Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Compartmentalized Minds with different Stats

Let's say I want to build a character with CM 3, meaning he has 4 CMs (mental maneuvers / compartments).

I want one to be IQ 20, two to be IQ 10, and one to be IQ 8. What's the best, fairest way to price that?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: Compartmentalized Minds with different Stats

Either also buy Split Personality (if the different minds can assume control of the body without warning) or Alternate Form (if they reach consensus on who is in charge at any one time).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Either also buy Split Personality (if the different minds can assume control of the body without warning) or Alternate Form (if they reach consensus on who is in charge at any one time).
I thought about both...

The concept is an AI that basically has multiple CPUs, but each of them function at different capacities, sort of like a PC that has one Pentium I, two Pentium IIs, and a modern chip. But they're all ultimately the same mind, the same person.

So Split Personality wouldn't fit. As far as Alernate Form, it would work, it's just that it would paradoxically make the build more expensive than just buying an IQ of 20 and 3 levels of CM. The end result must be cheaper, because in the end what the guy has is less good than that.

I thought about cascading limitations on the bought up levels of IQ - selling down base IQ to 8, and then buying IQ+2 with "for 3 of 4 CMs" and the other IQ+8 (for the IQ 20 CM) with "for 1 of 4 CMs", or doing the opposite and having the base IQ bought up to 20 and having cascading limitations on the sold down levels. But I don't want to end up handing out discounts so good that the build makes the extra CM levels free either!

Or maybe limitations on the CM levels themselves, except that's not very scalable if I wanted to have a greater variability between the CMs (maybe one has higher Will, or another has TK and the others don't, etc.).
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I thought about both...

The concept is an AI that basically has multiple CPUs, but each of them function at different capacities, sort of like a PC that has one Pentium I, two Pentium IIs, and a modern chip. ).
Call it a 10% nuisance effect on the CM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
The concept is an AI that basically has multiple CPUs, but each of them function at different capacities, sort of like a PC that has one Pentium I, two Pentium IIs, and a modern chip. But they're all ultimately the same mind, the same person.
Can they really be? If you operate on an IQ 8 level, are you really the same as your IQ 20 incarnation, even if you have the same memories? Especially for an AI, you're not just operating on different speeds, you're not able to tackle the same level of complexity, which is probably closer to having a different algorithm.

The inverse of ETS would be really helpful here as a temporary disadvantage…
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Can they really be? If you operate on an IQ 8 level, are you really the same as your IQ 20 incarnation, even if you have the same memories? Especially for an AI, you're not just operating on different speeds, you're not able to tackle the same level of complexity, which is probably closer to having a different algorithm.

The inverse of ETS would be really helpful here as a temporary disadvantage…
The inverse of ETS is a low IQ taking more time for a positive dice modifier.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The inverse of ETS is a low IQ taking more time for a positive dice modifier.
If only reality would work that way, too ;)
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Nosforontu

Temporary Disadvantage on the lower intelligence Compartmentalized minds perhaps?
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3
As far as Alernate Form, it would work, it's just that it would paradoxically make the build more expensive than just buying an IQ of 20 and 3 levels of CM. The end result must be cheaper, because in the end what the guy has is less good than that.
This looks like Disadvantageous Alternate Form might fit.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
This looks like Disadvantageous Alternate Form might fit.
It isn't disadvantageous. I mean the 20 IQ is always there for any problem that needs it.

Tags
compartmentalized mind