Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #21
RyanW

Default Re: Returning to GURPS - 3rd Edition or 4th Edition

On the matter of skill points, Physical skills went up at the high levels, Mental skills went down at the high levels, and there are no longer half-point levels so characters with lots of low skills probably went up.

Skills with one or two points wouldn't change at all, unless the specific skill was reclassified as a higher or lower difficulty.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #22
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
On the matter of skill points, Physical skills went up at the high levels, Mental skills went down at the high levels, and there are no longer half-point levels so characters with lots of low skills probably went up.

Skills with one or two points wouldn't change at all, unless the specific skill was reclassified as a higher or lower difficulty.
Don't forget Eidetic Memory. A properly optimised 3e character with many mental skills would have Eidetic Memory and a lot of IQ-based skills bought at very low levels. In 4e, without that point crock available, such a character would become rather more expensive.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #23
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post

Don't forget Eidetic Memory. A properly optimised 3e character with many mental skills would have Eidetic Memory and a lot of IQ-based skills bought at very low levels. In 4e, without that point crock available, such a character would become rather more expensive.
Yep. I always found it funny that people would flip out over excessively combat-effective characters. In my long experience, it was those with huge IQ, Eidetic Memory, and dozens (even hundreds) of 1/2- and 1/4-point Mental skills that broke the game every single time.

I still remember playing in a campaign where the GM was fine with 1/4 points. Somebody had 100 skills for 25 points, Eidetic Memory II for another 60, and IQ 15 for a further 60, which was just possible in a classic 100-point campaign with -40 points of disads and -5 points of quirks. Them having every Mental skill that mattered at 13-15 is what killed the campaign. Nobody else was useful outside of a fight, really, and when the GM started tossing out big penalties to curb this character, the rest of us were hosed through no fault of our own. Yet the GM's ire was mostly directed at the character with Karate-25, who aside from being really good at reaming bad guys, was kind of subtle and understated.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
FWIW, recommended point totals were increased because I converted dozens of Third Edition characters – I believe over a hundred – from my various campaigns and found that for characters equivalent in concept and capability, the average Fourth Edition point total divided by the average Third Edition point total was ~1.5 (I think it was actually 1.47 or something, but you get the idea)...

(SNIP)

For most intents and purposes, 150-point Fourth Edition characters are 100-point Third Edition characters, and very close to equally capable. The only reason to stick to 100 points is because you're superstitious about the number 100.
For my Facets campaign, I started the characters at 125 points, for several reasons.

First, I'm definitely a member of the Cult of Stat Normalization. I have no problems with the notion that noticeably smart people have IQs of 12 or 13, while geniuses start at 14. Stats for stronger, healthier and more agile characters should lie in the same range.

(Yes, professional athletes might have 16s in ST or HT or DX -- and there are only about 800 active players with the U.S. National Football League in any year. That's out of a population of a bit more than 325 million. That's how rare that should be.)

Secondly, I wanted characters similar to the First-Responder Search-and-Rescue people I'd gotten to know as a general news reporter out in northeast Colorado.

Mostly, those were "regular folks" with regular jobs. However, they were a little more fit than most people, had an extra skill-set and frequently had military backgrounds.

Thirdly, I knew I'd drop Magery 0 on every character sheet no later than the second session.

Finally, I wanted the players to feel overwhelmed by the circumstances in which the characters found themselves.

All told, I'm pretty pleased with how that worked out.
tshiggins is online now   Reply With Quote