Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
Stormcrow

Default Re: Mechanics for Applying Innate Attack (Air Jet) to Physical Maneuvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wathorn View Post
but I foresee my players wanting to use the ability in creative ways (not just to circumvent spending points). In my mind, it makes sense that if a player can shoot a stream of air from his hand strong enough to knock someone back at 10 yards away, then that stream of air can be used in other creative ways that don't necessarily mean knocking stuff down,
As described in GURPS Powers, what you're describing is a power, not just an ability. "A 'power' is an exotic or supernatural gift that you can direct in different ways to produce a number of related effects." The "advantages that represent different ways the power can manifest" are called the power's "abilities."

So what you want is to build an Air Jet power. In GURPS Powers terms, it has a source (where the power comes from), a focus (air jets), a set of abilities (advantages like Innate Attack, Flight, and so on), a power modifier (usually a limitation that applies to all the abilities in the power and makes them subject to effects on the source), and a talent that makes the power easier to use.

Anything that can be bought as an advantage by characters must be taken as an ability or else the character can't do it with that power. If you want your air jets to propel you, you must take Flight, otherwise for whatever reason you can't use the air jets to fly. Anything that doesn't require an advantage to do can just be thought of as a side-effect of an ability, at the GM's option (e.g., the GM might let you snuff out a candle flame at a short distance because it's a minor effect for which there is no particular advantage you'd ever expect to find in an air jet power).

As said upthread, in GURPS, you get what you pay for. The corollary of that is you must pay for what you get. If you get versatility, you must pay for it.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
khorboth

Default Re: Mechanics for Applying Innate Attack (Air Jet) to Physical Maneuvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I just remembered, in Supers page...41! Wildcard powers!

Wildcard powers is simple: Define base ability, x4 final cost. Done. Anything they can convince you (the GM) that their underlining power can help do (like you examples of Air jet helping with flight/super jump/falling) works.
I second Wildcard Powers. This is exactly what you're trying to do. Anything your players can convince you works up to a given point value. throw some junk around for a bludgeoning attack? sure. A level of super jump? sure. A bonus to aerobatics? sure. Just not all at once.

It's loose, flexible, and totally workable.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote