Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
NightHawk

Default Naming of files

Would it be possible to have files consistent in naming the new release power_ups 8 has a dash in the filename when i save it but all the others have underscores only.

Itis just annoying when trying to find it in your e-reader application when it is not in the same group as the others especially for those with many pdf's

Just a suggestion for improvement. Love what you guys do and thanks for the new pdf.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Naming of files

Seconded. It makes it hard to easily scan to and find the files when, say, Power Ups 4 and 5 aren't right after each other on my computer, and I'm loath to change the name and have to worry an update will sit side by side with an older file because I did so.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Steven Marsh

I'm not sure what the issue is.

I just redownloaded the entire Power-Ups series, and the file names seem to be consistent:
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_1_Imbuements.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_2_Perks.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_3_Talents.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_4_Enhancements.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_5_Impulse_Buys.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_6_Quirks.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_7_Wildcard_Skills.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_8_Limitations.pdf

Am I missing something here?
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
RobKamm

I just got Power Ups 8 and had a dash instead of the an underscore between "Power" and "Ups".

At some time in the past I renamed some of my other Power Ups to use an underscore because the new titles seemed to be using them. I'll happily change them back to dashes if that will be the "new standard."

I also remember removing a few second dashes or underscores, but couldn't say which files had them.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
NightHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
I'm not sure what the issue is.

I just redownloaded the entire Power-Ups series, and the file names seem to be consistent:
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_1_Imbuements.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_2_Perks.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_3_Talents.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_4_Enhancements.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_5_Impulse_Buys.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_6_Quirks.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_7_Wildcard_Skills.pdf
  • GURPS_Power-Ups_8_Limitations.pdf

Am I missing something here?
What you are missing is that maybe something changed on your end because most of our files dont have a - between Power_Ups. It is as i just wrote it. Also if this changed on your end for all those files downloading files that have been updated is going to lead to alot of duplicates

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
NightHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
I just got Power Ups 8 and had a dash instead of the an underscore between "Power" and "Ups".

At some time in the past I renamed some of my other Power Ups to use an underscore because the new titles seemed to be using them. I'll happily change them back to dashes if that will be the "new standard."

I also remember removing a few second dashes or underscores, but couldn't say which files had them.
Ya at one time it might have changed before and perhaps it changed again i think i am just begging to keep it consistent for the end users sanity sake lol

Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
brandonm
Cybernetic Overlord, Protector of the Fairness, Ebliberator of Stealage & Grand Purveyor of Laser Cats

If we keep changing it to address these reports then the naming will never be consistent and we will keep getting reports of naming inconsistencies since the file we fixed for you will now be broken for someone else. Therefore, we will leave it as is.

It should be simple enough to rename the file on whatever device you have downloaded it to. Or download it again and delete the old file with the undesired name. If anyone needs technical assistance with that feel free to email info@sjgames.com with your login name and device info and I'll be happy to help you.
brandonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonm View Post
If we keep changing it to address these reports then the naming will never be consistent and we will keep getting reports of naming inconsistencies since the file we fixed for you will now be broken for someone else. Therefore, we will leave it as is.
I don't know about the others, but if you chose a consistent standard going forward, fixed everything to that standard, and kept to that standard from now on my issue would be addressed. You wouldn't have to keep doing anything.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
I don't know about the others, but if you chose a consistent standard going forward, fixed everything to that standard, and kept to that standard from now on my issue would be addressed. You wouldn't have to keep doing anything.
Seconded.

Added for length.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
brandonm
Cybernetic Overlord, Protector of the Fairness, Ebliberator of Stealage & Grand Purveyor of Laser Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
The thing is, the files are named when you download them. If you re-download anything today, it will be named according to the current naming schema. So, in a sense, what you have asked has already happened.

Also, the current naming schema has been in place since at least May 2014, when this topic was last brought up: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=125494

Last edited by brandonm; 12-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.
brandonm is offline   Reply With Quote