Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
mstlaurent

Default New G.E.V. Edition?

So, I'm an Ogre Fan from way back. It was actually the first wargame I every played, I bought a copy of the Metagaming edition from an ad in Galaxy magazine back in 1977. But I got out of wargaming in general after I got married, my wife is more into German-style board games. I only heard about the Ogre Kickstarter after it was all over, still kicking myself over that.

Over the last couple of years my kids have really gotten into games, and a couple of months ago I introduced them to Ogre through my old copy of Ogre/G.E.V. in the VCR box that was rattling around in the game cupboard. (Which has Shockwave, Battlefields, and Reinforcements in it as well. Like I said, I'm a fan from way back.) So now it has turned into my oldest's favorite game, we're playing it all the time. I know he would go bananas for one of the new mega editions, and Christmas is coming up.

Which, to make a long story tedious, brings me to my question: Will there be a corresponding new edition of G.E.V. to match Ogre 6th Edition? If not, I will probably buy a copy of Ogre DE off of Amazon and give it to my son for Christmas. They aren't cheap, but they can be had. If there will be one, then I will hold off, buy a copy of Ogre 6th and give it to him for his birthday in April and then buy him a copy of the new G.E.V. edition when it becomes available in the future. Much cheaper, and I get two presents out of his obsession instead of one.

So, anyone on SJ staff want to offer up some prognostication to help Dad make some gift decisions?
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: New G.E.V. Edition?

You can buy the ODE maps and counters now from Warehouse 23, so you could get the Ogre 6th when it hits stores, and then add the ODE parts afterwards.

Edit for links to W23:

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...attlefield-set

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...ra-counter-set
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
Will there be a corresponding new edition of G.E.V. to match Ogre 6th Edition?
It really depends on sales of the upcoming Ogre titles. It is too early for us to say at this time whether or not there will be such a release.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
Dave Crowell

For what it's worth I asked my FLGS today to pre-order me Ogre 6e and the Reinforcement Pack when they become available.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
mstlaurent

Well, ODE it is then! Time to start scouring Amazon and EBay. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
wolf90

You can find them for as little as $100-120. $150 is fairly common. Plus some online stores still have them in stock.

Just so you know what you're getting, any game listed as a "Kickstarter" version (as opposed to "retail" version) will have an additional 6 sheets of counters, units and overlays, including some that can't be found in the retail version. Note: none of the "exclusive" counters are required to fully enjoy Ogre Designer's Edition; they just add a little more to the game. Either the KS version or the retail version may also come with the "ACD sheet", but that can be bought here as well (and again, just extras).

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
Tim Kauffman

Spoiler:  

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-28-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
mstlaurent

Actually, I just picked up a copy of the retail ODE, NIB, on BGG for $89 + shipping. Very stoked. My son is going to have a stroke on Christmas morning. :-) Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
Well, ODE it is then! Time to start scouring Amazon and EBay. Thanks for the response.
Try the marketplace on BGG.com usuallt a few there.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #10
mstlaurent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Considering what this thread has been about, my money is on the release of G.E.V. Pocket Edition, but a G.E.V. 6e announcement would be neat, too.
That could be a possibility as well. It would be a good way for them to test the waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Try the marketplace on BGG.com usuallt a few there.
That's exactly where I bought one. There's a bunch still up there, including the guy I bought mine from, apparently he had more than one copy.