Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Temporary Camp or shelter using Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah, as I wrote above the Wall part is easy. I suppose a reasonable GM would allow such a wall to block the wind and rain out, but not everyone would. Hence I usually opt for adding other things and making it a Force Field and not worrying about duration, just buy enough area and Affects Others.
Well, that sounds more like the bizarre Affects Others + Area Effect + Force Field construct from Powers, which I strongly feel is a mistake to apply to DR - Innate Attack with Wall makes much more sense (and I'd allow Wall +30% to be something other than a straight line - any shape at all should work, it's just that you have to set it when you build the ability and can't decide on the fly like with the +60% version); I mean, that's basically what a rigid Wall is.

Quote:
Than things like Sealed to make it fully waterproof.
Sealed makes it airtight; whether it needs that to be watertight would ultimately be up to the GM, but I'd probably allow it to count as such without anything else. Of course, it doesn't need to be perfectly watertight - most improvised shelters aren't, but they do a "good enough" job of keeping water out to let the inhabitants rest in relative comfort. Basically, if a lean-to will do, certainly a shelter constructed using Wall will as well.

If you're trying to make the "shelter" as good as sleeping indoors in a residential building in good repair, of course, you may well need supporting abilities. Your later suggestion of reducing the base price of Sealed to [1] to create Waterproof is one I can get behind, certainly (honestly, I'd probably be fine with a Perk to make any room or small building you stay in count as Waterproof while you're there).

Quote:
Its the temperature that seems to really be accessible.
Yeah, for some reason temperature is a serious sticking point with GURPS - Temperature Tolerance tends to be horrendously expensive to accomplish much with it, and Temperature Control is as well. I feel body temperature should be sufficiently retained to work for keeping things warm (plus if you're traveling through cold areas, you should have supplies - blankets, sleeping bags, even your winter coat in a pinch - that will help you stay warm); failing that, success on an Architecture or similar roll should let you design a building that essentially has something of a built-in chimney, allowing you to build a fire to keep warm without risking asphyxiation (related - a similar roll should let you design a not-waterproof building that keeps the living areas dry even with a torrential downpour; it would probably eventually start to grow mold or similar, thanks to the areas that do get wet, but the party would be long gone by then, and the temporary building likely destroyed). Another somewhat-humorous option would be to also have a similar Wall Innate Attack (possibly as an Alternate Ability, although that would be pushing it) that lets you create a permanent (until extinguished, by dumping water on it, covering it in dirt, or similar) fire. That's 6 hexes of fuel-less, smokeless flame that deal 1 point of burning damage to anything in contact with them, which should keep things toasty, even if the building isn't very good at retaining heat.

Cooling things down is harder. The GM might let you pull off something similar to the firewall above, using either non-incendiary burning damage (used for some magic/superscience cold attacks) or FP damage with the Freezing Hazard, but that's a bit of a stretch. There might be some tricks with airflow that would let a skilled builder make a building that stayed cool passively, but I kind of doubt it (the only cooling option mentioned in LTC3 is an expensive method of keeping a building water-cooled, which isn't something to rely on here).
Old 11-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Another somewhat-humorous option would be to also have a similar Wall Innate Attack (possibly as an Alternate Ability, although that would be pushing it) that lets you create a permanent (until extinguished, by dumping water on it, covering it in dirt, or similar) fire.
Cooling things down is harder. The GM might let you pull off something similar to the firewall above, using either non-incendiary burning damage (used for some magic/superscience cold attacks) or FP damage with the Freezing Hazard, but that's a bit of a stretch. There might be some tricks with airflow that would let a skilled builder make a building that stayed cool passively, but I kind of doubt it (the only cooling option mentioned in LTC3 is an expensive method of keeping a building water-cooled, which isn't something to rely on here).
A burning attack wall is actually a very creative idea! I think I have a few new ideas I can use from this thread. Thank you everyone.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:22 PM   #13
Prince Charon

Quote:
It seems pretty expensive to build a temporary shelter using powers.
Any ideas here?
The Accessory perk, treated as a magical, psionic, or otherwise Powered ability, could be used to generate a shelter that is equivalent to the sort of tents that are easily available for purchase in the setting (so, probably provides little or no DR, and takes about as long to 'put up' and 'take down,' though perhaps you can give the 'take down' command and then walk away).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #14
Varyon

Some time ago, I made a thread to discuss some of the particulars of Walls - and thanks to this thread, I decided to revisit it. The relevant bits for here would be Roofs (and some of the related bits about Orientation and Bridges), and Visibility - for the latter, specifically that the GM might opt for a Wall that has linked Obscure (Infravision - or Vision, with Extended) to be treated as an insulator for heat.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:25 AM   #15
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
A burning attack wall is actually a very creative idea! I think I have a few new ideas I can use from this thread. Thank you everyone.
Just remember that a burning wall is permeable, so you might be able to use it for heat or cooling based on the special effect, but it won't keep things out that are not obliterated by the damage.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #16
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Just remember that a burning wall is permeable, so you might be able to use it for heat or cooling based on the special effect, but it won't keep things out that are not obliterated by the damage.
While I'm not sure it would be conducive to rest, a "house" made out of fire would be pretty epic. It would probably need to be more than 1 point of damage per hex to survive serious rainfall, however (EDIT: Although an area where making a house out of fire would be useful, you wouldn't see much rainfall, and snow would probably fall slowly enough to get by with 1 point of damage... unless it's a blizzard). My idea was more for a wall of fire inside a (non-flammable!) shelter created by other means, to help stay warm.

Last edited by Varyon; 11-30-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
the_matrix_walker

I do kind of like the notion of Accessory:tent that somehow balloons out from a character and envelops them. it's an entertaining visual.

Or as vehicles can be allies, a summonable Winnebago is funny too.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:21 PM   #18
lugaid

Quote:
But a wall that does burning damage may not be permeable, for example a wall of red-hot iron.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:58 PM   #19
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
But a wall that does burning damage may not be permeable, for example a wall of red-hot iron.
The Wall enhancement specifies that you must define your wall as Permeable or Rigid, and to be Rigid, they must do crushing, cutting, impaling, or piercing damage.

A red hot iron wall could be a crushing wall linked to a burning wall...
Old 12-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #20
dcarson

Quote:

Or as vehicles can be allies, a summonable Winnebago is funny too.
A companion animal that is a werewinnebago.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote