Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
Colarmel

Default Large Knife throwing damage

So I've searched and found a few topics dealing with this issue, but from the wrong perspective. Large knife seems to be correctly capping my melee damage at 1d+2 (18 eff ST). But when it is a thrown weapon, it isn't capping it at 18 effective ST. Is there a quick way to fix this?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Large Knife throwing damage

I believe that capping of damage based on ST is only supposed to apply to melee weapons, not thrown weapons. So, odd as it seems, a thrown knife shouldn't be capped, just as shuriken aren't.

Unless I've been living under a serious misapprehension all these years.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

It's supposed to apply to thrown weapons, too. The DFRPG is clearer in this regard: "For a melee or thrown weapon, your effective ST for damage purposes cannot exceed triple the weapon's ST statistic." However, this was answered (by SJ, in fact) many suns ago, though it has somehow managed not to show up in the Basic Set.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Supposedly this is why steel crossbows are worth it, even though this rule doesn't actually appear anywhere.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's supposed to apply to thrown weapons, too. The DFRPG is clearer in this regard: "For a melee or thrown weapon, your effective ST for damage purposes cannot exceed triple the weapon's ST statistic." However, this was answered (by SJ, in fact) many suns ago, though it has somehow managed not to show up in the Basic Set.
Okay, then. That certainly makes more sense than not. I guess I'll have to see about fixing that.

Soooo, how does that boil down for other muscle-powered weapons, then, that might be argued as thrown or not? Does it affect atlatl or sling? What about blowpipe? I guess not bows or crossbows, since they're for a fixed ST already?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I guess not bows or crossbows, since they're for a fixed ST already?
According to Bill Stoddard, it applies to crossbow maximum ST.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
So I've searched and found a few topics dealing with this issue, but from the wrong perspective. Large knife seems to be correctly capping my melee damage at 1d+2 (18 eff ST). But when it is a thrown weapon, it isn't capping it at 18 effective ST. Is there a quick way to fix this?
Okay then.

Since the capping is done internally by GCA, and specifically applies that capping only to melee weapons, there's not just a tag you can apply to fix this, and still have GCA calculate everything correctly for you.

The simplest way to fix it is to simply manually set the damage done by the thrown weapon to the maximum amount available. In this case, you will be able to see what that is by looking at the non-thrown thrust damage of the knife.

Click on the knife, then click Edit. Then click Full Edit Window.

You'll now be looking at the tag edit grid. About ten lines down will be a row labled damage and just below that is the chardamage row. The damage row is the values for the various modes of the knife, while the chardamage row is the calculated values based on them.

For a large knife, the damage tag value is sw-2|thr|thr. That's the damages for the modes of swing, thrust, and thrown, separated by | symbols. We'll want to change that last entry.

In the chardamage row, you'll see the calculated values for your character. They'll also be separated by | characters, and will be in the same order. My sample character has a 30 ST, so his values are 3d-2|1d+2|3d. That 3d value is wrong, and we'll want get it replaced with 1d+2.

Click into the data area for the damage tag on the grid. Carefully select just the thr text at the end, NOT including the | symbol. Replace it with the 1d+2 that we know is the correct value. Press TAB to quit editing.

You should now see the chardamage value updated with the correct value for the thrown mode, as you entered it into the damage tag.

Click OK until you're back to GCA, and save your changes.

You'll have to do this manually again if your character's ST changes. And I'll see about fixing this in GCA for the future.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:56 AM   #8
Drone 5

Armin
That will be very cool when you make that fix. Do you have any ETA for us?
Drone 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Armin
That will be very cool when you make that fix. Do you have any ETA for us?
I'm afraid that I don't, sorry.