Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
Grayscale

Default On the Edge and rolling every turn

Hey people,

Does "on the edge" requires a character to roll self control every turn in combat no matter what

or

only if he failed a self control roll before entering combat?

By the text in Basic I'm see to think it's the former, but I'm not sure.
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: On the Edge and rolling every turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exallted View Post
Hey people,

Does "on the edge" requires a character to roll self control every turn in combat no matter what.
Sort of.

You don't need to roll if you voluntarily pick a dangerously crazy course of action yourself. Which you probably should most of the time - if you are even attempting self control rolls very often for any disadvantage you probably are not playing it correctly. You only need to roll every turn if you are trying to do something like fight defensively or disengage. If you are going to All Out Charge anyway, or cast your Spell of Summoning Uncontrollable Demons That Slay Everything Including You, you can skip the roll.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exallted View Post

Does "on the edge" requires a character to roll self control every turn in combat no matter what

or

only if he failed a self control roll before entering combat?

By the text in Basic I'm see to think it's the former, but I'm not sure.
It's the former. On the Edge says "In combat, make a self-control roll every time you take your turn." That seems pretty clear to me. Note that it's the same value as Berserk, so having similar effects seems reasonable.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

As others have noted, the idea is that you don't take the disadvantage if you don't plan to play it. Playing it means doing crazy stuff every turn without bothering to roll to resist save in those rare circumstances where that's super-important. The disadvantage is actually worth more points than Berserk (-15* vs. -10*), so it's generally worse.

That said, there's room for interpretation: "All-Out attack or engage in some other kind of near-insane, suicidal behavior." As the GM, I've often been fine with the latter in lieu of All-Out Attack. For instance, in a medium-range gunfight, taking Move maneuvers to cross the fire zone so you can use your kung fu skills . . . well, I think that qualifies. So does taking the time to Concentrate on turning into a werewolf or activate your super-strength before you go nuts. So do a lot of things that use maneuvers other than All-Out Attack, if they're necessary to set up All-Out Attack or exercise your craziest option.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That said, there's room for interpretation: "All-Out attack or engage in some other kind of near-insane, suicidal behavior." As the GM, I've often been fine with the latter in lieu of All-Out Attack. For instance, in a medium-range gunfight, taking Move maneuvers to cross the fire zone so you can use your kung fu skills . . . well, I think that qualifies. So does taking the time to Concentrate on turning into a werewolf or activate your super-strength before you go nuts. So do a lot of things that use maneuvers other than All-Out Attack, if they're necessary to set up All-Out Attack or exercise your craziest option.
That reminds me of the flip-side of Daredevil. Instead of giving bonuses to unnecessary risks, it requires self-control rolls instead.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

Daredevil with On the Edge makes an interesting combination. Now, here is a question, would Committed Attack from Martial Arts be crazy enough for On the Edge?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Daredevil with On the Edge makes an interesting combination. Now, here is a question, would Committed Attack from Martial Arts be crazy enough for On the Edge?
Against a worthy foe maybe. Honestly I'd probably let you get away with an ordinary Attack in some cases - say the ones where the sensible thing to do is not start an avoidable fight with a vastly superior foe, but you decide to anyway.

The key concept here is "crazy dangerous", not "restricted maneuver list". This applies to all disadvantages of this form really, the restricted lists are intended as examples - it should be at least this bad - far more than they are intended to be definitions.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Stone Dog

The external vs internal divide is a great way of explaining how disadvantages are supposed to work.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self-control