Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Compartmentalized Minds with different Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Let's say I want to build a character with CM 3, meaning he has 4 CMs (mental maneuvers / compartments).

I want one to be IQ 20, two to be IQ 10, and one to be IQ 8. What's the best, fairest way to price that?
IQ 20 (Nuisance Effect, Inconvenient, -5%) [190] ... is what I would price it as. The specific IQ of the specific compartment isn't really important; the higher IQ is still available for use; its' just inconvenient to apply it to things being handled by the other compartments.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Gnomasz

I'd go with Unreliable: -5% for -3 IQ.
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It isn't disadvantageous. I mean the 20 IQ is always there for any problem that needs it.
It's not completely clear to me what the OP wants, but he was the one that said AF almost fits. There is definitely a drop-off from a character with IQ20 and three levels of CM, not the least of which is the fact that the less intelligent minds are more vulnerable.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
It's not completely clear to me what the OP wants, but he was the one that said AF almost fits. There is definitely a drop-off from a character with IQ20 and three levels of CM, not the least of which is the fact that the less intelligent minds are more vulnerable.
I think a Disadvantageous Alternate Form would work.

Are there any worked examples of how to do a disadvantageous AF? They were introduced first in the Powers Design Notes, and then really officially in Horro. But neither had a single example build of how a build with it looks, and I admit I'm not entirely clear about how to use it (in any context, let alone this one).
Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
lexington

Quote:
I think a Disadvantageous Alternate Form would work.

Are there any worked examples of how to do a disadvantageous AF? They were introduced first in the Powers Design Notes, and then really officially in Horro. But neither had a single example build of how a build with it looks, and I admit I'm not entirely clear about how to use it (in any context, let alone this one).
I don't think that's what he wants. DAF isn't a disadvantage because the form is weaker, its a disadvantage because the change and resulting creature are uncontrollable.

Last edited by lexington; 11-28-2011 at 01:21 PM.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #16
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I don't think that's what he wants. DAF isn't a disadvantage because the form is weaker, its a disadvantage because the change and resulting creature are uncontrollable.
True enough.

That's why it feels to me like some kind of Accessibility limitation (albeit a small one perhaps) on any traits bought that can't be used for all the compartments, based on the percentage of the compartments to which they apply. So in my listed example, he has 1 CM of IQ 20, 2 of IQ 10, and 1 of IQ 8. So maybe I establish a base IQ (either buy up to IQ 20 unmodified, or sell down to IQ 8 unmodified), and then sell down (or buy up, in the other case) IQ with the appropriate limitation value for "Only applies for N% of compartments".

Or alternatively I figure out what would be a reasonable limitation per CM level (obviously capped at -80%). I've been talking about IQ but really more flexibly we could be talking about one CM having a high TK and the others not having that at all. Certainly even with just IQ it seems to me that there should be a substantial discount if only one of your CMs has IQ 20 and the others act as IQ 10 or below (leaving them both less capable as well as more vulnerable). It's certainly more than a Nuisance Effect.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington
It's true that you would have to dive into house rule waters, but I don't think it has to be a perilous descent. Substituting "absolutely weaker" for Uncontrollable looks like it should be manageable for a variant Disadvantageous AF. Still, the AF concept does seem kinda wonky... maybe they could be Allies?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
PK

Quote:
Let's say I want to build a character with CM 3, meaning he has 4 CMs (mental maneuvers / compartments).

I want one to be IQ 20, two to be IQ 10, and one to be IQ 8. What's the best, fairest way to price that?
Nosforontu has it right. This is a temporary disadvantage on the compartments that are dumber. It's definitely not a standalone disadvantage, because the character is still getting a net benefit here -- "I have three additional minds, but they're a little slower," is still obviously a better deal than, "I have no additional minds." You're reducing the utility of these additional compartments, not limiting the character himself in any way.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #19
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Nosforontu has it right. This is a temporary disadvantage on the compartments that are dumber. It's definitely not a standalone disadvantage, because the character is still getting a net benefit here -- "I have three additional minds, but they're a little slower," is still obviously a better deal than, "I have no additional minds." You're reducing the utility of these additional compartments, not limiting the character himself in any way.
Thanks! That seems like a good use for Temporary Disadvantage.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #20
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Point. The AF idea was starting to sound like a bad fit, although I think there is still general merit to the idea of a variant Disadvantageous Alternate Form.

I remember using the idea of "a limit on the advantage, rather than a disad for the character" once... I think it was in one of my "Can't Wear Armor" rants :/

Tags
compartmentalized mind