERSE Sidebar: Multisapients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
It depends (...) Imagine someone bending your knees 90 degrees forward instead of back. They're not made for that. Same deal with our minds.
Very nice! I got it! Thank you.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #22
warellis

I forget but when and where do Terrans encounter Multisapients for the first time?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #23
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
I forget but when and where do Terrans encounter Multisapients for the first time?
IIRC, they both inhabited "earth" in the beginning of their times, but the Eldren moved the most of said multisapients to other (very far away) worlds.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #24
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
IIRC, they both inhabited "earth" in the beginning of their times, but the Eldren moved the most of said multisapients to other (very far away) worlds.
Well yeah. But I meant in the spaceflight era, when Terrans are travelling to other stars. Like 2250 AD was the latest date I've read IIRC.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #25
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Well yeah. But I meant in the spaceflight era, when Terrans are travelling to other stars. Like 2250 AD was the latest date I've read IIRC.
I haven't told that part of the story yet. :grin:
Old 10-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #26
warellis

Quote:
I haven't told that part of the story yet. :grin:
Regarding dimensionator drives, I've been rereading up on the Eosian Hegemony, and it makes me wonder:

was there anything akin to small free traders? Or is orichalcum too expensive for such things that generally you have to rely on those massive star barges that can transport ships to get around?
Old 10-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #27
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Regarding dimensionator drives, I've been rereading up on the Eosian Hegemony, and it makes me wonder:

was there anything akin to small free traders? Or is orichalcum too expensive for such things that generally you have to rely on those massive star barges that can transport ships to get around?
Well, it was somewhere in between. Orichalcum was not quite as expensive in the glory days of the Hegemony as it will be in the ~2100 period of Earth. So there were more 'private' starships than in 2100 Earth. (Private meaning with their own FTL drive, as opposed to riding a star carrier.) But yeah, most traffic still used their version of star carriers and for the same reason.

So no, there weren't many 'free traders' as such, or at least, not as SF sometimes envisions them. But there was trade going on in the hands of small traders travelling on the carriers, too. Sometime I'll have to delve into how that works more extensively.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:39 AM   #28
warellis

Quote:
Well, it was somewhere in between. Orichalcum was not quite as expensive in the glory days of the Hegemony as it will be in the ~2100 period of Earth. So there were more 'private' starships than in 2100 Earth. (Private meaning with their own FTL drive, as opposed to riding a star carrier.) But yeah, most traffic still used their version of star carriers and for the same reason.

So no, there weren't many 'free traders' as such, or at least, not as SF sometimes envisions them. But there was trade going on in the hands of small traders travelling on the carriers, too. Sometime I'll have to delve into how that works more extensively.
Yeah you should. Because it makes me wonder if some of the star carriers are run by smaller companies that operate more out in the fringes or frontiers of known space than the big megacorporation bulk star carriers that regularly run well travelled routes.

Also the star carrier stuff reminds me of the heighliners of Dune, with both universes having some sort of hard barrier or difficulty for private starships. :D
Old 10-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #29
Rupert

They remind me of the setting Richard S McEnroe used for his "Far Stars and Future Times" novels, especially in Skinner, though most of the trade there seemed to be moved between systems by the carrier directly and moved inside the system by local shipping.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:30 AM   #30
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
They remind me of the setting Richard S McEnroe used for his "Far Stars and Future Times" novels, especially in Skinner, though most of the trade there seemed to be moved between systems by the carrier directly and moved inside the system by local shipping.
It also reminds me of Traveller in a way. Except imagine the free trader hitching a ride on another ship to transport them to a new world of adventure.

In fact dimensionator drives would probably count as warp drives under the Cepheus Engine ruleset?