Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
Pectus Solentis

Default [Spaceships] Questions for Offices and Sickbays

(These rules are written on GURPS Spaceships #1, page 18)

1. Offices have no equipment modifier unless be upgraded to Ops Center, and there is no mention that offices should be devoted to a specific skills (different from Labs) . Then, is an office able to help for all the skills that listed in the explanations simultaneously?

Quote:
Office (1): Contains a desk and display terminal for use by one or two administrators, analysts, etc. Useful for skills such as Administration, Computer Operation, Computer Programming, Intelligence Analysis, Market Analysis, or
Strategy skill tasks. A habitat with 10 or more offices devoted to the same activity can be classed as an “ops center” with +1 bonus to these tasks, or a “large ops center” with +2 bonus if 100 or more.
2. There is a sentence that "Any size sickbay can use automeds for extra $100K per bed, allowing AI computer software to treat patients." written on GURPS Spaceships #1 18p. It seems that "automeds for extra $100k" means there is a base cost for the non-automed sickbay, but there is no sentence that mentions it. Is it omitted? or just is my guess wrong?

Quote:
Sickbay (1): Medical facilities, e.g., a stabilized diagnostic bed, trauma maintenance, and surgery, for diagnosis and treatment of one patient at a time (First Aid for 1-4 patients). Multiple sickbays extend this, e.g., a “20-bed sickbay” is 100 tons. Fulfills equipment requirements for Diagnosis, First aid, Physician, and Surgery skill with a +2 bonus. Ten-bed or larger sickbays (“clinic”) increase this to +3; 100+ beds (“hospital”) give +TL/2. Any size sickbay can use automeds for extra $100K per bed, allowing AI computer software to treat patients.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Spaceships] Questions for Offices and Sickbays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
2. There is a sentence that "Any size sickbay can use automeds for extra $100K per bed, allowing AI computer software to treat patients." written on GURPS Spaceships #1 18p. It seems that "automeds for extra $100k" means there is a base cost for the non-automed sickbay, but there is no sentence that mentions it. Is it omitted? or just is my guess wrong?
The only basic cost is the cost for a habitat.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
1. Offices have no equipment modifier unless be upgraded to Ops Center, and there is no mention that offices should be devoted to a specific skills (different from Labs) . Then, is an office able to help for all the skills that listed in the explanations simultaneously?
It does say that the ops center requires a certain number of office spaces "devoted to the same activity".

It doesn't really say what the scope of "the same activity" is. The simplest mechanical approach would be saying an op center has to be committed to one skill. But it also might make sense to allow an op center devoted to an activity that involves more than one skill. For instance, an advanced financial day-trading op center might give bonuses to Computer Programming and Computer Operation for automated trading programs plus Market Analysis for short-term trends.
Quote:
I don't think it implies that there's a cost per bed beyond the underlying cost of the habitat space for non-automed sickbays.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It does say that the ops center requires a certain number of office spaces "devoted to the same activity".

It doesn't really say what the scope of "the same activity" is. The simplest mechanical approach would be saying an op center has to be committed to one skill. But it also might make sense to allow an op center devoted to an activity that involves more than one skill. For instance, an advanced financial day-trading op center might give bonuses to Computer Programming and Computer Operation for automated trading programs plus Market Analysis for short-term trends.
I think the latter of your opinion is plausible.

Quote:
For instance, an advanced financial day-trading op center might give bonuses to Computer Programming and Computer Operation for automated trading programs plus Market Analysis for short-term trends.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote