Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
mehrkat

Default Unaging but only for a while

Hi All,

I have an elf like race that doesn't age but their clock "runs out" after approximately 200 years. Basically they are completely healthy and hale then they begin making aging death rolls really close to 200 years so they die of old age as a young looking person at between 190 and 220 years or so

I was thinking Unaging 15 points -80% 3 points what say you in the fora is that a fair cost.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Unaging but only for a while

Isn't this just Extended Lifespan plus Self Destruct?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Hi All,

I have an elf like race that doesn't age but their clock "runs out" after approximately 200 years. Basically they are completely healthy and hale then they begin making aging death rolls really close to 200 years so they die of old age as a young looking person at between 190 and 220 years or so

I was thinking Unaging 15 points -80% 3 points what say you in the fora is that a fair cost.
actually I'd just buy Extended Lifespan and Self Destruct but with (No Visible Change, whatever%) EDIT: Probably 0% personally
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
mehrkat

wow I completely missed self-destruct. thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Hi All,

As good as anything I suppose. Personally I'd probably go with [0] as a feature, but then I don't think charging characters for you racial lifespan is sensible at all. You get disadvantage points if your *character* is old enough it is going to matter to him personally.

You should charge whatever you would for not making any aging rolls until you reach 200 (which I consider free unless you start the game at 195 or more), plus whatever you'd give back for being doomed to drop dead on your 200th birthday (officially this is zero unless you are 198 or more, in which case it's Terminally Ill).

Note that if your Unaging makes you immune to unnatural aging until you reach 200, i.e. you can't be forced to die of old age sooner than that, then you *don't* qualify for -80%. Most of the real benefit of Unaging is either in that immunity, or in synergy with other life support advantages as effectively an Extra Life (allowing you to be buried somewhere for a long time and emerge alive). Just having a long natural life-span is really pretty useless to an adventurer, who isn't likely to die of old age anyway.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Isn't this just Extended Lifespan plus Self Destruct?
Yep. Two levels.

The first level pushes the first aging threashold back from 40 to 100 and the second goes from 100 to 200. Technically you need the 0 pt feature of Early Maturation to aboiud a very long childhood.

The slightly odd thing is that this is net a -6pt Disad. even though it looks like a much better deal than Longevity or simply standard aging rules.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin
The slightly odd thing is that this is net a -6pt Disad. even though it looks like a much better deal than Longevity or simply standard aging rules.
ISTR this coming up before, although a quick search did not turn up a directly relevant post. Even using Rev's adjusted prices would make this a net -3 points, for a package trait that is better than default aging rules. In such cases as this, Self-Destruct seems like it should just be a Quirk or a limiter on the advantage.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Captain-Captain

We are immortal for a limited time -- Rush
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elf, unaging