Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
cupbearer

Default Problem with Stealth?

hi

okay, so the game says you don't roll perception to contest stealth unless you were actively on guard for someone sneaking around (sentry post, party on camp watch etc).

Problem 1:
Guy with stealth 10 versus sentry with perception 8 is has a better chance of sneaking if there is someone on guard duty then if not. this is really weird.

Problem 2:
I notice things by accident in real life all the time, i feel like people who are more perceptive will have a better chance at passively noticing things, and yet, by the rules your perception is irrelevant unless you specify you are watching out for stuff. It seems illogical.

Can someone rationalize or explain something that i might be missing here? are there different modifiers that apply if there is no contest vs. contest? if so what are they?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Problem with Stealth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
hi

okay, so the game says you don't roll perception to contest stealth unless you were actively on guard for someone sneaking around (sentry post, party on camp watch etc).

Problem 1:
Guy with stealth 10 versus sentry with perception 8 is has a better chance of sneaking if there is someone on guard duty then if not. this is really weird.

Problem 2:
I notice things by accident in real life all the time, i feel like people who are more perceptive will have a better chance at passively noticing things, and yet, by the rules your perception is irrelevant unless you specify you are watching out for stuff. It seems illogical.

Can someone rationalize or explain something that i might be missing here? are there different modifiers that apply if there is no contest vs. contest? if so what are they?
The contested stealth roll only happens if the intruder successfully rolled stealth in the first place. Otherwise they get a passive perception roll with a bonus equal to the amount by which the intruder failed.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
GWJ

Yeah, I have problem with that too. Especially with creatures with good hearing but not actively on guard (house cat or dog for example).
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The contested stealth roll only happens if the intruder successfully rolled stealth in the first place. Otherwise they get a passive perception roll with a bonus equal to the amount by which the intruder failed.
Can you show me where it says that is the case? I do not believe i have seen such rules.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Yeah, I have problem with that too. Especially with creatures with good hearing but not actively on guard (house cat or dog for example).
This could be mitigated by saying that animals are always on guard (or that maybe just guard dogs are on guard), furthermore the stealth is penalized by disciminatory smell so it is more likely certain animals will find you.

but yeah i agree. if you are stalking an animal it doesn't how good that animal is at noticing things unless you interpret it as per above.

Oliver.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
GWJ

Quote:
This could be mitigated by saying that animals are always on guard (or that maybe just guard dogs are on guard), furthermore the stealth is penalized by disciminatory smell so it is more likely certain animals will find you.

but yeah i agree. if you are stalking an animal it doesn't how good that animal is at noticing things unless you interpret it as per above.

Oliver.
An animal is just an example. It could be just human with good hearing - it should be harder to sneak to him even if he's not on alert at the moment. This is one of the main issues I have with GURPS
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
Stormcrow

When it's not a contest, the Stealth roll is about whether you successfully make yourself quiet or invisible, not whether you avoid being noticed. To use Stealth to avoid a passive potential observer, the GM can simply add a modifier representing any unusual Perception. Say, Perception 10 is no modifier, and go from there.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Can you show me where it says that is the case? I do not believe i have seen such rules.
If you haven't succeeded in stealth, there's nothing to contest. You're just making noise and failing to conceal yourself and it's up to them to notice or not.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

I would never ever use an uncontested Stealth roll. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Slap a penalty on notice rolls for inattentive observers and it should be fine.

Not claiming this is as-written.
Quote:
If you haven't succeeded in stealth, there's nothing to contest. You're just making noise and failing to conceal yourself and it's up to them to notice or not.
That's not how contests normally work, and it's hard to see whey it should suddenly be how it works here.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Exactly this.

Quote:
Yup, that's how I've always run it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote