Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
latathorn

Default Boring Game Until Level 9

I'm finding my games of munchkin are all starting to run the same. maybe it's because I'm playing quite often with people that are new to the game, but does anyone have a solution to this?

The way my games have been playing out is everyone is stacking up their items and armor, getting a class and race but no one is trying to stop people from beating monsters. The "Run away" die gets used once a game maybe twice? and I can only remember one time the "bad stuff" happened. and everyone saves their one-shots and monster modifiers until someone is level 9 and about to win. I always feel like I, being the more experienced player, should shake things up a bit so I throw a couple of curve balls their way but they always wiggle their way out of it or someone comes in to help save them and frankly this makes for a boring game. I love Munchkin, I just hate that the first 8 levels go by really quick and then it becomes stop "X" person from gaining the winning level at all cost when they get to level 9.
latathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
emigio

Default Re: Boring Game Until Level 9

if so play unitl level 5/6 instead of 10
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
sain9510

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
if so play unitl level 5/6 instead of 10
This is the best one I could think of too. Unfortuneately that's often how the game goes. But often you have to be the bad guy and just go ham on players right out the gate.
sain9510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
Anh-Dalan

that's why I love Apocalypse and Cthulhu: they have an alternate game end condition which players have to track and take into account as well.
Anh-Dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
Fufu

Quote:
Originally Posted by latathorn View Post
I'm finding my games of munchkin are all starting to run the same. maybe it's because I'm playing quite often with people that are new to the game, but does anyone have a solution to this?
There are some Munchkin sets that are repetitive or over-powered. However, Munchkin Cheats, Munchkin Curses, Munchkin 6 - Double Dungeons (Cthulhu 4, Pathfinder 3, Zombies 3), Munchkin Game Changers, and Munchkin Side Quests are probably going to give your group the variety of game play you seek.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
collinc

When Munchkin Mighty Monsters was announced my first thought was that it would be a solution to the (sometimes) overpowered nature of the late game. I'd love to see monsters that are rarely beaten. Truly mighty monsters.
collinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
serleran

I have the opposite opinion. You're never quite sure what to expect during the "get to level 9" phase, as all sorts of stuff can fly out. However, once a player gets to level 9, everyone knows exactly what's happening, what to do, and how... it just comes down to when by virtue of running out of "stop that!" cards to prevent the win. And, since you get to see the first card pulled, it becomes even more obvious. With multiple people at level 9, it is a simple matter of when the right cards run out and it can often be predicted.

So, for me, the end game is boring. It's the journey there that makes it interesting.

I will say that introducing alternate win conditions, such as Cthulhu and cultists or Apocalypse, or even Side Quests, does help as it becomes more generally random.

Last edited by serleran; 02-12-2020 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added a sentence and fixed some grammar
serleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Jo Flan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serleran View Post
I have the opposite opinion. You're never quite sure what to expect during the "get to level 9" phase, as all sorts of stuff can fly out. However, once a player gets to level 9, everyone knows exactly what's happening, what to do, and how... it just comes down to when by virtue of running out of "stop that!" cards to prevent the win. And, since you get to see the first card pulled, it becomes even more obvious. With multiple people at level 9, it is a simple matter of when the right cards run out and it can often be predicted.

So, for me, the end game is boring. It's the journey there that makes it interesting.

I will say that introducing alternate win conditions, such as Cthulhu and cultists or Apocalypse, or even Side Quests, does help as it becomes more generally random.
This is how it is for me also. The funniest part is the journey to level 9 as everyone is trying to screw each other over so they're not too strong at level 9. Also, since they know they can't keep all the "screw you" cards until the very end. Also, since people often buff their own monsters to gain extra treasure. We just had a game where we buffed a monster to +9 treasures and people were laying everything down to stop us.

I guess the issue is mostly that the OP has a lot of friends whom only play really defensively and save literally everything until the very end and cause no waves early on. At level 9, like you said, it's just waiting on everyone to run out of their "screw you" cards and someone wins. You can't even do any power play moves like say you've got nothing to buff a monster until another player helps so you can screw both of them at once, because you can't help at level 9.
Jo Flan is offline   Reply With Quote