Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
mhd

Default Familiarity & Techniques

I really like the idea of techniques, but the cost breaks for GURPS often make raising the core skill the better choice. So I'm currently thinking about making them a bit easier to attain.
First choice would obviously just re-jiggering the costs (making everything Average or beyond, either in general or for the techniques of your MA style).

But what about re-stating Techniques as familiarity penalties? I mean, having special training in some aspect and overcoming not being used to a certain approach has some overlap…

I was thinking about some kind of "Personal Style" perk that allows you to get a maximum of +3 in X techniques. Already included in proper Style perks, as long as the techniques are listed there.

Or just generally allow that, with a maximum of one +1 bonus per session and only for techniques/combiations demonstrated during play.

Am I opening up myself for abuse here?

And for completeness' sake, other ideas for Moar Techniques:

1) Masteries: Free technique points at certain skill breakpoints (e.g. DX+1/3/5...)
2) McDojo: To pass beyond a certain breakpoint, you need to learn (and pay) for a certain technique.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Familiarity & Techniques

I actually find that changing the cost of skills make Techniques more appealing. Make combat skills (or all skills progress as 1,2,4,6,+6... Etc. This is one idea I have been toying with.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Familiarity & Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
But what about re-stating Techniques as familiarity penalties? I mean, having special training in some aspect and overcoming not being used to a certain approach has some overlap.
So you'd get to buy a technique up to base skill with the same amount of training as gaining a familiarity? Or perhaps a day per -1 or -2 you paid off? How about techniques that can go above base skill?
Quote:
Am I opening up myself for abuse here?
If techniques are too easy, everyone will have them, and they lose their potential for differentiating characters.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote