Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #521
Kalzazz

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

It is cool, but I wish you had the crafting penalty chart on there also from RPM pg 16. That is one I am always having to look up

Maybe it would fit under the greater effects table?

edit - AH! There it is at the bottom, I''m blind, awesome!
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:12 AM   #522
DeathDaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
I made a cheat sheet with all the important tables for RPM which can fit on one page when printed. Thought it might be appreciated here.
I did not know how much I missed this, absolutely wicked!
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #523
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosts.N.Stuff View Post
I'm going for firestorm classic sort of spell, where fireballs are falling from the sky.
Bombardment and Explosive don't really work together in GURPS, simply because doing so would be a pain. The way it would need to be resolved is as follows. Rather than rolling for each target, you'd need to roll for each hex, at +4*. Once you've determined which hexes were hit, you'd need to roll damage for each one (or use one damage result for all of them, or just go with an average, to save time). Now for each target in or around the targeted area, count the hexes between it and the nearest struck hex to determine how much - if any - damage the target suffers from that explosion. If the target takes damage, continue to the next nearest, and so forth until no explosions will damage the target, then move on to the next target. Note also that each target can try to Dive for Cover/Distance; you'll need to resolve that before determining damage. If you've got a program that can handle all of this for you it would be doable, but otherwise you're probably looking at 20-40 minutes just to resolve a single attack.

Rapid Fire and Explosive technically aren't exclusive to each other, but you'd need to resolve things a similar way there. Do note that, as with lightning from the sky and the like, you need to pay for Range to have the attack start somewhere other than you. You'll probably want to add Range to your current ritual as well - as it stands you can only target an area directly adjacent to you (or with you in it), and you have no protection if an explosion goes off in front of your face (although you can add that in for 1 energy).

*Success by 4+, on an occupied hex would mean a direct hit on the target, for maximum damage. That's if the target is SM+0 - add SM to MoS to determine if you hit the target or just the hex (so MoS 3 becomes MoS 4, and a hit, against SM+1, but you'd need at least MoS 5 to hit an SM-1 target).

Last edited by Varyon; 09-06-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #524
Incard

Pack it up!
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: none.
Greater Effects: 1(x3).

This spell partially destroys two qualities of the subject: its size and its mass. The spell shrinks the objects within the area of effect down to a tiny size with negligible weight. This ritual is often cast as a charm on a large duffle bag or suitcase. To use the charm, simply store whatever you like in the bag and zip it closed. Everything but the zipper tab shrinks down to the size of a small keychain ornament. The bag and its contents return to their normal size at the end of the duration or when the original caster takes a moment to end the spell. If cast in reverse, the contents of the bag are shrunken immediately and restored to their normal size and mass when the charm attached to the zipper is broken. Monster Hunters and other heroes may find this a handy way to hide their illegal weapons before the cops show up on the scene.

Typical Casting:
Greater Destroy Matter (5) + Area of Effect 3 yards (2) Subject Weight 300 lbs (3) + Duration 1 hr (3). 39 energy (13x3) , 54 if cast as a charm.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #525
Incard

Felix Felicis Charm
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic, Lesser Restore Chance, Lesser Control Chance, Lesser Create Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, duration
Greater Effects: 0(x1).
This charm grants the subject Ridiculous Luck, Serendipity, Super Luck, and Destiny.
The subject will be very lucky for the duration of the effects, to be sure!
Typical Casting:
Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Restore Chance x2 (8) + Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Create Chance (6)
+ Duration 1 day (7) + Altered Traits: Ridiculous Luck, Serendipity, Super Luck, Destiny (190). 221 energy (221 x 1).

Starburst
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage (with modifiers).
Greater Effects: 1(x3).
This spell summons dozens and dozens of tiny, burning pinpoints of deadly magical energy that explode towards the caster's target at his mental direction.
Typical Casting:
Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage External Burning, 15d (12) Armor Divisor 10(+200%: 40), Rapid Fire RoF1x200 (+300%: 60), Guided (+50%:10) 366 energy (122x3).
Old 10-12-2016, 05:24 AM   #526
ajardoor

Witch Hammer
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Meta-Magic.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This spell is cast upon a melee weapon. For the duration of the spell, the effected weapon will, as a follow-up on a successful attack, try to bypass and ignore any magical protection (DR granted by rituals, blocking spells, conditional rituals triggered by successful attacks, etc.) the target has - the protective spells resist with Path skill and this ritual's Meta-Magic modifier must be at least equal to the full energy of the protective magic targeted. If the target loses the quick contest, the attack is not effected by magic, mundane DR still applies and the attack itself counts as meta-magical. A bullet charm variant of this ritual does not need duration, but it is only good for one shot per charm.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Magic (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Meta-Magic (30). 36 energy (36x1).
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #527
AnkhLord

I am just getting int RPM.

