Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: How to spread a limitation across a set of powers?

Hey, all!

Quick question. Let's say I have the advantage costs 1 FP per 10 seconds on my main power in a group of alternative abilities/attacks/whatevers. I want to make each and every ability fit to this. If I'm using ability A or B or C, I want it to cost me 1 FP per 10 seconds. But I don't want to put the limitation on each ability because then I will be paying 1 FP if I switch to B or C and the 10 second timer restarts.

So, I want costs 1 FP per 10 seconds of using A or B or C. Not costs 1 FP per 10 seconds of A and costs 1 FP per 10 seconds of B and costs 1 FP per 10 seconds of C.

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Quick Question: How to spread a limitation across a set of powers?

Isn't that just a feature of such set? Especially if this is Power Modifier.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Hey, all!

Quick question. Let's say I have the advantage costs 1 FP per 10 seconds on my main power in a group of alternative abilities/attacks/whatevers. I want to make each and every ability fit to this. If I'm using ability A or B or C, I want it to cost me 1 FP per 10 seconds. But I don't want to put the limitation on each ability because then I will be paying 1 FP if I switch to B or C and the 10 second timer restarts.

So, I want costs 1 FP per 10 seconds of using A or B or C. Not costs 1 FP per 10 seconds of A and costs 1 FP per 10 seconds of B and costs 1 FP per 10 seconds of C.

Thanks!
Pretty sure this covers it...

Quote:
I want an ability that costs FP or HP to use, but the ability consists of several Advantages; how do I allocate the FP/HP cost limitation?
For those familiar with the problem, here's a solution from Kromm:
First, do not buy a Link unless the ability really needs it (see below).
Second, chose an Advantage that gets the best discount for FP/HP Cost Limitation. Now, add Accessibility (Only while that main Advantage is active) -10% to all other Advantages in the ability. Unlike switchability (of any sort), Accessibility doesn't require separate Ready manoeuvres to turn on the Advantage, so it just flips on once it is accessible.

Exceptions (Switchable): Static, Mana Damper, and other Advantages with a non-10% Switchable price still need to take the Switchable enhancement to benefit from this build; this makes them have a net cost of 190%. Otherwise, either the Accessibility or the FP/HP/ER cost have a free Switchability included.

Exceptions (Link): links are needed for transient abilities, like Shapeshifting, Attacks (incl. Binding and Afflictions) or other 'special' cases. In fact, Linking them at +10% level actually prevents you from using them unlinked (and thus negates the right to buy the -10% Accessibility).
It comes from this section of the uFAQ

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Hey, all!

Thanks!
Can you run them all at the same time for less fatigue cost? That is if you are using A and paying 1 FP per 10 seconds, is it free to turn on B and C?.

That would seem to be the only really tricky case. If that isn't the case then putting costs fatigue on each of them normally seems to cover it. If you can only use one of them at a time, you still put costs fatigue on each one individually, but buy the cheaper two (after modification) as Alternate Abilities of the most expensive.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Pretty sure this covers it...
That Krommquote explains how to calculate the cost for a Costs FP ability that is actually composed of several base Advantages activated simultaneously.

I think Raekai is asking for a limitation that imposes a constant FP expenditure per unit time that lets you change between any number of distinct abilities, using them sequentially and exclusively (AAs of each other), but without paying FP more than once (per 10 seconds of use of any ability). You just yell "I have the power!" once and pay the FP, and then you're good to use any of your abilities for "free" for the rest of the interval.

You could built that as one giant ability with Switchable on everything, and just happen to choose to use Switchable to only activate one at a time, but that seems an expensive and untidy way to get there. Combining an overarching placeholder ability with an AA that contains all the real abilities could also be done, but still seems clumsy to be.

What's the limitation that works like the combat fatigue in Basic? Fight all you want, with any mix of attacks and defenses and other maneuvers, and then get assessed one flat FP cost at the end of the fight? You might also want a slightly more restrictive version that has an up-front cost, thus denying you that FP in the fight itself, for extra effort or whatever, as opposed to making you pass out from overexertion when the fight's over.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I think Raekai is asking for a limitation that imposes a constant FP expenditure per unit time that lets you change between any number of distinct abilities, using them sequentially and exclusively (AAs of each other), but without paying FP more than once (per 10 seconds of use of any ability). You just yell "I have the power!" once and pay the FP, and then you're good to use any of your abilities for "free" for the rest of the interval.
Yep! I apologize if I worded it poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Isn't that just a feature of such set? Especially if this is Power Modifier.
That's what I might just go with. Or say the cost of the limitation is only worth half normal a la fast reload stuff.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, alternate abilities, fatigue, limitations, powers