Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Encouraging different attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Not that I don't like the 1-6 table, but why can't the torso be a target of opportunity? I've definitely seen someone, for example, raise or lower their guard as part of their shifty-stance thing and expose their belly. Or pick up an elbow to expose the hips or ribs. I might allow a few of the options to favor, for example, low-line or high-line attacks, or gut punches, etc.
The effect of being a target of opportunity wouldn't do anything when applied to the -0 to hit torso.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The effect of being a target of opportunity wouldn't do anything when applied to the -0 to hit torso.
You're right . . . I missed the "halve the penalty" thing, thinking it was more like "you get +1 or +2." That's what I get for skimming.

dhc
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Combat Openings

... SNIP ...
I like it! I understand why GURPS chooses to make things which are a bad idea outside certain rare circumstances a flat, high, penalty to skill but it does encourage one trick ponies. In a recent GURPS arena with different types of single combat, focusing on a single weapon skill was a clearly superior strategy, to the point that skill caps had to be introduced to prevent Mr Judo-24 With Every Legal Disadvantage effortlessly defeating Ms Broadsword-16, Shield-12 With Decent Attributes and few Disadvantages.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
Daigoro

Carrot and stick.

Stick: As mentioned above, using the same attack twice gives the foe +1 to Active Defense on third and subsequent attacks, as he learns to guard against it or cover that target.

Carrot: On taking an Evaluate, Defensive Attack, All-Out Defense or Wait, the fighter may make a Per roll to "spot an opening." Roll on Kromm's table above, and the fighter may take advantage of the opening on the next round.

The idea is that this will lead to chained Evaluates, causing lulls and flurries, if they're desirable.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Carrot and stick.

Stick: As mentioned above, using the same attack twice gives the foe +1 to Active Defense on third and subsequent attacks, as he learns to guard against it or cover that target.

Carrot: On taking an Evaluate, Defensive Attack, All-Out Defense or Wait, the fighter may make a Per roll to "spot an opening." Roll on Kromm's table above, and the fighter may take advantage of the opening on the next round.

The idea is that this will lead to chained Evaluates, causing lulls and flurries, if they're desirable.
I really like the idea of Evaluate and Wait for this. It would be also interesting to allow Spot Opening as a technique that can be used as part of a Rapid Strike. So if you succeed in a Per roll at -6, you roll on the table; you can then follow up with an attack at -6 to take advantage of it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #26
Daigoro

Quote:
I really like the idea of Evaluate and Wait for this.
We'd probably have to specify that it was an untriggered Wait that was focussed on watching one oppponent.

Quote:
It would be also interesting to allow Spot Opening as a technique that can be used as part of a Rapid Strike. So if you succeed in a Per roll at -6, you roll on the table; you can then follow up with an attack at -6 to take advantage of it.
Would that be ok as part of an All-Out Attack (Double), equivalent to Feint + Attack?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #27
DouglasCole

Quote:
Would that be ok as part of an All-Out Attack (Double), equivalent to Feint + Attack?
At the cost of all your defenses, you get half-off a location penalty, or an opportunity to perform a specific attack at a combination of bonuses that all look to me to be less valuable than the +4 you'd get for AoA (Determined)?

Not sure I'd see an issue with that, though a few playtest fights would be useful.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
Daigoro

Quote:
Not sure I'd see an issue with that, though a few playtest fights would be useful.
Actually, I only threw that out there for the sake of equivalency. I'm not really sure what it would be modelling, though.

ETA: On further examination, using AoA for this would be pointless. No body part on the random table is at more than -7 to target, and all the +1 to hit/-1 to defend results in the d6 table are weaker than +4 converted to +2/-1 with Deceptive Attack.

Last edited by Daigoro; 01-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
mhd

An active way to look for an opening does overlap a bit with the normal random hit location table, so this would seem to serve best as a replacement for this (for melee combat, of course). You have the option of not using it, but you won't ever get a full to-hit penalty off. Which still might give more incentive for evaluate etc. Or similar to what I wrote above, maybe you don't have to use your Evaluate right now? Maybe the amount of evaluate actions required is dependent on the opponent's skill, deciphering his combat style and current situation

A more passive method would have the advantage that it could also be used by less careful combatants, instinctively going for an opening. Critical parry?

Or maybe this would make for a neat use of Extra Effort.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #30
aesir23

Quote:
Carrot and stick.

I love this! The only change I'd make is to make it a Per based combat skill roll (the highest combat skill you have, not necessarily the skill you're using, like resisting feints.)

It makes sense that an experienced fighter would be better at spotting openings.

Sensitivity should be allowed to substitute for or enhance this roll as well.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm answer, maneuvers