Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Affliction level costs

So I think I like the cost of afflictions where it is, 10 per level. But instead, it seems getting higher levels is usually just too costly from what I've seen (I'd FAR rather get Malediction). Should extra levels just cost +100%, not increase the base cost?

Secondary makes affliction modifiers cost 1/5. Should afflictions have ways of making them easier to resist (negative levels per se)? Can those modifiers cost a different fraction, for a different minus (say, 2/5 for +4 instead of +5)?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Affliction level costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
So I think I like the cost of afflictions where it is, 10 per level. But instead, it seems getting higher levels is usually just too costly from what I've seen (I'd FAR rather get Malediction). Should extra levels just cost +100%, not increase the base cost?
No, absolutely not. The percentiles are applied to "cost per level." If you take ten levels, you apply the percentiles to 100 points.

If the cost bother you, take limitations. Affliction without limitations is really powerful; it properly belongs in a high-end supers campaign with hundreds or even thousands of points.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Diomedes

It's a question that's come up before; making it an enhancement instead probably won't break anything.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Should extra levels just cost +100%, not increase the base cost?
Arguably they shouldn't cost the same as the first level, but a +100% advantage seems likely to be too cheap on high-end afflictions; maybe something like 10 (base) points is no penalty, +2 (base) points per -1.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Arguably they shouldn't cost the same as the first level, but a +100% advantage seems likely to be too cheap on high-end afflictions; maybe something like 10 (base) points is no penalty, +2 (base) points per -1.
Is 2 pts balanced? I was thinking 3, after reading the link.

Whats the point difference between levels for +100% vs +2/+3? I'm not sure whats the most balanced
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Gurps Fan

I like [10] for the first level and [+2] per additional level, too. This won't break anything. It makes high-level Afflictions more affordable, but the Affliction 1 + Malediction combo is already far more cost-effective, as Powers has pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers, p. 41
Finally, note that it's often more cost-effective to add the Malediction enhancement than to buy high levels of Affliction. Against a high-HT target, a Quick Contest of Will vs. HT is more likely to succeed than an unopposed HT roll (even at a penalty) is to fail.
And how about negative levels of Affliction? For example, if I can make the target fall asleep but he can resist at HT+2 instead of HT, how much should this ability cost?
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Is 2 pts balanced? I was thinking 3, after reading the link.

Whats the point difference between levels for +100% vs +2/+3? I'm not sure whats the most balanced
+100% is 10 points for -1. +2 will vary with the enhancement on the affliction (actually, 2 may be cheap).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
kirbwarrior

So, would +3 or +100% be more fair?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 AM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
I like [10] for the first level and [+2] per additional level, too. This won't break anything.
Not entirely true. It makes builds like Affliction 11 [30] possible, which can be gotten as low as 6 points with limitations. This lets you stun someone if they fail a HT-10 roll, and they have to then roll against HT-10 every turn to recover.

Someone pointed out that a way to "un-break" the above build would be to say that the Affliction-1 penalty only applied to the initial roll, not to subsequent rolls. So the target above would roll HT-10 to avoid stunning, then HT (not HT-10) to recover. I haven't playtested that, but it seems like a good start, at least.

Quote:
And how about negative levels of Affliction? For example, if I can make the target fall asleep but he can resist at HT+2 instead of HT, how much should this ability cost?
Easily Resisted (from Thaumatology) is -5% for every +1 to the resistance roll.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Not entirely true. It makes builds like Affliction 11 [30] possible, which can be gotten as low as 6 points with limitations. This lets you stun someone if they fail a HT-10 roll, and they have to then roll against HT-10 every turn to recover.
Uguu. I was forgetting the fact that the victim suffers the penalty for every subsequent recovery roll. You're right. It would be a game breaker unless limited to the initial roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Easily Resisted (from Thaumatology) is -5% for every +1 to the resistance roll.
Easily Resisted Magery on p. 24 of Thaumatology is a limitation for Magery, which is a talent, not for abilities.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote