Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2019, 12:54 AM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Technological flaming sword...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I agree, it makes very little sense as a practical weapon. But I could I imagine a certain sort of person constructing one.
If your goal is showy and/or youtube videos, I'd probably go with a coating on a cheap sword (as none of these options are going to be terribly good for a sword). Not sure what you'd need to make a coating that both sticks and burns properly, something like a sparkler mix would probably work but might look silly.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #12
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Hot swords are easier to make, but they are equally impractical due to blackboard radiation issues. A 500 Celsius sword would probably cause burning damage to its wielder just by proximity.
That's barely red-hot, and won't burn you unless you touch it or have your skin very near it for some time. Machinegun barrels get this hot, and they only burn you if you accidentally touch them (which happens more than the users would like). you could have a sword quite a bit hotter than that and, assuming the handle wasn't that hot, if you wore gloves you'd be okay - until you fumbled the thing, anyway. The problem is that materials that have good properties for sword blades that retain them when that hot (and through repeated heating and cooling cycles) are going to be very hard to find.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
A flaming sword (a blade with flames burning around it) is common in fantasy settings using magic. But suppose someone with a lot of brains, access to plenty of money and gear, and a flair for the (melo)dramatic decided he wanted to make a flaming sword in reality. How might he go about such a project? (...)
In terms of GURPS, I would deem this as a force sword:

My biggest concern around this is the energy source, it would be nice knowing about the TL you refer to, and how close to reality you expect this to be.

If I think in terms of our TL, it could be either of these:

A blade with a blowtorch attachment or,
A blade with an plasma-arc attachment.

Materials capable of resisting the heat of these two "plug-ins" exist; under this approach, the design would be similar to "no more heroes' beam katana".

A bag-pack with a gas-tank could serve as the fuel/energy source for the blowtorch. The plasma-arc could be harder to achieve... maybe you'd need to have your blade connected to electricity.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
Anthony

So, looking up "flaming sword" on YouTube, apparently the favored solution is a hollow blade fed by gas (two examples I saw involved propane gas and cigarette lighters, which is probably butane) (reminder to self: if something sounds stupid but cool, always check YouTube).
Old 10-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #15
lwcamp

You could try to hold the blade at a high electric potential, in order to get a corona discharge around the tip. Not exactly "flaming," but maybe "buzzing glowing halo" is good enough.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
Agemegos

I suppose that if you used a thermic lance in mle it would be more of a flaming spear than a flaming sword.
Agemegos is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
flaming sword