Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #41
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Arm ST/Lifting ST/Striking St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I've usually found modern combat to be a fairly close range affair in games I run far more so than fantasy,
That seems odd. Because in fantasy games shooters have abilities to hit at longer ranges? What about invisibility, monsters with claw attacks, heroes with melee weapons?
Quote:
usually involving full automatic fire at less than 10 paces.
While the range is more or less right, fully automatic fire isn't. In the real world supporting fires are usually farther away, and you assault with semi-automatic rifles. I was trained basically to never ever put my weapon on "burst".
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #42
Kalzazz

Well, I was thinking more that fantasy combat seems to more often occur in more open areas where you can see farther, and has higher likelihoods of less stealthy folks involved for greater starting distance as well

However consulting with Godogma he feels that in my DMing fantasy involves closer combat than modern, so maybe I am confused.

As for automatic fire, I am not usually running terribly realistic games (which you may or may not have noticed from my discussions on the forum), however, in GURPS firing your weapon full auto has very nice ROF bonuses to hit something, and also, if you get a good roll it means potential for more damage or less dodging, so, it is very nice.

It consumes ammo much faster, but A - Mook types tend to not live long enough to worry about it and B - Hero types who use guns tend to favor magazine fed guns and the Quick Reload perk, so they can keep firing with nary a pause as they slam home another mag

That said, I am surprised that close ranges are not when automatic fire is considered desirable, as my dads stories about his training indicated that when the enemy was right on top of you was one of the few intended times to use it (my dad had his calibration teams M14A1).
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
However consulting with Godogma he feels that in my DMing fantasy involves closer combat than modern, so maybe I am confused.
I'm a little confused by this distinction between "fantasy" and "modern". "Fantasy" is a genre, and "modern" is an era (or maybe an art-crit term). Surely you can have "urban fantasy" and the like? From the descriptions of your games I assumed they were urban fantasy!
Quote:
That said, I am surprised that close ranges are not when automatic fire is considered desirable, as my dads stories about his training indicated that when the enemy was right on top of you was one of the few intended times to use it (my dad had his calibration teams M14A1).
In the defense, sure. In the assault, MGs and LMGs need to provide support-by-fire. Remember these are heavy, awkward weapons that aren't easy to use in fire-and-maneuver.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, arm st, lifting st, striking strength, week, [basic]