Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #31
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius
I bought a refurbished eee pc 900 (they chopped the memory to 512MB and the ssd to 4GB total), and I've been using it for the same purpose and it's been working perfectly. For $150 USD (less than I paid, but the refurbished chopped-down models have come down in price since then), it's both less expensive and has more features than any ebook reader that I've ever considered. I love everything about it (except the fact that for what I paid, I can get tons more for the same price just a month later - I hit the very start of the price drops)
I just LOVE the strength of the Euro compared to the USD right now :)

I must say, I looked at the 900 model, but the 20€ difference made the extra hard drive, and specially the longer battery time (901 has a bigger batery AND a low power CPU) too good to let pass. Also, I'm going to use it at the university, and 4 GB would be far too little, even with a sensate OS like Linux (though I have zero experience with Xandros, being a Debian man myself)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #32
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Well, I''ve grown tired of waiting, and simply purchased an Asus eee PC 901 at a spanish online retailer for 179€ (+5€ S&H). I'm currently waiting for it to get here, so I can give you some feedback.

So far, the specs look solid, and while the screen might be a little small (8.9" is not much), the resolution (1.024x600) is rather good. Since I purchased the Linux version (Who wants to pay 60€ for windows? it's a BUDGET computer), I really like the act that SJGames offers DRM-free PDFs
I bought an Acer Inspire-One (or InspirONE or something) for much the same reason. I didn't have the option of NOT coming with Windows, but I've got a few windows programs I have no intention of giving up right now, and I think it would catch fire if I tried to run WINE and emulate them. *shrug*

I had a lovely old Tablet PC but it finally bit the dust and I can't afford a new one. I'm waiting to see what Asus does with Tablets, I may end up getting Yet Another New Netbook in the next year or two if someone makes a stripped down tablet available.

So far - I'm quite pleased with it. I prefer the slate/tablet interface for reading, but it's light enough for me to hold in one hand, small enough to balance on my knee while taking the bus or to balance on my CAT while I'm reading on the couch, and it almost fits in my purse (I'm now looking for a slightly bigger purse).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #33
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
[...]Also, I'm going to use it at the university, and 4 GB would be far too little, even with a sensate OS like Linux (though I have zero experience with Xandros, being a Debian man myself)
I'd rather have the 901 (or any of the Atom-processor models), but I haven't found one for anywhere near the same price. The lowest I've found the 901 for is around USD $280, and that only a month after I bought mine. I found that the 4GB drive is plenty of space for linux (eeebuntu) and all the program I use, but I bought a 16 GB SDHC card for data, and I upgraded to 2GB of memory. I may also upgrade the SSD, though I'm not sure whether I'd go for 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB.

I haven't ruled out "upgrading" the machine itself - with the regular price drops, there are already far better deals (full 900 with 1GB of ram and the 20GB SSD for about what I paid for my chopped down model), but for now my machine is good enough.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #34
Progmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by obatron
Wonder how the new large screen kindle will look with PDFs...

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ubSection=News

Of course, how are all the new Kindle 2 owners going to react?
Looks like the Kindle DX has native PDF support.

It looks pretty good to me.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/06/l...-event-in-nyc/
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #35
tjoneslo

Amazon's just posted their Kindle DX for pre-order: 9.7 inch high resolution screen, reads PDFs naively, and supports some other formats, 4GB internal storage. Includes web browser.

Down sides: It not available yet and really expensive (US$489) plus cell phone charges. I also saw a story where a kindle user annoyed Amazon enough for them to cancel the user's account. Which rendered his kindle into a expensive brick.

One of the few times I've seen a something and said "Ok, I want that..."
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #36
AOTA

Kindle DX now that has possibilities. Now if it was only in color.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #37
Alacrity Fitzhugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo
Amazon's just posted their Kindle DX for pre-order: 9.7 inch high resolution screen, reads PDFs naively, and supports some other formats, 4GB internal storage. Includes web browser.

Down sides: It not available yet and really expensive (US$489) plus cell phone charges. I also saw a story where a kindle user annoyed Amazon enough for them to cancel the user's account. Which rendered his kindle into a expensive brick.

One of the few times I've seen a something and said "Ok, I want that..."
So, Kindle is useless without an active Amazon account? You can't load up your own documents without being online?
Alacrity Fitzhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #38
tjoneslo

The older Kindle's it is. See article here. Amazon controls all the books you buy through them, plus manages your subscriptions. If Amazon cancels your account (for any reason they see fit), you no longer have access to you Amazon books or subscriptions. Which, for the older Kindles, was the only content you could have. The newer one with the PDF support, probably not so much.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #39
Gavynn

That Kindle is getting closer to the kind of eReader I am looking for. Even though it has been said a thousand time, 500 USD is more that I want to pay for it right now. I am getting more hopeful though, especially once color shows up.

And right now the new Kindle is beating the pants off the Plastic Logic eReader, for the simple reason that the Kindle is actually a product you can buy, not just s picture on a website that promises it is coming "soon."
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #40
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo
Don't forget the lack of a removable media slot. Compared to that and the aforementioned cell charges, the "not quite letter size" screen factor is a minor annoyance.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf