Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Dodge Critical Success vs. Ranged Attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Then there's that game where Jedi can Parry Missile Weapons and deflect blaster bolts back into the shooter. Rule Zero always applies.
I feel like this is a result of two things;

A) Blaster Bolts can reflect off of light sabers (and presumably related things)
B) I'm fairly certain Jedi have Danger Sense, possibly ETS, and presumably high skill in being a jedi, plus some amount of force powers.

It actually makes perfect sense that Critical Success on parries could do this, especially since you could likely do it as a modified Aggressive Parry anyway.

As for Rule Zero, you could likely do it with more mundane things too. I can absolutely see someone like Zorro or Raphael parrying a thrown axe, twirling it around his sword, then using it's momentum to send it back at the attacker.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Then there's that game where Jedi can Parry Missile Weapons and deflect blaster bolts back into the shooter. Rule Zero always applies.
I deal with that as a Technique... but I suppose a crit on a Parry Missile Weapon would also work.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:14 AM   #13
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I feel like this is a result of two things;

A) Blaster Bolts can reflect off of light sabers (and presumably related things)
B) I'm fairly certain Jedi have Danger Sense, possibly ETS, and presumably high skill in being a jedi, plus some amount of force powers.

It actually makes perfect sense that Critical Success on parries could do this, especially since you could likely do it as a modified Aggressive Parry anyway.

As for Rule Zero, you could likely do it with more mundane things too. I can absolutely see someone like Zorro or Raphael parrying a thrown axe, twirling it around his sword, then using it's momentum to send it back at the attacker.
I think to do anything like this you'd have to buy it as DR w/ Reflection
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #14
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
For my Star Wars game, I built it as a special Parry technique (requires a lightsaber and a user who makes Precognitive Parry).

Something like this:

New Technique: Reflect Beam
Hard
Default: Force Sword parry -6
Prerequisites: Force Sword, Precognitive Parry, Force Talent 3; cannot exceed Force Sword parry.
Use Reflect Beam to parry an attack from a beam weapon. If you succeed, you redirect the beam to a target of your choosing, using your Force Sword skill to hit as if you had fired the beam from your Lightsaber.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #15
kirbwarrior

Quote:
In most situations, I could see that, but I think blasters specifically in Star Wars have 'can be reflected' (either that or it's all 'lasers' because for some reason light sabers can parry each other and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense).
Old 04-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
Plane

Quote:
In most situations, I could see that, but I think blasters specifically in Star Wars have 'can be reflected' (either that or it's all 'lasers' because for some reason light sabers can parry each other and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense).
I think lightsabers parrying each other is actually the magnetic fields holding the plasma repelling each other somehow?

I can't recall seeing blaster blasts in SW being reflected by anything other than lightsabers so it doesn't seem like a universal property.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #17
kirbwarrior

Quote:
I think lightsabers parrying each other is actually the magnetic fields holding the plasma repelling each other somehow?

I can't recall seeing blaster blasts in SW being reflected by anything other than lightsabers so it doesn't seem like a universal property.
I guess the big question thus is; Can I shoot blaster blasts with my blaster as a parry in SW?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #18
Prince Charon

Quote:
I guess the big question thus is; Can I shoot blaster blasts with my blaster as a parry in SW?
You can if you're a Teepo Paladin or a Gray Paladin (or some similar Force-using faction).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #19
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
You can if you're a Teepo Paladin or a Gray Paladin (or some similar Force-using faction).
Well, then I might build this as a variant of Aggressive Parry then that only works with lasers, even outside of SW.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:38 PM   #20
mburr0003

Quote:
Well, then I might build this as a variant of Aggressive Parry then that only works with lasers, even outside of SW.
My method is requiring Enhanced Time Sense and Parry Missile Weapons.

I had a Black Ops Security agent that 'parried' bullets out of the air using thrown weapons (knives, plates, etc) in one game. Unreliable as all get out, but fun (the skill was reliable, but the GM basically only allowed it to add DR. So parrying a thrown weapon or arrow was pretty doable, bullets less so).

My way is to just let it work, but then I run a more high-cinematic high-action game than he did.

Tags
critical success defense