Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
FireHorse

Default Re: Programmed Adventure Editor

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the old Fighting Fantasy books were set to have exactly 400 "nodes" (using your term; they probably called them something else). I don't have any of them in front of me to check, though. In fact, I think the only ones I still have are The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and the 4-volume Sorcery! series (plus the Spellbook), and I'm not sure where those are all buried.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #12
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the old Fighting Fantasy books were set to have exactly 400 "nodes" (using your term; they probably called them something else). I don't have any of them in front of me to check, though. In fact, I think the only ones I still have are The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and the 4-volume Sorcery! series (plus the Spellbook), and I'm not sure where those are all buried.
Yes, I had some of those too, and they are closer to a pick-your-path book in terms of node count. Those can get quite large. I'm using "nodes" as a techy catch-all term; in adventures they correlate to "paragraphs", and in books "pages".

If I recall, they worked on a similar principle to the Ace Of Aces combat books, no? I remember playing that one ages ago, fun concept.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
ParadoxGames

This is awesome! I'm considering writing my first one of these so the timing is perfect. With the help of the TFT Discord group, we put together a list of TFT-related links. I'd like to add this to the PDF file.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Do you mean directly through the site? Like a way to post and share created adventures on shadekeep.com? If so, there are a couple concerns for me regarding that.
That was my first thought, but how about as HTML? Turn each "Go to [entry]" into a hyperlink whose target is another node.

Just spitballing.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
This is awesome! I'm considering writing my first one of these so the timing is perfect. With the help of the TFT Discord group, we put together a list of TFT-related links. I'd like to add this to the PDF file.
Be my guest! I need to drop in on the Discord more often, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
That was my first thought, but how about as HTML? Turn each "Go to [entry]" into a hyperlink whose target is another node.
That was actually my original plan for the program. It was going to be more of a straight web-forms thing written in PHP that would kick out a linked HTML file. It was once I got into developing Shamat that I realised I could do a more graphical application. But HTML output is still a good idea, so I think I'll circle back on that as an option too. Cheers!
Old 03-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #16
ColBosch

I'm a big fan of programmed adventures, and I think this will really help my efforts in writing them. Thank you!
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #17
heruca

I have a feeling this app would be ideal for creating a digital play aid for the Ambush series of board games (published by Victory Games) and other board games with a similar mechanism (e.g. Barbarian Prince, Tales of the Arabian Nights).

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #18
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruca View Post
I was just thinking of the Dwarfstar games the other night. It would be so nice to have those back in print, along with some of SPI's back catalogue. Wonder where in rights limbo those all dwell now...
Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
heruca

Some Dwarfstar games are officially available for folks to print their own copy.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #20
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruca View Post
Some Dwarfstar games are officially available for folks to print their own copy.
Awesome, thanks!