Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 AM   #31
Icelander

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
GURPS $ are equivalent to US 1985 $, which are worth around 2.4x as much as US 2019 $.
No, they really aren't. The Basic Set for GURPS 4e often used 2004 (or so) dollar values as the basis for pricing, when it was available for modern things, and High-Tech and supplements generally aims at something close to unit replacement price for military arms and some kind of median MRSP for commercial stuff.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 AM   #32
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Or you take over a minor country (codename: latveria) and turtle up.
Well, it seems a good option. What could be its geographical location?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:53 AM   #33
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Or you take over a minor country (codename: latveria) and turtle up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Well, it seems a good option. What could be its geographical location?
Realistically? Utopia.

As this megacorporation seems to be for a comic book setting, I'd suggest various Caribbean countries with favorable tax and corporation legislation. Close to CONUS, possibility of owning several small islands for nefarious and secretive corporate HQ, as well as even more remote ones (or floating artificial islands) for secret research labs. See Peter Thiel's abandoned Seasteading idea for a floating city for various top-secret labs.

Actually, just see Peter Thiel.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:59 AM   #34
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Realistically? Utopia.

As this megacorporation seems to be for a comic book setting, I'd suggest various Caribbean countries with favorable tax and corporation legislation. Close to CONUS, possibility of owning several small islands for nefarious and secretive corporate HQ, as well as even more remote ones (or floating artificial islands) for secret research labs. See Peter Thiel's abandoned Seasteading idea for a floating city for various top-secret labs.

Actually, just see Peter Thiel.
How about Bell Island in order to then take over Newfoundland? Or Bouvet Island and then apply the seasteading idea to increase its area?

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #35
Icelander

Quote:
How about Bell Island in order to then take over Newfoundland? Or Bouvet Island and then apply the seasteading idea to increase its area?
Bell Island is in Canada and subject to Canadian laws.

You need a country where the entire body of antitrust or competition law is rejected, which means that you need a small country where you can functionally own the government and make it pass laws that effectively make antitrust or competition laws unenforceable and then opt out of any international agreements stipulating cooperation with foreign governments in such cases.

You can't just bribe a few people to own Canada. Think of a smaller nation, with fewer legislators and special interests that need bribing. Remember, you'd need to accomplish this fairly early in the history of this corporation, so when it was much smaller and less powerful, it had to have been able to pull it off.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #36
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Bouvet Island and then apply the seasteading idea to increase its area?
Bouvet Island belongs to Norway. The Norwegian government is harder to bribe than many. They might be willing to publicly sell the island, but that would draw attention.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:17 AM   #37
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
You can't just bribe a few people to own Canada. Think of a smaller nation, with fewer legislators and special interests that need bribing. Remember, you'd need to accomplish this fairly early in the history of this corporation, so when it was much smaller and less powerful, it had to have been able to pull it off.
How about...claiming the Antarctica? Otherwise take Bell Island then claim independency?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:18 AM   #38
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Bouvet Island belongs to Norway. The Norwegian government is harder to bribe than many. They might be willing to publicly sell the island, but that would draw attention.
Buy it, then claim sovereignity?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:22 AM   #39
Icelander

Quote:
How about...claiming the Antarctica? Otherwise take Bell Island then claim independency?
Quote:
Buy it, then claim sovereignity?
Secession didn't turn out well for the Confederate states.

In general, I don't expect many states to react well to having a corporation, in effect, rise in rebellion against it. Unless you think that your corporation, in that early stage of its development, can win a war against NATO, avoid trying to start a war against any NATO state. Both poles are claimed by various governments, so you can't claim them either, not without giving any number of states casus belli (and if the UK will fight a war over the Falkland Islands, which no one wants or needs, they'd fight a war over anything you try to annex).

If it can win a war against NATO, it's probably a world government by now, not actually a megacorporation.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:31 AM   #40
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
If it can win a war against NATO, it's probably a world government by now, not actually a megacorporation.
If the NATO budget really is 2 billion dollars, yes it could. Whats its budget? Is it 1 trillion dollars?

According to Mass Combat each 1$ invested by the corporation in defense would contest $4 invested by the NATO countries. Maximum military budget would be 100.8 billion dollars (before the merger, each company would be worth about 200 billion dollars and able to contribute 25.2 billion dollars to the shared effort), for which NATO would require 403.2 billion dollars for a 50% probability of success.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Closed Thread