Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
vitruvian

Default Re: Ideas for Fantastical France?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huscurian View Post
Can you explain to me what/who is Durandal or Malagigi? Huon? What about Tannhauser? What is the Venusbergs? Are they a faction?
Wikipedia's not on blackout anymore... ;-)

But seriously, Googling these things will get you answers faster than I could possibly type them out.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
Huscurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Wikipedia's not on blackout anymore... ;-)

But seriously, Googling these things will get you answers faster than I could possibly type them out.
*bangs head on wall time and again* Must... Use.... Brain! Arrrghhh! That's why we have the net! Google! Wikipedia! Man....

Don't worry about it. I'll google and wikipedia these peoples/factions/whatnots.

But thanks for your wealth of information, Vitruvian, and to everyone. Please do keep contributing if you wish!
Huscurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Agree with that, it's not for nothing that I mentioned Agrippa and Paracelsus and Nostradamus upthread.
It could be argued, however, that these people didn't see themselves as "wizards" in the medieval sense, nor as "sibyls" in the Roman sense; we're probably better off thinking that they had a broad definition of "natural sciences". Alchemists and astrologists, generally speaking, didn't think they were dealing with supernatural forces, but, rather, with natural ones that were not yet fully understood.
I'd go further and argue that magic and science were not seperate pursuits in the 1500s. One could argue that a lot of 'magic' was just science or technology that ultimately didn't pan out.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #24
Astromancer

Quote:
That author seems to have forgotten about talking/anthropomorphized animals, werewolves, dragons, Goeblins (although they may fall under Dwarfs), and a few others...
Werewolves, like ghosts and witches are transformed humans, Goeblins and Lutins are under Dwarfs, and theromorphs weren't in that author's catagories. Although it's clear they should have been.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
Astromancer

Quote:
Not in Spain any longer. This is Habsburg Spain, with some property over the Gibraltar Strait in North Africa taken away from the Moors.
Although the Arab lands were commonplace as a source of supernatural and/or exotic items, wonders, and threats. That's why the Arabian Nights was such a big hit in France.

Quote:
But all of the Matter of France is fair game for legacy stuff, to be sure... one could find Durandal, or Malagigi's spellbooks, or I believe Huon may have been taken away by the faeries to live up to the current time period and could be an NPC. If they travel to Germany, they could equally try to rescue Tannhauser from the Venusberg.
Huon would be alive. Kipling's Fairies say that he's still around in the late 19th century. Joan of Arc was supposed to have found and used Durandal durring her campaigns. Which would make Durandal both magical and Blessed.

On another set of Myths. The French poets said Merlin was imprissoned in the forest of Broceliande in Brittany. Charlemange's paladins often came across Arthurian relics in France. So your characters could do the same.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huscurian View Post

As for Puss in Boots, is that the same Puss in Boots from Shrek? What a cute furry cat, if that's really him! :P I do find the catnip scene too funny in the 3rd movie in Far Far Far Away Land.
Yes, or rather a satire of Puss in Boots.

Quote:
Can you explain to me what/who is Durandal or Malagigi? Huon? What about Tannhauser? What is the Venusbergs? Are they a faction?
Durandal is a magical sword, of great power. However the names and powers of the swords in the Matter of France changed alot. Durandal should be magically tough and impart a similar quality to the user.

Malagigi was a powerful wizard who was particularly gifted in Enchantments and Illusions. His spellbooks would teach those arts first and foremost.

Huon of Bordeaux was a human knight chosen by Oberon to be his heir. By the time of your game Huon has ruled Faerie for around half a millenium.

Tannhauser was a knight and poet/singer (we'd say Bard or Troubadour) who was rejected by the Church, even though God offered forgiveness. He went to live in Venusburgh.

The Venusburgh is an otherworldly realm, the passage from our world is located in the French Alps. The Roman Goddess Venus rules this realm as a queen. It is a realm of romantic and sexual delights, rich in art and scholarship. The Medieval Church proclaimed it and outpost of Hell. Venus sneers at that.

Ancora Imparo

Tags
elf, fantastical, france, glore pour la france, marigold