Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #101
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#27): Common Sense, Intuition

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
... having a Meta-Advantage that says you have every SOP Perk if needed but requires an IQ roll is suddenly inappropriate.
If you actually had every perk, you would have to actually do all the procedures, and given that it is an open-ended perk, the set of all SOPs is countably infinite.

A cinematic ability to always already have done the correct procedures only is a different animal, but as written SOP is realistic.

Quote:
I can understand not liking some 'Cosmic' version of SOP on steroids, or even the suggestion of rewriting Common Sense to be this, but: If it's an Advantage it should be treated as an Advantage.
I am saying that isn't how Common Sense works and that always doing every conceivable procedure wouldn't be common sense as colloquially meant, it would in fact be an obsessive compulsive disorder and impossible to actually achieve.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #102
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
A cinematic ability to always already have done the correct procedures only is a different animal, but as written SOP is realistic.
SOP is sometimes realistic. Some of the ones you've referred to (the 'always top off' perks for batteries, fuel tanks, and ammo) are tagged as cinematic in PU2 and not included in Tactical Shooting.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #103
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
SOP is sometimes realistic. Some of the ones you've referred to (the 'always top off' perks for batteries, fuel tanks, and ammo) are tagged as cinematic in PU2 and not included in Tactical Shooting.
The concept of SOP perks is realistic. Regardless of the specific procedure, it does mean you are actually doing the thing, not that you automagically have done the thing only when it would matter. A concept that doesn't really relate to common sense or Common Sense (or even Common Sense).

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-24-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #104
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The concept of SOP perks is realistic. Regardless of the specific procedure, it does mean you are actually doing the thing, not that you automagically have done then thong only when it would matter. A concept that doesn't really relate to common sense or Common Sense (or even Common Sense).
I don't think the cinematic ones are intended to be associated with the GM requiring you to account for the time and effort of literally always topping things off whenever you're off-screen, though.

But I agree that 'has all SOPs' doesn't make sense as a construct, and 'has all SOPs only when useful' doesn't really either, and neither is common sense. Though some failures to perform could be grounds to roll for Common Sense. If you decide to drive your jeep out into the desert, certain combinations of SOP would mean you definitely load fuel and gear without needing to mention it, but if you don't have such SOPs but do have Common Sense, a roll to be reminded that you're about to roll out with 50 miles worth of gas and no water would be entirely justified.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #105
Kalzazz

I have been pondering a variant on Common Sense for Bards, say a form of Narrativive Sense

Not precisely sure how it would work
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #106
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I have been pondering a variant on Common Sense for Bards, say a form of Narrativive Sense

Not precisely sure how it would work
"Heroes know that things must happen when it is time for them to happen. A quest may not simply be abandoned; unicorns may go unrescued for a long time, but not forever; a happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story."
-Prince Lir, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

I think picking the choice that makes the best story, rather than the choice that would be more subjectively best for the character is probably a +0% modifier for Intuition.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #107
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Sorry, I'd read that as "after every single use," which would be excessive. How often would they actually be changed?
Before every mission. I think in a realistic campaign instead of Energizer and Full-Tank you could have:
PCCs
Prior to every mission you make sure you have all the gear and consumables you have been ordered to carry and that you have tested your communications equipment and anything else prone to malfunction.

PCIs
Prior to every mission you inspect your immediate subordinates to make sure they have all the gear and consumables they have been ordered to carry and that all of their malfunction-prone equipment has been verified as working.

Quote:
I think actually, I find SOP's too granular. Take, for example, Pants Positive Safety. Obviously important in real life, but I have trouble imagining a GM who'd make players roll every time they drew their guns to avoid unfortunate self-injury unless they'd explicitly stated the safety was on.
Pants Positive Safety isn't listed as an SOP perk. Perks like Move to Cover seem to be much more generally useful.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-24-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #108
Kalzazz

I recall also rules for allowing a check vs Theology or Philosophy to get some DM advice on 'what your teachings say to do'

I suspect you could allow a check vs Literature as well 'in such a circumstance, Frodo did Y'
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, common sense, intuition, week, [basic]