Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default [DF] Tempered Glass Armor and Tempered Glass Shields

I was wondering if anyone had any rules for making tempered glass armor and tempered glass shields. Since tempered glass weapons exist, I imagine that you could make armor and shields from the substance. I would personally give tempered glass armor +1 DR, x3/4 weight, and +29 CF and tempered glass shields +1 Block, x3/4 weight, and +29 CF, but I would love to hear other options.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: [DF] Tempered Glass Armor and Tempered Glass Shields

Doesn't glass, even tempered glass, tend to shatter when struck sharp blows by steel weapons? I think that would contra-indicate using it as armour.

Happy to be shown to be wrong BTW, because I will be learning something.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Why would it shatter as armor if it would not shatter when striking armor, when parrying blows, or when being parried or blocked?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Doesn't glass, even tempered glass, tend to shatter when struck sharp blows by steel weapons? I think that would contra-indicate using it as armour.

Happy to be shown to be wrong BTW, because I will be learning something.
Real glass, yes, but this is more like the "glass" in the Elder Scrolls games, which definitely can be used for superior armor.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
Nemoricus

Ordinary tempered glass, yes, but Dungeon Fantasy tempered glass from DF8 is much more sturdy.

I don't see any particular reason that shields and armor couldn't be made from the material, but since the signature property of the material is its extreme sharpness, I don't know that it would provide any benefit aside from its transparency.

Shields and helmets might benefit, though, since it would keep them from blocking your line of sight. In particular, it would eliminate No Peripheral Vision and Tunnel Vision from helmets.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
mr beer

OK my bad. Was hoping some super cool glass substance had been invented and I didn't know. Carry on.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
I don't see any particular reason that shields and armor couldn't be made from the material, but since the signature property of the material is its extreme sharpness, I don't know that it would provide any benefit aside from its transparency.
It's also resistant to acid and electricity. And yes, a full face helm could (maybe) be made to do away with eye slits*...

* The Glass Armor of the original Morrowind had covered eyes, but the glass was a milky light green. In later games (Oblivion and Skyrim) the helms had uncovered eyes. So I'd put it somewhere between Tinted Goggles at -5 and Pixie Stained Glass Spec at -1... call it -3 to Vision rolls, but give it full DR.

Need to see if my GM will go for this... my Ogress could use a face shield to protect her eyes... one of her few weak spots.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:37 AM   #8
Tomsdad

I like the idea of a shield that you can see though (they are already used today by riot police of course!)

actually what do people think would be net effect of having a see through shield. it want;t block your LOS as regular shield potentially* can, but equally that see through benefit goes both ways you can't disguise what your doing behind that shield either.

*I know you don't hold your shield in front of your eyes, but a larger shield can block off your vision to some bits of the immediate area, an effect that can be taken advantage of if you're not careful.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 02-20-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The obvious would be large shields that don't give -2 to attacks.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:19 AM   #10
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The obvious would be large shields that don't give -2 to attacks.
I admit I did think that, but the shield does still physically take up space and could get in the way of your other weapon (at least that was a possible issue when I used shields). But yeah maybe spilt the difference to -1?

Last edited by Tomsdad; 02-21-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote