Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #121
amougeot

Default Re: Member House Rules

I have 3 sets of munchkin, with all their expansions: Munchkin Cthulhu, Munchkin Booty and Munchkin Bites. I also have Need for Steed, with doors and treasures spread evenly throughout all 3 sets.

I put all 3 decks of door and treasure cards on the table, so players have 3 decks of doors and 3 decks of treasures to choose from.

Rules:
1) When you Open The Door, you may choose from any door pile
2) When you Loot The Room, you must draw from the pile that you Opened The Door
3a) If you Open The Door and meet a monster, the treasures drawn for defeating the monster come from the corresponding treasure deck (if you kill a monster from Munchkin Booty, you get Munchkin Booty treasures. If monsters or treasures are added to the fight, all their treasures are drawn as Munchkin Booty treasures)
3b) If you Look For Trouble and fight a monster, you can draw treasures from any treasure pile
4) Each set has their own discard pile for doors and treasures. If a card says 'Go through the discard pile and do x', the player being affected gets to choose which discard pile they use. They can only use one discard pile, so if they go through a whole Munchkin Cthulhu door discard pile to find a class, and they find none, they cannot start looking through the Bites discard pile.

I'm sure there are other rules I'm forgetting.

The thing I like most about this gameplay is that players get to choose which version of the game they want to play.

If someone feels like being a jerk, they can play off of the Cthulhu deck and get cards like O Rlyeh, Ia Rlyeh and Cthnithonians, and play Madnesses on people. This also means they can try to find a way of discarding Cultist cards, then making other people 'Become a Cultist'. Evil, I know.

If players want ships and sharks, they can play off of the Booty deck.
If players want minions and other fun things, they can play from the Bites deck.
All 3 decks have a little bit of Need for Steed to even things out.
amougeot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #122
[chemical.kirby]

I've thought of a really good rule for the knee pads of allure (although im sure other people have thought about it,heh)

you can only get a elf to help you
that way,you can't use it on anyone all the time,and even if you get help,at least they gain a level!
[chemical.kirby] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #123
Munchkin Mafia

Me and my group play pretty strictly to the rules, but we do have one house rule that doesnt actually effect card play, we almost always play epic unless were constricted for time for some reason, and whenever someone reaches level 10, they have to scream epic at the top of thier lungs.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #124
Mythius

I usually play "hard core" games with one of my best friends... usually because he is the only one who has the time and the know-how to stand up to my rule abuse. So we play if you did it, it happened... no take backs.

We also play that the Dungeon of Manga Wrangling is really the Dungeon of x2... where all monster/enhancers are doubled. This does not count for Ranger's steeds... but does count for fighting steeds. There's no extra levels or treasure... just hard-core munchkin butt-kicking. The main reason for this is that we're both men, and in all the time we've played with the Dungeon Cards we've only seen the Manga Wrangling effective once.

We also play that the looser of the previous game goes first on the next game if it's the same day.

Also... no kneepads. Only girls where kneepads! Hey, I said it was hard-core.

And thanks everyone for a lot of good/not-so-good ideas... I'll have to bring some of them up as my own in future games. He he he...
Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #125
Ash Plissken

I think the way I'm going to play the Kneepads is thus:

After every combat in which you use the Kneepads to force someone to help you, roll a 6-sided die.
On 1-2, your helper takes possession of the Kneepads.
On 3-4, discard the Kneepads.
On 5-6, you keep the Kneepads.

Also, as long as there is at least one other Munchkin whose effective level is higher than the bonus of any of your other Items, the Kneepads count as "the Item that gives you the biggest bonus".
Ash Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #126
WeXaztor

i dont get why everyone is bashing on kneepads, i like them, it makes the game harder to win and easier for the one to have it to mess with everyone else wich in my opinion is great.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #127
Blu

We were thinking of trying to find someway to help "Wandering Monster". It seems we always end up with monsters in our hands and no "wandering" or the "wandering" card and no monsters. I was thinking of being able to play "wandering" and adding in either the last discarded monster or find the first one in the door deck (without losing the cards above it, just reshuffle them in).

Also, I was thinking of somehow adding in the hearts from Quest, as well as adding a die roll to each Munchkin and monster in combat to try to help.

I just read the whole thread. I like the additions to epic, whether it's doubling the monster or adding a dice roll to it by level. The few times we played epic the epic munchkins never lost a combat.

We don't have Kneepads so I guess those don't matter....lol.....
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #128
Clementx

We have pretty much codified our modified rule set for our group. The biggest change is redoing epic abilities, which we felt were too powerful and too random in scope or theme.

Splat Changes
A Dwarf can carry an additional card in his hand whenever a card would let him carry an extra Big item.
A Cleric can only Resurrect one card per drawing opportunity.
A Thief who fails a Theft attempt at lvl1 is killed instead.
A Wizard must discard at least three cards from their hand to Charm a monster.

Epic Feats
Human - Favored Class - Whenever a class card is discarded, you can discard a card from your hand to claim and immediately become it. You can claim Super Munchkin if you immediately play enough class cards for it. If multiple humans attempt to snag the same class, each rolls the die. The highest gets the card and the rest keep their discards.
Dwarf - Endurance - You can hold another extra card in your hand.
Elf - Keen Senses - When you help another player win a combat, draw a face-down Treasure card for yourself.
Gnome - Phantasm - You can Wander an Illusion into a fight by discarding a card from your hand.
Halfling - Stealthy - Your penalty to running away becomes a +1 bonus.
Orc - Cleave - When you kill a monster by 5 or more by yourself, you get an extra Treasure card.

Bard - Dominate - You can attempt to Enthrall by discarding two cards.
Cleric - Animate Dead - You can choose to treat any monster you Resurrect as Undead.
Thief - Feint - You gain a +1 bonus to your Backstab penalty and Theft rolls.
Warrior - Power Attack - Your Berserk gives a +2 bonus per discard.
Wizard - Quicken - You can Charm by discarding just three cards from your hand.

Last edited by Clementx; 12-21-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Clementx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #129
dajestar

A house rule was made last night!!

Wishing rings scare of the ghoul fiends...
dajestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #130
Bakemono

We have several minor rules for blended games:

Hopped up on Lotus gives +15 to the Buckaroo, Hopalong Cavity, and the Jackalope
Guinness and Stout and the Tequila Mockingbird double their combat level when joining or joined by the Bar Ghast
The Swiss Army Knife may also be counted as a sword, bow, or cape
Gun Fu makes all gun cards usable
Bloody Mary gives +6 if used to aid the Space Vampire or Hopping Vampire
The Yarmulke of Religious Obfuscation is not usable by Clerics
A Munchkin with Bibliophobia cannot fight the Thesaurus and must flee.
Curse! Flashlight Goes Out! also causes the Light That Evil Doers Fear, the 10-Cell Flashlight, and the Knight Light to be discarded.
Bug Spray is not usable by Bugs.
The Armadillo will not fight anyone with the Raised By Armadillos Origin.
Batrachian can be used to make a monster count as a bat.
Wasabi Mouthwash counts as a +0 fire/flame attack if used during a combat.

We also have a system of "close" classes that are allowed to use each other's items. Monsters from other sets also react to these classes as if they were their mirror class
For example, Technos can use Gadgeteer only items and automatically defeat the Janibot.
Bakemono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice