Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #21
whswhs

Default Re: GURPS Action 9: The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
That's more or less what I always took for granted that they were. Chicago would be the nearest "Really Big City" to a guy who grew up on a farm in Kansas, and IIRC DC's "Kingdom Come" includes the Statue of Liberty or something very much like it in a Gotham skyline panel.
That was the logic that I followed, but DC has sort of said that Gotham and Metropolis are across a river or bay from each other, I believe, which would make them both New York. But your reasoning about Metropolis is exactly the line we followed, and New York has been nicknamed Gotham in the past . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:28 PM   #22
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
(Out of curiosity, which cities were Central/Keystone, Star, and Opal? I'm ASSuming Coast City was Los Angeles.)
That was what we figured, too, back in the days when southern California had an aircraft industry. I think we had Central be Kansas City and Keystone be St. Louis, and Star was Seattle. I don't recall that we had heard of Opal.

Ivy Town was Boston. And Midway City was Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:53 PM   #23
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That was what we figured, too, back in the days when southern California had an aircraft industry. I think we had Central be Kansas City and Keystone be St. Louis, and Star was Seattle. I don't recall that we had heard of Opal.

Ivy Town was Boston. And Midway City was Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Central and Keystone are supposed to be across the river from each other in the midwest, though, so my initial thought was Kansas City, MO, and Kansas City, KS. St. Louis and East St. Louis would also work, but Kansas City and St. Louis are effectively on other sides of the state from each other.

Then again, the DC map varies by decade. The Post-Crisis DCU had Metropolis in the midwest, but in the '00s it was back on the East Coast.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:25 PM   #24
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
(Out of curiosity, which cities were Central/Keystone, Star, and Opal? I'm ASSuming Coast City was Los Angeles.)
Opal City is in Maryland, and is sometimes known as Federal City, so in my "head canon" it's always been Washington DC. Star City is a tech center in Northern Cali, so I assigned it to San Francisco / the Bay Area in general. Not familiar enough with the others to have thought about it.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #25
Prince Charon

Quote:
Minor geekfest: There is a real-life Metropolis, Illinois, on the southern tip of the state (situated on the Ohio River across from Kentucky), which has a 15 ft tall painted Superman statue in its town square. (Despite this, Metropolis, IL, only has a population of around 6,000; hardly a "big" city.)
On the Earth Two of my Five Earths setting (see .sig), Metropolis is a rather larger city, partly due to (and resulting in) changes to the road and railroad networks, and partly due to luck.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote