Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#10): Amphibious; Aquatic; Semi-Aquatic

Last Week: Ambidexterity
Next Week: Animal Empathy; Empathy; Empath Talent; Plant Empathy; Spirit Empathy

This week we look at Amphibious, a 10-point Advantage found on p.B40. In general terms, this represents having a form adept at operating underwater without any drawbacks on land. You get to ignore the penalties for working underwater with the added bonus of allowing you to swim at your full Basic Move.

Interestingly enough, there are actually two related Disadvantages, though both can be zero-point traits instead of actually giving points back. Listed under No Legs, you can be Aquatic and have all the benefits of Amphibious for no points, however you'll lack a Move score on land (a pretty serious problem in many settings). If your "in water" mobility depends on extremities you can't armor or you can't dive it, the value drops to -5 points and if both apply, it is worth -10. The other related option is Semi-Aquatic: you can move on land, however the usual Move relationship is inverted; in the water you have your full move and on land your Basic Move is 20% of that. Unlike Aquatic, you suffer the standard Skill penalties for being in the Water, so it still is a 0 point feature.

For amazing aquatic maneuvering you'll still need Aquabatics (p.B174), and in fact if you don't have the Swimming Skill at all you need Amphibious or one of the Disadvantages. Similarly Amphibious is a prerequisite for Enhanced Move (Water) (p.B52). Recommended Advantages will vary depending on exactly what one intends to do underwater. Doesn't Breathe (p.B49) in some form is pretty much necessary for doing anything underwater at length without the need of external aids. Pressure Support (p.B77-78) helps avoid hazards like the Bends (and flat out being crushed for extreme depths).

While less problematic than needing magic, technology etc. for air and pressure support, if a character is supposed to operate at extreme depths, Temperature Tolerance and sense based Advantages are in order, be it simply a few levels of Night Vision or something a little more exotic like Sonar (p.B81). At the same time, someone lacking any of these traits but still needing to regularly operate underwater (albeit it not at extreme depths) will still benefit from their improved underwater capacity; when your oxygen supply is based on simply holding your breath, it is good to be able to move faster and work without penalty underwater.

Things are a bit constrained when we stick with the mundane, especially real world examples (and not hypothetical future tech). Many animals and machines have functionality on par with either Amphibious, Aquatic or Semi-Aquatic. Otherwise, Amphibious is appropriate for quite a few Powers, though some are more obvious than others; perhaps owing to its usefulness in the real world, as a species we've had since pre-history to not only consider how nice it would be if we could function more freely underwater, but also the reasons why it would work.

So... how has Amphibious, Aquatic and/or Semi-Aquatic served your or other characters in campaigns or settings with which you are familiar? Did it seem like a steal, a waste, or spot on? Any interesting Modifiers or complimentary Advantages?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 11-03-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Amphibious, Aquatic and Semi-Aquatic

I have played a number of water types and designed some for a fantasy game, as well as Supers. Also had some players in various settings go for it.
However the utility and fun is based on how often it comes up and it can be like the Hacker or Inventer/Researcher issues when only part of the party can do it.

For my current main fantasy world "Chalice World" I built 3 underwater races to better allow adventuring parties.
Merfolk have Amphibious with Switchable and can magically make thier tails turn into legs. Many have magery, though its not a racial trait so one can play a warrior type.
Dolphins are mostly warrior types who use slams and have superior mobility and senses (Sonar, Peripheral Vision) so play the Ranger, Scout, Warrior rolle mostly but are limited to water without magical aid.
Chelone are giant sea turtles with semi-amphibious and are strong with a good bite and armor but are mostly Shamans.
Octopus folk and Sharkmen were originally enemy races but I may change that.
Also been thinking of adding a ray like species. Ambush and sneak types with decent mobility. Use Chameleon for Vision and Silence for Sonar.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

I still think it's odd that 0 point feature aquatic creatures have 0 land move, but we 0 point feature land walkers still have useful water move.
That's unfair.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I still think it's odd that 0 point feature aquatic creatures have 0 land move, but we 0 point feature land walkers still have useful water move.
That's unfair.
This is kind of a point, although remember that increasing Water Move by 1 is only 1 points/1 yd. So, in reverse, that would essentially make No Legs (Aquatic) a quirk. Not much gained, but there it is.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
This is kind of a point, although remember that increasing Water Move by 1 is only 1 points/1 yd. So, in reverse, that would essentially make No Legs (Aquatic) a quirk. Not much gained, but there it is.
Move slowly 1 or die 0 is a very big difference.
At least a quirk would go a long way toward acknowledging the issue.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Otaku

Quote:
That's unfair.
I think it has to do with skill use penalties as well... but sadly I cannot seem to find these penalties!

I've got physical copies of the Basic Set, and both before writing the original post (half of it done the night before, the other done this morning) and again now, I cannot seem to find these rules. Being Semi-Aquatic inverses the movement rates for movement above and below the surface of the water with land based movement, but you suffer the usual penalties to skills usage in the water... and apparently this is considered "even". Being fully Aquatic without any additional restrictions (fins, oars, sales, etc. that cannot be armored or inability to dive) may mean no land move at all (and full move in the water), but apparently you have no skill penalty on land or in the water, which is why that is supposed to even out.

If someone would like to help me out by telling me where to look for rules about doing anything in/underwater than actually Swimming (including "lifesaving") or Aerobatics and rules about, I'd appreciate it. I mean, what I just listed I can find; I can't find things like penalties for underwater combat (or any other non aquatic-use specific skill).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 09-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Otaku

Quote:
Move slowly 1 or die 0 is a very big difference.
At least a quirk would go a long way toward acknowledging the issue.
Additionally, you present a false choice; Aquatic has "Move 0 on land". The reason this is death for many real world lifeforms with Aquatic is that they also have the zero point version of Gills and are thus incapable of breathing while on land and however you represent the need to stay thoroughly hydrated. These are not built into Aquatic, however; if your fish just has Aquatic, it may not have a significant Move* but it won't suffocate or dehydrate unless conditions are such that a normal human with similar movement restrictions would as well.

*I am assuming that "Move 0" in GURPS doesn't have to be taken as literally being incapable of even flopping around, rolling, or dragging one's self with manipulators. It means No Legs, which includes no manipulators strong and coordinated enough to function as legs without special training (with training or sufficient natural coordination a normal human can "walk" on his or her hands) or a sturdy enough tail to achieve significant movement on land (which would be more like Semi-Aquatic).
Old 09-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I think it has to do with skill use penalties as well... but sadly I cannot seem to find these penalties!

I've got physical copies of the Basic Set, and both before writing the original post (half of it done the night before, the other done this morning) and again now, I cannot seem to find these rules. Being Semi-Aquatic inverses the movement rates for movement above and below the surface of the water with land based movement, but you suffer the usual penalties to skills usage in the water... and apparently this is considered "even". Being fully Aquatic without any additional restrictions (fins, oars, sales, etc. that cannot be armored or inability to dive) may mean no land move at all (and full move in the water), but apparently you have no skill penalty on land or in the water, which is why that is supposed to even out.

If someone would like to help me out by telling me where to look for rules about doing anything in/underwater than actually Swimming (including "lifesaving") or Aerobatics and rules about, I'd appreciate it. I mean, what I just listed I can find; I can't find things like penalties for underwater combat (or any other non aquatic-use specific skill).
Pyramid #3/26 has, I think, the closest thing to complete underwater action rules you'll find.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Pyramid #3/26 has, I think, the closest thing to complete underwater action rules you'll find.
Good to know, but does that mean they are only mentioned/implied throughout the Basic Set but not actually listed?
Old 09-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Refplace

Besides that Pyramid issue there are modifers scattered around the core books.
Powers and Martial Arts both address a few specific instances for skills and abilities.
Also the advantage Terrain Adaptation can be used to ignore environmental penalties. Kind of hidden and I used to see it for movement penalties only but its used for water penalties as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, amphibious, aotw, aquatic, basic, week