Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Icelander

Default [Adventure Guns] The gun cabinet of a Victorian explorer, hunter, Col. (Ret.)

In a game of Victorian Monster-Hunteresqueness set in London in 1888, one of the PCs is a Wealthy gentleman big game hunter, exlorer and Colonel (Ret.) of an Indian regiment in Her Majesty service.

Since the PCs started the first game session at a funeral, it was not necessary to nail down exactly what equipment suitable for adventure the character had. It was sufficient to note that he possessed all of his Starting Wealth* for Wealthy in adventuring gear and, most particularly, in the kind of guns a gentelman explorer and big game hunter might own in 1888 London.

Now, I ask the forumites kindly, what guns might those be? I'm just starting to go through Adventure Guns, but so far, I don't see a cornucopia of options beyond those of High-Tech for an African big game hunter (as opposed to a Great Plains buffalo hunter).

What are absolute iconic weapons he must own?

What are good buys?

What are the less 'sexy' and adventure-handy weapons that he'd need for sporting purposes?

Some considerations about the Colonel's budget and what roles he'll need covered.

A short timeline of the Colone's early history, in order to note when he'd have acquired various guns.

A new, more detailed idea for his budget and what guns he will buy. Requires only some small refinements to be presentable as the final equipment list for the PC.

*While of gentle birth and decent education, his present respectability was earned through military service and prestige as a member of the Royal Society. He was born a bastard and only by the kind auspices of his father enabled to attend the right schools. His income was entirely due to his fund-raising for scientific exploration in Africa and his not inconsiderable fame as an author. As such, he had no fixed abode, but lived with friends or in hotels while not on the trail.

Last edited by Icelander; 12-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Adventure Guns] The gun cabinet of a Victorian explorer, hunter, Col. (Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Now, I ask the forumites kindly, what guns might those be? I'm just starting to go through Adventure Guns, but so far, I don't see a cornucopia of options beyond those of High-Tech for an African big game hunter (as opposed to a Great Plains buffalo hunter).
The shortage in Adventure Guns is for a reason. The smokeless powder revolution hadn't really got going in 1888. Looking through Cartridges of the World, which I bought because it was recommended in a GURPS bibliography, the vast range of nitro-express cartridges and the guns to fire them started to appear about 1895 and continued apace until 1914.

In 1888, powerful British sporting rifle cartridges are all black powder, and there are not many of them. The 360 Express, 450/400 Black Powder Express, 500/450 family (which are roughly equivalent to the US 45-70), 450 Black Powder Express, 500/540 Magnum Express, 500 Express and 577 BP Express are the main ones in the list that were available at your date. I'll have a hunt through Rifles of the World at some point for some names, but damage will be similar to the military calibres in High-Tech.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
mr beer

Default Re: [Adventure Guns] The gun cabinet of a Victorian explorer, hunter, Col. (Ret.)

Aside from the big game rifles, I imagine he'd have:

A shotgun for bringing down birds on the wing...a high quality shotgun (or several) is extremely appropriate for male Victorian aristocrats, they used to shoot grouse and pheasant virtually by the ton.

A revolver, because it's easy to carry around and one can conceal it when one is trailing through the souk and other insalubrious urban environs, don't you know old boy?

A non-elephant gun type rifle, lighter, more convenient to carry and suitable for game such as antelope. We don't shoot rabbit and duiker with the kind of ordinance required to bring down a Cape buffalo, after all. Given his background, a military rifle might be appropriate here.

EDIT

More for flavour perhaps, but I believe high quality duelling pistols might still be available in this era? If not, he might have an antique set as a personal curio or minor inheritance.

Last edited by mr beer; 12-10-2014 at 02:12 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Agemegos

Definitely ought to have a pair of Purdeys, and probably a lighter shotgun for doves. Double rifle from Hollard & Holland for dangerous game. Probably a Martini-Henry service rifle and Webley Mk. I revolver. I would expect a Winchester. Maybe a French Lebel '86, firing one of those newfangled small-bore smokeless-powder cartridges, for long shots in open country. '88 is the year of introduction for the Lee-Metford (which is British) and of the German G88 (which is good), so it's probably a bit early for them. And something a bit lighter for antelope.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
mlangsdorf

Adding to mr beer's comments, I'd expect him to have multiple break action shotguns for bird hunting. My family does bird hunting and it's normal to have 9 guns for 4 shooters. If we were richer, there would be even more guns.

In addition to a revolver, a collection of Deringers would be reasonable.

It's just a little too early for drillings, unfortunately.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
More for flavour perhaps, but I believe high quality duelling pistols might still be available in this era? If not, he might have an antique set as a personal curio or minor inheritance.
By the Victorian era, duelling was pretty much dead, being socially unacceptable as well as illegal (having previously been merely illegal) - the last duel between Englishmen in England was fought in '45 (according to Wikipedia) - but it's possible that an especially crusty old goat (of any age) might still romanticise the business, and having a set of Wogdon's or similar beasts would be entirely sensible. The gunroom of a stately home might well have several pairs for historical reasons (although possibly not all Wogdon guns), probably consigned to use as target shooting pistols.

Speaking of pistols, howdah pistols might well be a thing for old Injah hands - a horse pistol might be considered a little unrefined, but was pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
It's just a little too early for drillings, unfortunately.
Thought drillings went back into the muzzle loading era - and weren't there Cape Guns in circulation by this point.

Consider also punt guns, and possibly some trophy pieces brought back from campaign - especially if he's served somewhere interesting like Burma or China.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Agemegos

Quote:
Adding to mr beer's comments, I'd expect him to have multiple break action shotguns for bird hunting. My family does bird hunting and it's normal to have 9 guns for 4 shooters. If we were richer, there would be even more guns.
The character in question is probably so rich that he employs (from time to time) a loader. Certainly the people with whom he shoots customarily do so. It was (probably still is) customary to buy pheasant guns in custom-made pairs.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Agemegos

He might have a Holland & Holland paradox gun.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Toptomcat

Quote:
My family does bird hunting and it's normal to have 9 guns for 4 shooters.
Interesting. Why? Faster to drop a fired gun and pick up a loaded one than to reload a break action?
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I don't see a cornucopia of options beyond those of High-Tech for an African big game hunter (as opposed to a Great Plains buffalo hunter).
King Solomon's Mines was set in about 1883–84, and while Haggard was not a notable hunter he had lived in South Africa (as a colonial official) for six years. The armoury that Quartermain took with him on an expedition into the interior is listed thus:
… As to the arms I cannot do better than put down a list of those which we finally decided on from among the ample store that Sir Henry had brought with him from England, and those which I owned. I copy it from my pocket-book, where I made the entry at the time.

"Three heavy breech-loading double-eight elephant guns, weighing about fifteen pounds each, to carry a charge of eleven drachms of black powder." Two of these were by a well-known London firm, most excellent makers, but I do not know by whom mine, which is not so highly finished, was made. I have used it on several trips, and shot a good many elephants with it, and it has always proved a most superior weapon, thoroughly to be relied on.

"Three double-500 Expresses, constructed to stand a charge of six drachms," sweet weapons, and admirable for medium-sized game, such as eland or sable antelope, or for men, especially in an open country and with the semi-hollow bullet.

"One double No. 12 central-fire Keeper's shot-gun, full choke both barrels." This gun proved of the greatest service to us afterwards in shooting game for the pot.

"Three Winchester repeating rifles (not carbines), spare guns.

"Three single-action Colt's revolvers, with the heavier, or American pattern of cartridge."
Note that, apart from native servants, there were three members of the expedition: Quartermain, Sir Henry Curtis, and Captain Good. So that is one double-barrelled eight-gauge elephant gun, one double-barrelled .500-calibre express rifle, a Winchester repeating rifle, and a Colt revolver for each explorer, plus a single double-barrelled 12-gauge for practical purposes.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 12-10-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: link to text of "King Solomon's Mines".

Tags
high-tech, victorian, weapons