Bridge Beaker Charm
Spell Effects: None.
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight, Lots of Stone.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

Charm (traditionally a Toy Bridge). Once crushed manifest a Gaint Boulder 50 yards above the target area. Boulder only lasts a few minutes. Normally the effect is achieved a few seconds after impact.

This Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Lesser Create Magic (6) + Subject Weight, 50 tons (8) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 50 yds (8). 29 energy (29×1).

I see a lot of high-cost Rituals. I am a fan of low cost, high effect Rituals. The other condition was 1d+5 seconds AFTER broken the spell happens.

Last edited by AnkhLord; 01-30-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Extra info.
AnkhLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #528
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incard View Post
Pack it up!
I like it, but I suspect it might need two Greater Destroy Matter effects - one for size, and one for weight. That would boost price to 65, or 90 if cast as a Charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkhLord View Post
Bridge Beaker Charm
Clever, but I'm not certain getting an effect in such a roundabout fashion is actually kosher in RPM. It's like using Lesser Create Matter to make a large quantity of explosive, getting incredible damage on the cheap. In this case, a 10-ton homogenous boulder (roughly SM+2 - it's a 2-yard diameter sphere) is going to have somewhere around 217 HP, and with a 50 yard fall is moving at 33 yards per second, for a whopping 72d cr. Even if you could do that much damage with Lesser Destroy Matter (and we ignored Subject Weight), that would still be a 298 energy Charm. I don't think the 3 second delay between casting/breaking the Charm and the boulder landing is worth that much of a discount!
(EDIT: Come to think of it, the falling boulder would be resisted by DR, so this is external rather than internal damage - reducing the spell to 106 energy. Still a heck of a discount, as well as getting to bypass the the need to go Greater for such damage).

As an aside, creating a Charm (or any Conditional Ritual) uses Lesser Control Magic, not Lesser Create Magic. Adding a 1d+3 second delay (or any delay that's either fixed or set by a dice roll) would be a +0% Enhancement (Fixed Delay) on Damage (for non-damaging rituals, I'd allow it on whatever aspect it applies to). As there's a minimum +1 energy for adding any Enhancements, that's +1 energy to the ritual. You may not need it, of course - put this on a throwable ammunition charm and you can activate it by simply chucking it at your target.

EDIT2: Because I failed my Self Control roll against Compulsive Rules Tinkering, but this is more appropriate in a new thread, here's a thread for how such a ritual might be built.

Last edited by Varyon; 01-31-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #529
AnkhLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incard View Post
Pack it up!
The bag and its contents return to their normal size at the end of the duration or when the original caster takes a moment to end the spell.
Once cast the Caster has no ability to end a ritual without a Control magic.
Would you need to cast a Second Lesser Control Magic followed by a Greater Destroy magic?
AnkhLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #530
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkhLord View Post
I am just getting int RPM.

Bridge Beaker Charm
Spell Effects: None.
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight, Lots of Stone.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

Charm (traditionally a Toy Bridge). Once crushed manifest a Gaint Boulder 50 yards above the target area. Boulder only lasts a few minutes. Normally the effect is achieved a few seconds after impact.

This Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Lesser Create Magic (6) + Subject Weight, 50 tons (8) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 50 yds (8). 29 energy (29×1).

I see a lot of high-cost Rituals. I am a fan of low cost, high effect Rituals. The other condition was 1d+5 seconds AFTER broken the spell happens.
This guy would not work- with RPM you always pay for effect, not descriptor. So you would need enough external damage to destroy the bridge thrown on there. External damage is pretty cheap though- so it may still be an inexpensive ritual (at least where the stock RPM differentiation of lesser/greater is used rather than the monster hunters version).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology