Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #11
Rupert

Default Re: Nordlond Bestiary and Enemies Book: Now LIVE on Kickstarter

I understand that the (very) rough rule of thumb for kickstarters is that you get 1/3rd of the total in the first 48 hours, 1/3rd between then and the last 48 hours, and the final 1/3rd in the last 48 hours as people up their pledges and hit up their friends to try and hit stretch goals and from fence-sitters.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I understand that the (very) rough rule of thumb for kickstarters is that you get 1/3rd of the total in the first 48 hours, 1/3rd between then and the last 48 hours, and the final 1/3rd in the last 48 hours as people up their pledges and hit up their friends to try and hit stretch goals and from fence-sitters.
Well, we're not at 48 hours yet, but if we went off the current numbers, that would put it at roughly $66,000 in the end. So, hopefully that trend works out to be the case here, as that would put it above the minimum to have the full 240-page hardcover. I'm personally hoping it gets well above that, but we'll see where things go.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #13
SolemnGolem

The hardcopy book looked too nice to pass up. Finally I will have a PHB/DMG/MM Characters/Campaigns/Bestiary of GURPS!
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

I can't guarantee that every single monster in here will fit in the 128 pages of the initial book. But if you're curious as to what you'll be getting...read on.

So...what's REALLY in the book?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #15
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I can't guarantee that every single monster in here will fit in the 128 pages of the initial book. But if you're curious as to what you'll be getting...read on.

More added to the GURPSwiki's Nordlond Bestiary and Enemies Book listing. Minor note there was a hiccup in the alphabet listing which I corrected.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #16
Farmer

Quote:

Excellent!

Really hope we get the full 240, but at the very least the first stretch goal for undead!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #17
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Excellent!

Really hope we get the full 240, but at the very least the first stretch goal for undead!
Someone on the kickstarter made a useful comment about (as an example) the dolphin, and I think it's a point that I want to touch on here:

Quote:
Dolphin is probably a good example of the first to be left off in case of "too many monsters for 128-pages." But I very much believe mundane creatures are important for many kinds of play. Sure, not "all killing monsters and taking their stuff" types, but a lot of hex-crawls and more survivalist play are enabled by having both predators (to swipe at the party, and even more importantly, the pack animals) and prey (food that you don't have to carry with you) ready to go.

Even so, if we push to 240 pages (BiggerCake still predicts that, for what it's worth), there will be a reckoning for the creatures on the list. A lot of these guys wind up getting blown out into subtypes. Some of those are the various hawks and falcons as examples. They get "A Falcon is like a hawk, but has Acrobatics-13 and the Stoop trait." Likewise for horses, most of those are "A draft horse has ST in the 20-25 range and Lifting ST of up to +5" and won't take up extra pages.

Others, like hags and trolls, are different enough that not only do they get statblocks, they get custom art.

Dragons have a LOT going on, and such things wind up blowing up pretty fast.

So "has no adventuring value ever" will go away pretty fast no matter what. "Has value as part of a hex-crawl, as a threat to a traveling party, or as both a threat or boon to a village that the party gets involved in" is utility I want to provide.

Plus a whole lot of stuff to kill and fight.
The Nordlond setting in particular is quite appropriate for a more-gritty style of play, especially with Delvers to Grow providing quick and easy generation of characters as low as 62 points. 125-pointers proved very robust and fun to play in several "Meatgrinder" events, including one at the most recent FnordCon.

If porting monsters, creatures, and enemies from the Nordlondr Bestiary to other fantasy worlds - because fluff text and magical hoo-hah is easy to leave off if you want it - then mundane creatures and the need to worry about food and transport rapidly get pretty high on the care-about list...and I want to support those campaigns too.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #18
Varyon

Quote:
... both predators (...) and prey...
Or both at once - my first thoughts upon reading the bit about the Sverštönn Kónglax was that it sounded delicious, with lots of meat to go around. Of course, a big part of that is that grilled salmon is one of my favorite meals...
Old 11-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #19
Farmer

Quote:
[B]Someone on the kickstarter made a useful comment about (as an example) the dolphin, and I think it's a point that I want to touch on here:

The Nordlond setting in particular is quite appropriate for a more-gritty style of play, especially with Delvers to Grow providing quick and easy generation of characters as low as 62 points. 125-pointers proved very robust and fun to play in several "Meatgrinder" events, including one at the most recent FnordCon.
Agree with all that. It's "Bestiary", not "Monsters", so you want some breadth as well as depth in what's included.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #20
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Agree with all that. It's "Bestiary", not "Monsters", so you want some breadth as well as depth in what's included.
Well, even D&D's "Monster" Manual didn't limit itself to just monsters. It had Ape, Baboon, Badger, etc. It was a Bestiary in all but name.

I think something akin to Anon's Animal Album's meta-traits for creatures that are very similar would help keep the page count down as they could eliminate a lot of redundancy.

To use an off the cuff example from D&D:

Blue Dragon: replace Burning Attack xd with Toxic Attack xd (Respiratory Agent 1; Area Effect (2 yards)) + Corrosion Attack (x-1)d (Respiratory Agent 1; Area Effect (2 yards))
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, noršlond