Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #191
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: The "right" value for a SHVY?

...the Superheavy is equipped with two "Cannon" :

- Attack 3 / Range 3 / Defense 5 of Superheavy and uses the "Partial Damage Table"

...OGREs are equipped with "Secondary Batteries" :

- Attack 3 / Range 2 / Defense 3 - Ignore D attack results on it

...the Samurai is equipped with "Nihon-modified Secondary Batteries have the same range as Main Batteries" (Stated in the Nihon Supplement) :

- Attack 3 / Range 3 / Defense 3 - Ignore D attack results on it

Some interesting things to note :

The Nihon-modified Secondary Batteries are the best weapon.
SHVY Cannon were fielded before OGRE Secondary Batteries and have a better range.
SHVY Cannon are physically smaller than OGRE Secondary Batteries being at least twice if not three times as small.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 05-29-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #192
Cat

It's been working very nicely at 15VP in many games this past year for me.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #193
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
It's been working very nicely at 15VP in many games this past year for me.
Oooh, playtest data. Thank you!

Questions:

Is anyone taking a mostly-SHVY force? If so, are they winning?

Is anyone taking no SHVYs? Are they winning?
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #194
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Oooh, playtest data. Thank you!

Questions:

Is anyone taking a mostly-SHVY force? If so, are they winning?

Is anyone taking no SHVYs? Are they winning?
I'ld guess I've run about 30 or so games now where SHVYs would be a viable option for one or both forces.

Players have been choosing some or none when viable, and that choice has not been impacting their odds of winning, just changes the tactics a bit. No one has been choosing a mostly SHVY force; it might be viable in some scenarios, but the number of forces get very thin on the ground; they might work, but no one has wanted to push it too much.

They have proven, no big surprise, to be an unwise choice to take one in a thin line of defense because the line just gets spread too thin.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #195
selenite

Thanks, that's useful info.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:49 AM   #196
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
They have proven, no big surprise, to be an unwise choice to take one in a thin line of defense because the line just gets spread too thin.
I think that this, right here, is the primary "real world" reason why the SHVY never became the absolute dominant unit on the battlefield. While it's probably workable to use an all SHVY force in small situation-specific tactics (e.g., punching a hole through a defensive line where it's too strong to attack with weaker units but not strong enough to gang up on the SHVYs one at a time - e.g., Breakthrough), beyond that I'm guessing that there just aren't enough of them to properly attack or defend anything bigger than that. And that you'd need a more diverse follow-up force to truly accomplish the objectives.

That does give me an idea though, that might make an interesting scenario - using the combined Breakthrough/Raid concept (or even just using it as background and making it all Breakthrough), having a small (6-8) all-SHVY force to punch through the lines, with a second wave of all-LGEVs coming in to zoom through the hole and chew up the soft underbelly in an "Operation Newspaper" style attack. Make it something like the LGEVs must enter on a certain turn and must travel in the designated direction at full speed (and stay stacked at a certain depth) until they reach a certain point, which is well past the starting defensive line. Thus the SHVYs have a limited amount of time to punch the hole and secure a safe corridor for the LGEVs to get through or they're toast. It's also an interesting contrast between the D5 SHVY that can shrug off A2 or less (and A4 or less spillover) and the D1 LGEV that falls apart against almost anything that gets in range...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #197
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
That does give me an idea though, that might make an interesting scenario - using the combined Breakthrough/Raid concept (or even just using it as background and making it all Breakthrough), having a small (6-8) all-SHVY force to punch through the lines, with a second wave of all-LGEVs coming in to zoom through the hole and chew up the soft underbelly in an "Operation Newspaper" style attack. Make it something like the LGEVs must enter on a certain turn and must travel in the designated direction at full speed (and stay stacked at a certain depth) until they reach a certain point, which is well past the starting defensive line. Thus the SHVYs have a limited amount of time to punch the hole and secure a safe corridor for the LGEVs to get through or they're toast. It's also an interesting contrast between the D5 SHVY that can shrug off A2 or less (and A4 or less spillover) and the D1 LGEV that falls apart against almost anything that gets in range...
.....Nice!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #198
Cat

Ran a couple of SHVY stress test games today. Scenario testing on M1 where SHVYs are brutally hard to KO in the city. At 2.5 Au, the attacking players have always chosen some SHVYs in their force. Tried it today maxing them out: 18 AU = 7 SHVY + 1 LGEV.

Wins for both sides. Works fine as just another entertaining option which sets up different tactical choices for both sides.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #199
selenite

The analytical part of my read the post and responded, "Good, solid playtest data to confirm 2.5AU as the best value."

The narrative part of my mind read the post and thought, "That poor LGEV pilot must have been wondering what the $#@% he did to wind up there."
Old 06-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #200
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
The narrative part of my mind read the post and thought, "That poor LGEV pilot must have been wondering what the $#@% he did to wind up there."
The happy LGEV pilot correctly assessed that there were many more important targets on the battlefield and played a jaunty and daring role throughout the proceedings and lived to tell the tale. Nipped in to disable the defending howitzer, setting it up for a SHVY to close for the kill in the first battle. In the second battle, was one of two defeated attackers who escaped.

"I am the tip of the SHVY spear; tiny, but with a lot of momentum behind me!"

The survival secret is to never be the only target available to opposition.

Edit: Plucky LGEV in action on point:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Last edited by Cat; 06-24-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote