Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: DF nymphs in banestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
And frankly, I consider it much more realistic that some people just aren't going to like someone instantly no matter what. It's actually not too difficult to get +10 to reactions from a bunch of small traits, but someone constantly walking around with Excellent reactions the moment they walk in the room strains my suspension of disbelief.
The problem is mostly that realistic good and bad reactions don't really stack in the way GURPS makes them stack. However, even if you aren't rolling random reactions, the +10 bonus to influence skills pushes skill levels into degenerate range.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The problem is mostly that realistic good and bad reactions don't really stack in the way GURPS makes them stack.
Yeah, that's an area for some good alternate rules for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
However, even if you aren't rolling random reactions, the +10 bonus to influence skills pushes skill levels into degenerate range.
That's mitigated by the fact that reactions from influence rolls are mostly capped at Good (Very Good for Sex Appeal).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #13
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
That is not really Dungeon Fantasy Nymphs though.

Most of them have Sense of Duty (Nature) and while that restricts the actions of someone trying to size power, it also gives them more reason to be interested in politics.
That would give them a motive besides Blue and Orange Morality: they can be devious and brutal but no more so then humans, and they have a cause a human can identify with.

One can start by thinking them mysterious nightmares, and realize they are creatures that are alien but in some ways also creatures he can understand. A good chance for such traits as Diplomacy, Cultural Familiarity, Unusual Background.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
That's mitigated by the fact that reactions from influence rolls are mostly capped at Good (Very Good for Sex Appeal).
Against PCs there is no cap for MoS, and since it isn't supernatural Rule of 16 doesn't apply either.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
draxdeveloper

You have to remember that Nymphs have a supernatural beauty. So it's not just attraction (afterall, it would work with a blob)
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
draxdeveloper

And, so you think i can just use DF nymph without breaking the game balance? (i don't use unaging in my games, or any aging rule)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #17
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxdeveloper View Post
You have to remember that Nymphs have a supernatural beauty. So it's not just attraction (afterall, it would work with a blob)
It may be supernatural beauty, in that it applies to everyone no matter what visual standards they have, but it's not supernatural in that it goes beyond what beauty or charisma can do - that is, create a good reaction.

Quote:
And, so you think i can just use DF nymph without breaking the game balance?
I think you can, if you remember the limits of reaction rolls: they sometimes are superseded by the GM setting fixed or capped reactions, and even very positive reactions aren't mind control. Bear those in mind, and a nymph character will probably be very influential but not absolutely take over any place she walks into.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
draxdeveloper

Besides Nymph. There is another way to have a "social" race? One that gives transcendental beauty? Or a really high level of "natural" charisma. (in other words, a race that give social advantages that i wouldn't get outside that race)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #19
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Besides Nymph. There is another way to have a "social" race? One that gives transcendental beauty? Or a really high level of "natural" charisma. (in other words, a race that give social advantages that i wouldn't get outside that race)
that normally a description of many of the fae.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #20
draxdeveloper

can't find any Fae in banestorm :(