Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #601
ajardoor

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Critique this ritual, I don't think I got it right;

Ritual: Selfhood Passenger/Mind Copy/Tele-Prisoner

Spell Effects: Greater Create Mind + Lesser Sense Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

This ritual creates a "mental map copy" of the subject and binds it as a separate magical construct to your mind for telepathic communication. The construct will see and hear everything you see and hear. The construct has all the memories, (mental) advantages, skills, (mental) disadvantages and (mental) attributes of the subject (it may not cast spells, however). Nobody who is not reading your mind will realise you are communicating with the mental construct, and if you cast this ritual on multiple subjects, the resulting constructs may communicate with each other.

This ritual may be used to receive advice and information from an ally, or as an unorthodox and covert way to interrogate an enemy. Once the duration expires, the mental construct is undone. Transferring the construct from your mind to another requires another (different) ritual.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Mind (6) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Duration, 3 days (8). 48 energy (16x3).
Old 03-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #602
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Critique this ritual, I don't think I got it right;

Ritual: Selfhood Passenger/Mind Copy/Tele-Prisoner

Spell Effects: Greater Create Mind + Lesser Sense Mind.
I would rule that reading all the content of a person's mind to create a copy involves a Greater Sense Mind, not a lesser.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #603
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
I would rule that reading all the content of a person's mind to create a copy involves a Greater Sense Mind, not a lesser.
Lesser Sense is for the telepathy.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #604
AlexanderHowl

Snuggle Bunnies: The caster transforms the target into an equal mass of rabbits (Greater Transform Body and Greater Transform Mind)
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #605
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Lesser Sense is for the telepathy.
You mean the ongoing telepathy with the mind construct? Good point. In that case, add a Greater Sense Mind to create the copy.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #606
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Snuggle Bunnies: The caster transforms the target into an equal mass of rabbits (Greater Transform Body and Greater Transform Mind)
You'd also need to bestow Diffuse with Swarm.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #607
AlexanderHowl

No, not really. If the bunnies are not under the control of a central intelligence, there is no reason for Diffuse with Swarm. Greater Transform Body just makes the primary bunny while Greater Transform Mind changes a human mind into a bunny mind. The rest of the bunnies are simply a special effect, they fade away at the end of the duration of the ritual.

Now, if the transformed individual had control over all of the bunnies, I agree that it would be appropriate, but that is not the case here. The idea is to transform the target into a defenseless woodland creature without violating the conservation of mass. Of course, having an enemy wake up a week later, with the memory of their bunny experience to traumatize them, is quite satisfying.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #608
Humabout

Then you still need Altered Traits for a bunny template. You also need an additional Create Body and Create Mind for the other bunnies, since you just made something from nothing. RPM maybe a freeform magic system, but "freeform" foesn't mean "free of costs".

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #609
MagnusTheRed

Behold. after much autistic number crunching involving the weight of a square yard of granite or top soil, my friends and I have produced this!

Quote:
Create Floating Island
Greater Control Matter (+5) + Area of Effect (1000 Yards)+32 + Subject Weight (19371024450 Tons)+26 + Conditional Termination (Until the Core is destroyed) +16, Speed 3 (7 Yards Per Second) +3 * 3 For Greater Effect
= 246 Energy
This spell takes all land in a half a mile wide sphere, and causes it to float and move in the air. The magic is bound to a (typically) sturdy Core, which also serves as the controls for the island. Anyone touching the Core can direct the island's flight.
Of course, you would really want more energy added to the spell, unless you want your average well prepared mage to be able to dispel your island, and make it plummet to the ground. If the GM judges that such a dispel would need to be done on the core itself, that's less of a problem.
MagnusTheRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #610
tshiggins

Okay, I have a question.

The standard G: Magic system includes spells to summon and control elementals.
The spell cost to summon is based on the point value of the elemental summoned, at one fatigue for every 10 character points.

The spell to Control elementals is also based on the point value of the elemental one wants to command.

Both spells are found on pp27-28 of G:Magic 4e.

I'm using (with some additions) the basic magic set converted to RPM point costs. Has anybody converted these spells, or done something similar on their own?

(Basically, if the elemental can be controlled, it can be shoved into a matrix to bind it, which the group already has. I had thought the command elemental spell had been converted already, but I searched through the list and I see that it has not.

I see it as
Lesser Sense Mind (to detect the elemental): 2
Lesser Sense Mind (to communicate with the elemental): 2
Greater Control Mind (to get it to do what is desired): 5
Up to 3,000 lbs worth of creature (go large or go home): 5
10-yard range: 4
Duration: 10 minutes (more than enough): 1
Limitation: Only on one type of elemental -40% (need different spells for different elemental): -8 (rounded)
Subtotal: 11

It has a single Greater effect, so multiply that by 3: 33 points.

Now, the elemental would get a contested roll against Will to resist, but the Limitation, "Resistance" says it applies to HT-based attacks, only.

Does this look correct?

Thanks!
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology