Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #21
selenite

Default Re: Nightfall: Mission Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I'm seeing a lot of love here for the Superheavy.
I don't love them. I just pick them when I want to win.

My love is for infantry. And it makes me so happy that the AI will sit a MkIII next to a town hex to slug it out with the infantry for the whole game instead of going around them to complete its mission. I can actually justify shooting at APs.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #22
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I don't love them. I just pick them when I want to win.

My love is for infantry. And it makes me so happy that the AI will sit a MkIII next to a town hex to slug it out with the infantry for the whole game instead of going around them to complete its mission. I can actually justify shooting at APs.
Yeah, that is another serious AI fail. Just backing up one hex would force the INF to make a decision about leaving the protection of the town.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #23
selenite

Yeah, attacking the INF with only the SBs would've worked better for it.

I will say the AI is handling the Turning the Tables scenario just fine. Beat me twice. Second time an Ogre escaped with only two treads left. Doesn't get much closer than that.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #24
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Yeah, attacking the INF with only the SBs would've worked better for it.

I will say the AI is handling the Turning the Tables scenario just fine. Beat me twice. Second time an Ogre escaped with only two treads left. Doesn't get much closer than that.
It does tend to be better when there's more going on, but it seems to have an issue seeing the forest for the trees a lot of the time and focuses too much on it's objectives without calculating the objective would be easier if it just sidestepped for a moment to deal with something.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 AM   #25
Eugee

Where I find the AI to be the most lacking is that when defending Ogre Attacks, it assumes you are going to beeline for the CP every move.

Every time I play the Ogre after the initial missile volley all the armor piles up in a group behind me. I just roll back into them and obliterate them.

Out of probably 10 runs I've only had units left on the board one time (a GEV that I didn't prioritize when I could catch it).

At that stupid thing kept shooting my SBs instead of treads all the way to the CP and back to the escape.
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #26
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugee View Post
I started with 5 SHVY at the top left deployment limit. 10 HVY at the right bottom limit, and 10 GEVs all starting on the rail.
That OoB worked out well for me, although the victory came somewhat differently.

The SHVYs made short work of the close Mk1, and just ignored the other <it harassed the west team the rest of the game>. They were ultimately responsible for three of the five buildings.

The HVYs engaged the Mk3, but that and the force of GEVs coming SW drew the attention of the Mk5 to the east, and suddenly all those forces were in for it. While the Mk3 was engaged with the HVYs, a small force of 3 GEVs went for the overrun of the SE CP, while the rest ducked to the south edge, hoping to avoid the Mk5. He ended up burning 4 of 'em with missiles before focusing on aiding the Mk3. The others scooted along the map edge and overran the south CP, then headed for the SW one.

Meanwhile, the northern TF had destroyed the west CP, and turned to the SW corner also. The first two GEVs got there first (the third was straggling behind, due to a D result on it) and did most of the work on the last CP themselves, but both were disabled at the end of that initial overrun, so the SHVYs finished it off the next turn when they arrived.

The losses: The entire HVY task force was wiped out, but they provided the critical diversion that kept the two big Nightfall threats occupied, while the GEVs did the mission work. The three GEVs that destroyed the SE CP were cut off by the advancing Mk5, and so stayed to assist the doomed HVYs. Only one was still left when the last CP was destroyed. That was a total of 6 GEVs destroyed. The SHVYs came through unscathed, never even suffering a D result :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #27
Thirdpower

I did 5 Shvy's, 10 hvy, 10 GEV.

I sent the 5 shyv's and 10 hvys sw and they tangled w/ the MKIII. Lost one Shvy and I think one Hvy before taking out all the MkIII weapons. The SHvs then went on to destroy the two Southern most buildings. The Heavies I redirected towards the center.

The GEV's I split into 5/5. One group swung wide west and the other went down the center. The far west group lost one GEV to a lucky MKI shot but then went on to destroy the far west CP and the far SW SP (which took a few turns). The middle group got one shot in on the middle SP before being totally destroyed by the MKI and the MK V which headed that way.

The Hvy's then engaged the MKI and V. They all got destroyed but not before taking out all the MB's of the OGRE's and several SB's.

The SHvy's, after taking out the center/south CP, headed north. They reached it the round before the reinforcements arrived. I lost one more to MKIII missile fire but they and the remaining GEV's then took out the SP.

Edit: And I forgot about the building overrun as well.

Last edited by Thirdpower; 10-15-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Thirdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #28
GuyMacon

Start with 1 GEV at the right as low as it will go, 1 light tank at the upper right corner. 28 GEVs on the top as far left as they can go. 1 Light tank in that last partial GEV stack. The lone GEV and the light tanks are bait. Three of the GEVs will have to take a longer path, but that's OK -- they will catch up, and you can put one in the upper left corner as bait.

With your main GEV force, move counterclockwise from one command post to the next, trying to avoid Ogres. Go ahead and take a potshot at the MB of an Ogre if it is within range, but basically you want to leave the Ogres in the dust.

Move your bait GEV down, your corner bait LT along the road, and the other bait LT left. Once an Ogre starts pursuing the bait, run, trying to lure it farther away from the action.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote