Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
Litvyak

Default Re: Committed Attack Abuse

Player: I Committed Attack the air!
GM: No.

Seriously, though, I would treat such a declaration as a Do Nothing maneuver and move on. I have little patience for rules-lawyering nonsense.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post

Seriously, though, I would treat such a declaration as a Do Nothing maneuver and move on. I have little patience for rules-lawyering nonsense.
But if you do that without actually thinking about and addressing the issue (as with, for instance, PK's answer) you leave a situation where someone can move further if there's an enemy in reach than if there is not. Your players may not be getting away with brazenly widening the nonsensical rule case for easy exploitation, but it's still there.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
Litvyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
But if you do that without actually thinking about and addressing the issue (as with, for instance, PK's answer) you leave a situation where someone can move further if there's an enemy in reach than if there is not. Your players may not be getting away with brazenly widening the nonsensical rule case for easy exploitation, but it's still there.
Shutting down blatant abuse of the rules doesn't stop me from addressing the issue when there's an enemy in reach and it becomes a legitimate rules question.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #14
malloyd

Quote:
OK, make an attack roll. No you can't skip it, we need to determine if you critically failed. Don't forget the -10 for not being able to see the target.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #15
Lup3rcal

So the general consensus seems to be pretty much what I hoped/expected. It's a nonsensical rules exploit and should never provide more mobility than a move action. Thanks for the responses everyone, you guys are awesome.
Lup3rcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:

You seemed to be too focused on the enemy. But it's not the presence of the enemy that makes the person move faster. It's the partial sacrifice of defence that does it. Which you can do even when there's no enemy around. In fact situations can come up where you do a regular Attack only to find that before you can roll the dice, you either no longer can attack at all, or no longer have an attackable target.

People who normally move fast will go further than CA, and just pick a Move, which is broadly speaking just better than CA.

The issue was with the quantum rounding, and Reverend Pee Kitty addressed it in a way that solves it. (Also FYI this answer has been added to the uFAQ yesterday.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
OK, make an attack roll. No you can't skip it, we need to determine if you critically failed. Don't forget the -10 for not being able to see the target.
Malicious genie interpretations of players' declarations of their PCs' actions run the risk of causing social tension in a party. Better just address the issue in a clean manner instead.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:00 AM   #17
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Damn, I wish this forum allowed me to give xp!

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, gurps, martial arts, rules