Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #21
oldgringo2001
 
oldgringo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Silicon Valley
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Um, did all of you miss the part about the big Reality Quake of January 1, 2000? That means that pretty much everything in the Schroeck timeline is subject to revision in any way the GM wants. Constant reality quakes fit right into the genre because superheroes keep getting relaunched, and because despite their awesome powers and their super-science, their world doesn't change too much.

I think one good type of change, which is also very much in the genre, would be to make a most of the characters younger. Voltmaster and Doctor Radiation still work as old guys, but Flamin' Jane would be over 50 now, kind of long-in-the-tooth to be flying around in a minimalist body-stocking.

[EDIT: Removed NSFW link and slight political threadcrap --PK]

Anyway, unless there was a super actually on one of the planes, the September 11 attacks would have probably gone the same way, with Supers as well as F-16s being deployed too late to stop the attacks. IST New York and other supers could have saved more people, particularly if Drop Zone was on the scene.

Last edited by PK; 03-19-2010 at 10:37 PM.
oldgringo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #22
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Based on the little GURPS IST in IW PDF, it would appear that after the reality quake a bunch of advanced technology disappeared and with it open contact with aliens. As far as Flaming Jane goes, I'd be content to have her retired and replaced by a legacy hero. Unlike the comic books, we don't have to keep prominent heroes around in ageless perpetuity.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #23
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgringo2001 View Post
I think one good type of change, which is also very much in the genre, would be to make a most of the characters younger. Voltmaster and Doctor Radiation still work as old guys, but Flamin' Jane would be over 50 now, kind of long-in-the-tooth to be flying around in a minimalist body-stocking.
Ah, but (like the other core IST members) she's got the standard life-extending mutation in her metagene. And that body-stocking is digitally added to the photos, too. You didn't really think a body-stocking would survive being burned for that long, did you?

Okay, okay... That's how it works in the V&V campaign that IST is based on, but it could still apply to IST.

(Besides, have you seen a recent photo of Raquel Welch? Being past the age of menopause does not automatically make a woman unattractive.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgringo2001
No excuse for Al-Quaida? I think not. This bunch is offended by the existance of the United States. They are the spawn of our "ally" Saudi Arabia. For the latest example of their divinely-inspired complaints against our interference, check this out.
(Link removed from this reply because it goes to a NSFW website. -RK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgringo2001
Anyway, unless there was a super actually on one of the planes, the September 11 attacks would have probably gone the same way, with Supers as well as F-16s being deployed too late to stop the attacks. IST New York and other supers could have saved more people, particularly if Drop Zone was on the scene.
You're assuming that Al-Qaeda exists in the IST world. Bob's already given a pretty good explanation as to why it might not, which I quoted earlier in this thread. (And here's a link to the man himself.)
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #24
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
As far as Flaming Jane goes, I'd be content to have her retired and replaced by a legacy hero. Unlike the comic books, we don't have to keep prominent heroes around in ageless perpetuity.
The joke over on Bob's forum is that she'd be replaced by Lingerie Fighter Papillon Rose. (As I recall, Bob started that joke.)

Be careful what you wish for; you might get it.
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #25
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post

You're assuming that Al-Qaeda exists in the IST world. Bob's already given a pretty good explanation as to why it might not, which I quoted earlier in this thread. (And here's a link to the man himself.)
Wouldn't that just transfer the animus to IST and the UN so instead of hitting the twin towers, the U.N. building becomes a target? Of course in a world where the Palestinians are slinging around tactical nukes that would still be small beer.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #26
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Wouldn't that just transfer the animus to IST and the UN so instead of hitting the twin towers, the U.N. building becomes a target? Of course in a world where the Palestinians are slinging around tactical nukes that would still be small beer.
It might. But consider that in OTL, Al-Qaeda attacked the WTC twice - first "conventionally" (which didn't work) and then a few years later with a pair of aircraft (which did work). Trying that against an IST embassy would only make them targets after the first, unsuccessful, attack. Not only are the embassies heavily armored, they also have psychics on staff... or, at the worst, on loan from another embassy. Announcing their existence that way is pretty much the equivalent of hanging targets on their own backs.

Consider also that the IST isn't made up solely of forces from countries that don't have Islam as a state religion. That's a big part of why Al-Qaeda doesn't like us in OTL, and it doesn't apply in the IST timeline.

The Middle East in the IST world is way down on the list of threats - China and Cuba are the hot spots in that world.
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #27
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

The great thing about IST was that it didn't assume things happened just the same as in our timeline, but plus heores.

Assuming 911 and Gulf War 2 happened in their timeline erases this great feature. Besides 911 is not particularly radical for a superheoric timeline. Coast City was wiped out in DC comics!

I would assume that the IST timeline and ours have substantially diverged by now. They will continue to diverge as heroes have more and more effect on their timeline.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #28
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

The Wall can simply be the result of and IST version of the Marvel's Secret Wars.
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #29
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

oldgringo2001, in the future, don't link to that site, or to any site that features NSFW content. (Yes, the story itself was fine -- if a bit depressing -- but it was on a page featuring thumbnails with nudity and links to reviews of hentai, etc.)

Also, as a more general rule, please keep the political rhetoric to a minimum here in the GURPS forum. Political discussions are very much discouraged here. Discussions about how the politics of the IST world may have evolved are 100% fine. Posting links to stories about child brides in an effort to stir up anger towards other countries in our world is off topic.
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #30
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
It might. But consider that in OTL, Al-Qaeda attacked the WTC twice - first "conventionally" (which didn't work) and then a few years later with a pair of aircraft (which did work). Trying that against an IST embassy would only make them targets after the first, unsuccessful, attack. Not only are the embassies heavily armored, they also have psychics on staff... or, at the worst, on loan from another embassy. Announcing their existence that way is pretty much the equivalent of hanging targets on their own backs.

Consider also that the IST isn't made up solely of forces from countries that don't have Islam as a state religion. That's a big part of why Al-Qaeda doesn't like us in OTL, and it doesn't apply in the IST timeline.
But the IST UN itself would be seen by al Qaeda types in much the same light as the USA in the real one, and for somewhat similar reasons.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
international super teams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.