Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #31
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Affliction level costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
That's an old news. Since 2005 (Powers, p. 109), Reliable has become a generic enhancement, not Warp-specific. At that time, Kromm introduced the counterpart of Reliable that's named Hard to Use (Powers, p. 107), which is priced at -5% per -3. Kitty-chan is suggesting "Easily Resisted, -5% per +1 (thus, -15% per -3) on the victim's resistance", but isn't it too big a limitation yet less disadvantageous than Hard to Use? My point is this.
For starter Hard to use effects your rolls to use the power. "Easily Resisted" affects the target opposed rolls.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #32
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Why not simple -5% Resist+2?
If I were the designer, I'd exchange prices between Hard to Use and Easily Resisted.

Hard to Use: -5% per -1 on the user's activation roll.
Easily Resisted: -5% per +3 on the victim's resistance roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
For starter Hard to use effects your rolls to use the power. "Easily Resisted" affects the target opposed rolls.
Yes, and I'm aware of that (see this post). My point is that Easily Resisted should be a smaller limitation than Hard to Use, because suffering penalties on the user's activation roll is generally more disadvantageous than granting the victim a resistance bonus.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
but 4p/die is likely fine.
Surely pentaphilia demands this be [5]/level?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #34
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Surely pentaphilia demands this be [5]/level?
Nah, Afflictions are usually metabolic and thus Toxic.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #35
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
My point is that Easily Resisted should be a smaller limitation than Hard to Use, because suffering penalties on the user's activation roll is generally more disadvantageous than granting the victim a resistance bonus.
I disagree. Hard to use is based on the attackers ability and is often bought up to compensate.
Easily Resisted is giving the defender an edge and there is little to no control you have over that. Also the margins are different. So a few points on resistance is often more significant then a few points on using an ability.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #36
jacobmuller

Has anyone used the #/level version with effects as per Innate Attack & Side Effect? Is 4/ level good?

Would an example of this change be: Electrolaser Pistol HT-4 (2) aff becoming Electrolaser Pistol 5d (2) aff. And, Range aside, that'd be 30cp as an ability? Is the RAW 75cp?

Last edited by jacobmuller; 12-12-2011 at 09:19 AM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #37
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
(And it's only a limitation on Magery because what else are you going to limit? You can't exactly throw limitations on the spells themselves . . .)
Why can't you?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #38
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Why can't you?
No point in the GURPS system as it stands today allows limitations on skills. Or enhancements. There are rules for "stunting" temporary enhancements onto spells, but that's a parallel of the stunt rules from GURPS powers and the Psionic Powers power techniques rules, not a parallel of just "buying enhancements" on your spells.

No permanent enhancement rules, and no limitation rules at all. So. You'd really be going off into Ye Uncharted Territory.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #39
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
No point in the GURPS system as it stands today allows limitations on skills. Or enhancements. There are rules for "stunting" temporary enhancements onto spells, but that's a parallel of the stunt rules from GURPS powers and the Psionic Powers power techniques rules, not a parallel of just "buying enhancements" on your spells.

No permanent enhancement rules, and no limitation rules at all. So. You'd really be going off into Ye Uncharted Territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set, Page 102, section: Enhancments
You can apply enhancements to advantages, and more rarely to basic attributes and secondary characteristics. The GM might even permit specific enhancements on certain skills, but this is difficult to justify unless the skill functions much as an advantage (which is sometimes true of racially innate skills possessed by nonhumans).
This message is too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set, Page 101, section: Modifiers
A modifier is a feature that you can add to a trait – usually an advantage – to change the way it works. There are two basic types of modifiers: enhancements and limitations. Adding an enhancement makes the underlying trait more useful, while applying a limitation attaches additional restrictions to your ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set, Page 565, section: Glossary
trait: A character “building block” that affects game play and costs character points to add, modify, or remove. Includes attributes, secondary characteristics, advantages, disadvantages, quirks, skills, and techniques.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 12-12-2011 at 10:06 AM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #40
Icelander

I'm really fine with higher levels of Afflictions being 1/5 of the initial cost. Having each level cost the same was obviously broken, as no player ever took more than one level and even when I added it to NPCs, I felt dirty and inefficient when doing so. Compared to Malediction and the relatively cheap way to ramp up effective skill with Talents and/or Skills For Everyone, I think it's fair enough.