Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
SuedodeuS

Default Re: Fast-Draw Parry

Looks good, Kromm. Personally, I'd probably note that having one's hand on the weapon grants a +2 to Draw Parry (not to exceed Prerequisite Parry). Situations where you have a hand on the weapon but are attacked before you try to draw will be rare, of course.

The intent is that the character makes his Fast-Draw at no penalty (that is, no -10 for going against a Ready foe), the penalty simply carrying over to the Parry, correct? Also, what about multiple attacks? Does the character simply use his Parry score (modified by number of attempts, including the Draw Parry) against every attack after the first, or does he keep using Draw Parry? Finally, would Fencing weapons benefit from the improved Retreat bonus when used this way?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
...To use it, you must be carrying your weapon in a way that lets you use Fast-Draw, and you must have enough free hands to draw and wield it; e.g., one for Broadsword and Fast-Draw (Sword), but two for Two-Handed Sword and Fast-Draw (Two-Handed Sword).
I'd waive this requirement for certain uses of Grip Mastery. Frex, I don't draw my katana two-handed, but I always use it that way. Getting both hands on the blade is part of what you do reflexively after the draw.

On the other hand, for this, one might say that you MAY use the one-handed skill for a two-handed weapon, but you use whichever is WORSE to calculate your parry.

So if I have Two-Handed Sword at 16, and Broadsword at 12 either through points or default, if I draw one-handed, my Reactive Parry is based off the skill of 12, rather than 16.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #23
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'd waive this requirement for certain uses of Grip Mastery. Frex, I don't draw my katana two-handed, but I always use it that way. Getting both hands on the blade is part of what you do reflexively after the draw.

On the other hand, for this, one might say that you MAY use the one-handed skill for a two-handed weapon, but you use whichever is WORSE to calculate your parry.

So if I have Two-Handed Sword at 16, and Broadsword at 12 either through points or default, if I draw one-handed, my Reactive Parry is based off the skill of 12, rather than 16.
I think if you're drawing your katana one-handed, you're actually using Fast-Draw (Broadsword) rather than Fast-Draw (Two-Handed Sword). Thus, when parrying while doing such, you should probably use your Broadsword skill. I would probably allow a Perk that causes your Fast-Draw Parry to default to Two-Handed Sword, however, so that characters focusing on Iaido and the like aren't overly inconvenienced (and so characters like Gatsu can pull off that stylish parry-while-drawing maneuver).
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #24
vsh

With high level of Fast-Draw this technique is actually better than conventional Parry.
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #25
Last Pawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
With high level of Fast-Draw this technique is actually better than conventional Parry.
Honestly I just don't see how. Care to explain please?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Pawn View Post
Honestly I just don't see how. Care to explain please?
With Fast-Draw 16+, it offers a 9.3% chance of an automatic Parry regardless of Deceptive Attack or Feint penalties.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
With Fast-Draw 16+, it offers a 9.3% chance of an automatic Parry regardless of Deceptive Attack or Feint penalties.
How?

The fast-draw roll just says whether you can get a weapon in hand. You are still rolling vs Parry-5 for an unimproved technique.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
How?

The fast-draw roll just says whether you can get a weapon in hand. You are still rolling vs Parry-5 for an unimproved technique.
In Kromm's writeup, a critical success on a Fast-Draw roll translated into an automatic Parry.

I'm not sure I like that rule. As far as I know, a Critical Success on a normal Fast-Draw roll has no special benefit. It certainly doesn't translate into an automatic success for the next attack or parry.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #29
tomservo

Wow, this forum was especially insightful! Great stuff!

What I've learned is that you cannot Fast-Draw on an Active Defense unless a special technique is studied under a style like Kendo or Iaido which teaches such techniques.

Now, I wonder how my Blocking Spell "Fast-Draw" fits into all of this though:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=61715

Secret Spell: Fast-Draw
Blocking; Special
This spell instantly Readies a weapon (or another object) up to 6 lbs., located on the caster's person or within one-yard of the caster, bringing the object directly to the caster's hand, which must be empty. If the object is peace-bonded, tied down, or otherwise immobilized, the spell is wasted (see Quick-Draw Enchantment). If the object is being held by someone, a Quick Contest of ST takes place. Like Poltergeist or Winged Knife, this spell has ST 15 for the purpose of this Contest. If the spell wins, the object is taken from the person holding the object. This spell can be used defensively to disarm an opponent who is attacking you! Treat Critical Failures with this spell as if the caster were the target of a successful Poltergeist spell attack.

Duration: Instantaneous. Like the skill Fast-Draw, the object is instantly Readied.
Range: up to 1 yard
Cost: 2
Prerequisites: Poltergeist, Secret Spell (Fast-Draw), and all Initiate Spells
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
Last Pawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In Kromm's writeup, a critical success on a Fast-Draw roll translated into an automatic Parry.

I'm not sure I like that rule. As far as I know, a Critical Success on a normal Fast-Draw roll has no special benefit. It certainly doesn't translate into an automatic success for the next attack or parry.
Except that the technique can't exceed your base parry. So you'll be rolling against nothing better than what you would have rolled against with a normal parry. Although it does give you two shots at a critical success, it also gives you two chances at a critical failure.

Tags
combat rules, draw parry, fast-draw, kromm explanation