Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
larsdangly

Default Transparent hex overlay for maps?

I find that a great way to map for TFT is to make a 'normal' sort of map and then drop a wire frame hex map with see-through hex interiors over top of it. I used to have such a thing that I could plop onto digital image files, but I seem to have lost it and am too old/stupid to use the internet to find another. Does anyone have something like this to share?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Transparent hex overlay for maps?

Yes.

I've used physical transparent hex map overlays since about 1986. I tend to draw combat maps on plain paper, then overlay with a transparent hex sheet. It's great because it is so easy to draw maps on plain paper, and then you can keep them and re-use them in case the action goes back there again.

You can just take a blank hex map to a well-equipped copy store and they should have transparencies you can copy them onto.

Doing the same thing digitally is also rather easy, though the details depend on the software you use. I tend to use Photoshop, where you can easily add a layer that is the hex grid and set how you want to blend it with the map.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Most laser printers should be able to print onto transparency sheets.

Inkjet is a little more problematic because most inkjets are water-based, which obviously doesn't work well when sprayed on a sheet of plastic. But they do make transparency film specially for use with inkjet printers; see your local office supply store.

Given a printer and transparency, then all you have to do is print a hex grid, perhaps getting a PDF with your favorite sizes, colors, etc from Incompetech. (Now, if we can just talk them into heavier-weight megahex outlines...)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Skarg

I photocopied blank GURPS 1" hex combat maps onto transparencies.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
larsdangly

Let me clarify: what I mean is a digital object, suitable for pasting into a graphics program like Illustrator or Powerpoint or whatever, consisting of a hexagonal grid of lines with 'see through' cells.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Skarg

Ok. I don't use those - if I make you a transparent PNG, will that work? Any particular resolution?
Old 10-27-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
mook

Hiya, larsdangly -- it's been a while, but I believe I've used this method in the past to good effect, adding a transparent hex layer for maps.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 AM   #8
larsdangly

Thanks; I'll see if I can figure it out.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
oldwolf

Here is what I do:

First, I no longer use a desk top comp. A tablet meets all my needs. Currently I am using an ipad pro.

Second, for making maps or any drawing I am using an app called Procreate. Very nice software, works with the apple pencil, supports many levels of layering, simple to learn. Has a nice, free, users manual pdf available. And, most important, it is a one time purchase not a subscription rip off as so many draw and paint apps are. The bottom line though is to have drawing software that supports layers.

Third, search for transparent hex grid on line. I happen to use Bing as my search engine because I dont like google. Find one that is free and copy or save the image, which ever works best with your software. I used copy. Paste the image into your top layer, adjust to fill the layer. Voila! The grid will overlay anything you draw in a layer below it.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
Anaraxes

The program mkhexgrid lets you set options to generate a custom grid, and outputs PNG, PS, or SVG files that you could use in other programs.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote