Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
Humabout

Default Re: Pyramid #3/85: Cutting Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Astronauts are a little more likely to have Acrobatics than average people there are no couch potatoes among them and even among the ranks of the physically fit they are above that average too.

I know of one Astronaut who definitely did have Acrobatics though I'm blanking on the name. He was on one of the Skylab crews and had been a competitive gymnast in college. A h heck let's Google for him.

Ah, Alan Bean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1sr6aVzW9M

I can't promise that link is good. My PC and Youtube are feuding with each other for some inexplicable reason and I can't watch it. However the search terms of Astronaut Gymnastics Skylab produces many links on Google.
So you suggest, then, that perhaps the sample size from my statement is too broad. I'll accept that. Modern astronauts are no more likely to have Astrobatics than any random PhD holder in reasonable health is to have Acrobatics. My point remains that it still shouldnt be the norm.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
So you suggest, then, that perhaps the sample size from my statement is too broad. I'll accept that. Modern astronauts are no more likely to have Astrobatics than any random PhD holder in reasonable health is to have Acrobatics. My point remains that it still shouldnt be the norm.
Not "random PhD in reasonable health" The filter is far tighter than that. The supply of people who want to be astronauts far exceeds the available positions. NASA can afford to be very picky indeed.

You might be starting at "holder of advanced degree in _perfect_ health with special training" and then after you get them into space move onto "has never served in a spacebourne facility where there was room for zero G exercise" and I suspect that your sample size has gotten uselessly small by then..
Old 11-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Not "random PhD in reasonable health" The filter is far tighter than that. The supply of people who want to be astronauts far exceeds the available positions. NASA can afford to be very picky indeed.

You might be starting at "holder of advanced degree in _perfect_ health with special training" and then after you get them into space move onto "has never served in a spacebourne facility where there was room for zero G exercise" and I suspect that your sample size has gotten uselessly small by then..
And again I suggest that Astrobatics isn't the norm. Still not seeing why I should abandon that thought. It sounds like you think NASA only accepts gymnasts to become astronauts.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 11-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #14
Celti

I'd like to point out that I never said it was the default — I said that they would probably have a default, as in the ability to roll against it at DX-6, or maybe a Dabbler perk that includes it. And given the benefits that Astrobatics provides in the article, I feel quite firmly that that is the case.

I'm not saying there's anyone trained in it — just that there exist people that can attempt it.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:10 AM   #15
Celti

So Cutting-Edge Armour design states in the description for Basic Ceramic that you could use those stats for transparent quartz — what would you use for transparent corundum? Improved Ceramic? I'm looking for more effective transparent faceplates than the Laminated Polycarbonate.

Also, the table lacks the 'T' note for Basic Ceramic — is that a deliberate omission?
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I'd like to point out that I never said it was the default — I said that they would probably have a default, as in the ability to roll against it at DX-6
But that's per RAW even before the article, leading me to think you meant something more. Otherwise, why mention it? Sorry if there was confusion!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
But that's per RAW even before the article, leading me to think you meant something more. Otherwise, why mention it? Sorry if there was confusion!
It's a point that's often ignored, but you don't get a skill default if you're from a society where the skill doesn't exist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B173
Who Gets a Default?
Only individuals from a society
where a skill is known may attempt a
default roll against that skill. For
instance, the default for Scuba skill
assumes you are from a world where
scuba gear exists and where most
people would have some idea – if only
from TV – of how to use it. A
medieval knight transported to the
21st century would not get a default
roll to use scuba gear the first time he
saw it!
Since Free Fall is a prerequisite for Astrobatics, and you need to spend a reasonable amount of time in microgravity to learn Free Fall (training in aircraft can get you to default Free Fall, but I doubt it's enough to learn the skill), people who have Free Fall can have a default in Astrobatics, and if they know Acrobatics at DX-1 or better, their default from that is better than their default from DX. Under GURPS: this isn't so cut and dried in real life.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #18
doctorevilbrain

The Free Fall preview doesn't tell me much. Could someone tell me more what the article's about, before I decide to buy it?
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
The Free Fall preview doesn't tell me much. Could someone tell me more what the article's about, before I decide to buy it?
It collects and consolidates all the rules about micro-gravity from different 4e books, and adds details to fill in the gaps.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #20
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It collects and consolidates all the rules about micro-gravity from different 4e books, and adds details to fill in the gaps.
This, plus updating some rules from 3e, too. It covers everything from health effects of living in free fall to working in free fall to fighting in free fall. It is specifically limited to personal scale (to borrow a term from Star Wars 1e). That is, it doesn't concern itself with vehicles; check out the Spaceships series for a rough overview of that or Basic Set for the detailed version.

So if you are gaming in a microgravity or free fall environment or planning an adventure in such an environment, you'll want this to handle questions like, "What happens when I Judo Throw someone in space?" or "Someone tied me up in my jumpsuit in the middle of the cargo hold. I can't reach anything. How do I escape and how long does it take?" or even, "Does firing my 9mm on the ISS shoot me off backwards or send me tumbling?" If you intend to have any EVA spacewalks, you probably don't NEED this, but it could add a level of drama with control rolls if a mishap occurs.

Oh, and there are two free fall-related martial arts styles in it, too.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Tags
cutting-edge armor design, pyramid #3/85, pyramid 3/85